lisa ati

How to leave my K1 Visa husband who just joined the army

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi,

I am new to this page but I have been having alot of questions and seem not to get answers from anyone. I am going to keep it as short as I can. I dated my husband after high school in Kenya of which I moved to U.S coz my dad got a green card and I left him in Kenya, only to realize after 2 months in the U.S that I was pregnant with his son, story short I lost the child at 20wks we were communicating well and he promised to Marry me(at the time I was 20yrs in 2003). We lost contact for a while. Flash foward 8 yrs later we reconnected when we started communicating he kept telling me how he wanted us to have a family n how he was almost 30yrs old and has no kids so we discussed him coming to U.S and I went to visit him in Kenya for 3 wks, when I was there it seemed ok at first but something didnt seem right so when I came bck to U.S i decided to end the relationship since I found out he was sleeping with alot of women. 2 months later i found out I was pregnant with his child so I tried to make it work since everyone wanted to know who the father of the baby was, he finally came to U.S in Nov of 2011, less than 2 weeks after he got hea he was already cheating on me, within 2 more months I found out he was cheating with more than 10 women and when I confronted the women the women said that my husband told them that he was with me just to get green card, he kinda changed for a few months around the same time we got our second child, only to find out after our son was born that he had been still cheating on me, going around telling pple i know that I forced him to marry him and our 2 kids are not his and told me one day that he doesn't have life becoz all he does is work and take care of his kids, I had to take kids to daycare with my own money while he sits at home chattin wit women on comp whenever he wasn't working, he kinda had a feeling I was not going to renew his green card after 2 yrs (coming up in Aug 2014) so he joined the army, he doesn't care abt me or his kids, he just graduated from the army a few weeks ago and he doesn't give me a dime for the kids, the only thing he pays is $150/week for one of the kids daycare and doesn't know what they eat, if they need clothes etc. I am tied of him and I may sound mean but I pray that he dies in the army and I will not shed a single tear, I will not even attend his funeral, thats how I hate him for wasting my life when I couldn'v been happier alone or with someone else, My question is can he still get citizenship from joining the army even though I am not planning to renew his green card after the 2yrs(Aug 2014)?...Sorry abt the lenght I tried to shorten as much as I can, I would really appreciate helpful comments.

Thanks.

Since he already has a green card, nothing you can do about it - he can remove conditions on his own but you're still on the hook for repayment of any means-tested benefits he uses. That all would stop once he is a USC, has 40 credits of work, you die, he dies or leaves country. Divorce would not take away from your responsibilities as his primary affidavit of support sponsor.

You can notify USCIS of your suspicion that he married you for a green card by sending in a letter with his A#, your testimony of what you've witnessed, found out or gone through and asking them to include it in his A# file. No guarantees that anything would be done or you even notified that they're looking into it, but you'd have some sense of closure I guess.

What you can do is write to his commanding officer as based on his married status he receives BAH (Basic housing allowance) which is supposed to help your family out. http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bah.cfm

I'd think you can also report him for infidelity as per UCMJ he's supposed to be a well-behaved and model soldier.

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports - As a more appropriate forum~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

1. You are entitled to his housing allowance for him being married and in the military. If he is a low rank such as E-1 you might be better off just taking the $150 per week as it is probably more than his housing allowance per month.

2. There are paths to citizenship by being a member of the US military. The issue he will have is if he doesn't renew his green card he can't remain in the military. He can divorce and apply for a waiver to remove conditions.

I suggest you divorce him and move on with your life.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks so much guys am trying to get as much advice as I can, I meant to add that I found out a year after we had been together that he had a child with another woman, this child is about 4 months apart with my 1st child, I don't know how many more he has out there but I would rather live with a devil that live with this man, he is probably the devil who was in the garden of eden. Sorry I am very bitter.. About the Housing allowance I need to c how I can get that since even paying the $150/week for childcare I have to literally beg for it. Thanks alot

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My question is can he still get citizenship from joining the army even though I am not planning to renew his green card after the 2yrs(Aug 2014)?.

YES.

What's keeping you divorcing him and putting up the kids for adoption with a state agency ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

You would contact legal services at the post he is stationed at for advice. You can also contact his First Sergent or Commander. It is a requirement that he pays you the housing allowance. You and the children are also entitled to military ID cards and benefits.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks so much guys am trying to get as much advice as I can, I meant to add that I found out a year after we had been together that he had a child with another woman, this child is about 4 months apart with my 1st child, I don't know how many more he has out there but I would rather live with a devil that live with this man, he is probably the devil who was in the garden of eden. Sorry I am very bitter.. About the Housing allowance I need to c how I can get that since even paying the $150/week for childcare I have to literally beg for it. Thanks alot

Hi Ms. Lisa,

Good day! Since you need more advice, here is what I feel. I think you just have to MOVE ON with your life. Divorce him and no worry of his immigration stuff, it is now his problem. Don't ever reconcile with him so that you will not be more frustrated. You know who he is. In most cases, the character of a person does not change except if he humble himself to God. If he gives any financial support to the kids, that would be better. But never expect anything from him.

Get your life going by working hard to support your kids and try your best to give them love and care. The kids are your inspirations and if you brought them up well, they will become your assets. It's all that matters now, you and your kids.

I understand how you feel being angry with him, but please STOP IT -- don't ever think of any revenge. It will not prosper you, instead, will lead you nowhere. Remember you also have your mistakes here. It takes two to tango. There were so many red flags even before you got married and having kids. A cheater will continue to cheat for a lifetime without repentance and fear of God.

Love yourself and kids. Always pray for God's guidance and provisions. In the end you will be fine. God will make a way for you and the kids. Just be positive and live life happily. God bless.

Edited by InHisTime

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

It's not up to you to renew his green card. He could divorce you and get his 10 yo old one even if he werent in the army.

Sorry, lady, you woke up wayyy too late.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Yes. Unfortunately for you, there is nothing you can do now. He doesn't need a green card anymore. He can just toss it in a trash. As a US service member he can now become a citizen without a need to have a green card. He could apply for citizenship from the basic training and he guaranteed to have it within 2-3 months. My suggestion to you is to file for divorce and work closely with a lawyer. Maybe you could charge him with immigration fraud.

PARENTS IR-5 VISA TIMELINE
21 September 2015 - Both packets sent
24 September 2015 - NOA1 (E-Mail)
26 September 2015 - Check payment cleared
29 September 2015 - NOA1 (In mail)
25 February 2016 - RFE received
30 March 2016 - RFE response sent
23 May 2016 - NOA2 (Approved)
10 Jun 2016 - NVC Received

SPOUSE K-1 VISA TIMELINE
9 May 2013 - I-129 sent
17 May 2013 - Check payment cleared
18 May 2013 - NOA1 (E-Mail)
21 May 2013 - Touched (Alien Registration Number)
21 June 2013 - NOA 1 (In mail)
12 September 2013 - RFE request (E-Mail)
2 October 2013 - Sent the RFE
3 October 2013 - RFE Response Review
17 October 2013 - NOA2 Approved (E-Mail)
4 November 2013 - NOA2 (Hard Copy)
17 November 2013 - NVC sent the case to the consulate
22 November 2013 - Received by the embassy
5 December 2013 - Completed Medical and Paid Fees
14 December 2013 - Packet 4 received
17 December 2013 - Biometrics
26 December 2013 - Interview (Approved)
2 January 2014 - CEAC update to ISSUED
7 January 2014 - Visa in hand
8 February 2014 - POE JFK NYC
20 February 2014 - Married
31 March 2014 - AOS package sent
17 March 2015 - AOS package APPROVED
27 March 2015 - Green Card in hand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow.....here is my advice for support of your children. I grew up in the military and also had an ex-husband that was in the military. Here's the thing......not only can he get housing allowance if he lives off base but he also collects what they call dependents allowance. In other words if he has children he gets even more money each month for having a wife and dependents.

Years ago when my dad was in the military the soldiers were required to pay an allotment to their wife and if they were not married then to some member of their family.....for example their mother. By the time I was married, the soldiers still got their regular pay, dependents allowance, and housing allowance only if they lived off the base. When I split up with my ex-husband he would not help me out with our daughter and our other child I was pregnant with even though he was still collecting the money. He suddenly wanted to be free!!!

So upon my father's advice, I called the commanding general of the Fort Bragg and ask to speak to him or his aid. Of course, I got his aid and he informed me they could not forced my ex to give me money as they are now on their honor to do so. So again on my father's advice, I threatened the aid with going through congressional channels. Lo and behold, I suddenly started receiving money each month from the Army for the exact amount of the dependents allotment.

Filing with your local courts will do no good. The military protects their soldiers no matter what. You have to go straight to military. And by the way, if he doesn't want a divorce, the military will help protect him from that as well. I am speaking from experience. I grew up in the military and I married into it. Good luck to you and do what u can to take care of your children. Its not their fault their dad turned out to be a dirtbag.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The best thing for you to do is to divorce him and move on. If you have proof that he married you solely for a green card you can report hi to USCIS and they will make the decision as to whether or not they will deport him. If you don't have proof there isn't much you can do, he can remove conditions on his own with a divorce waiver. Good luck.

There are two issue at work here--one you have control over and the other you do not. First, you divorce him and have the court hit him with child support for his two children. I am sure that you will need to have a DNA test performed to prove the children are his. Once divorced, make certain he is paying the court ordered support. If not, you can get him in lots of trouble with his unit. Second part of this is HIS immigration. Do not worry about it as it is HIS life. Move on and do not worry about him. At least with him being in the Army, he is accruing time towards his 40 quarters so you will not be responsible for him under the I-864 sooner rather than later.

It is best to focus on your life and the life of your two kids and not on revenge,

Good luck,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.