sushma.vj

Will Fiance' able to work on K-1 visa?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Permission to Work After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately

apply for permission to work by filing a Form I-765, Application for Employment

Authorization with the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

Any work authorization based on a

nonimmigrant fiancé (e) visa would be valid for

only 90 days after entry. However, your fiancé

(e) would also be eligible to apply for an

extended work authorization at the same time as he or she files for permanent residence. In this case, your fiancé(e) would file Form I-765

together with Form I-485 as soon as you marry.

Culled from uscis page

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Permission to Work After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately

apply for permission to work by filing a Form I-765, Application for Employment

Authorization with the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

Any work authorization based on a

nonimmigrant fiancé (e) visa would be valid for

only 90 days after entry. However, your fiancé

(e) would also be eligible to apply for an

extended work authorization at the same time as he or she files for permanent residence. In this case, your fiancé(e) would file Form I-765

together with Form I-485 as soon as you marry.

Culled from uscis page

From the first page of this thread > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/472443-will-fiance-able-to-work-on-k-1-visa/?p=6723729

If you want to work as soon as possible, then get married soon after entering the US with the K-1 and then file for AOS, along with the forms for the EAD and AP as soon as you get your marriage certificate from the court. It will take around 90 days to receive the EAD. You can still look for a job while waiting for the EAD, you just cannot actually begin to work until you receive it, and have your SSN too, of course. If you have a job offer while waiting for the EAD, you can ask for expedite of the EAD based on the job offer. Do a search here on VJ about it. Someone kindly wrote a post about how to do just that.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Working and Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Inquiry about EAD and AP processes, not K1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

The K 1 is used to enter the USA for marriage within 90 days. You could marry quickly and the next day file the AOS with the other docs to get the EAD card as well which if done at the same time is free. The EAD card should come in about 90 days, allowing the person to work until the green card is approved and issued.

There is no need to sit at home doing nothing. Better to start now to figure out what else can be done that is productive.

I hope you read enough of those posts to discover how difficult the K 1 process is in India. It can be done but sometimes it is very difficult if there is any question about the relationship. Religion, cast ect always come up. Prepare your case carefully.

Marry quickly and file the next day? Doesn't it cost over a thousand dollars to file for AOS? lol Man, I wish I could just hurry up and file once my fiancé and I are married

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Marry quickly and file the next day? Doesn't it cost over a thousand dollars to file for AOS? lol Man, I wish I could just hurry up and file once my fiancé and I are married

It is expensive but the question was about how quickly people can go to work. It takes the AOS filing to trigger the EAD card and get the G card. Or you could just pay the EAD card fee.

According to the USCIS website, it is supposed to take 5 months from filing the I-129f to the interview date with K1 approval.

Edit/correction: 5 months processing until its approved and sent to NVC, then the time it takes to send it to the consulate and then the time (weeks or months) for the interview date, ...so more than 5 months?

Sorry for the wrong info.

10/08/2014 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

11/18/2014 - Bio. Appointment

11/25/2014 - AOS Update (Ready for Interview)

12/30/2014 - EAD Approved (Card in production)

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

01/06/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

01/07/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

01/14/2015 - AOS Update (Interview scheduled)

02/18/2015 - AOS Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2015 - AOS Updated (Card is being produced)

02/19/2015 - Welcome Notice Mailed

02/24/2015 - Welcome Notice Received

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

02/27/2015 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

12/27/2016 - ROC filed (California Service Center)

12/28/2016 - NOA

01/08/2017 - Bio. Appointment Notice received

01/25/2017 - Bio. Appointment done.

12/12/2017 - I-551 Stamp on passport

06/12/2017 - "Approval Notice" DHS website (notice mailed)

06/12/2018 - Card in production

06/16/2018 - Approval Notice/Notice of Action received in the mail.

06/19/2018 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.