34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

If they didn't catch you leaving the Schengen it is unlikely to be a problem with the overstay. How long ago was your last overstay in Italy and for how many days? The ban lengths are much shorter there if there is a problem.

Your other option, as hinted by another poster, is to exercise your fiance's right of free movement throughout the EU to get married or to stay somewhere permanently. For example, you could live just over the Italian border in Slovenia, Austria, or France and then your future husband could continue to work in Italy.

This will also stop any hassle with a need to petition the Italian government for a spouse visa or whatever they call it as you can just get a tag along EU family member resident card in said countries.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if you are still in Italy, I suggest you go in the US Consulate in Naples, on an American Citizen Services Appointment, and talk with a Vice-Consul about this. The Vice-Consuls there also handle immigrant visa interviews, so they can look at some stuff on your beloved, and see what the exact situation is.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He used the VWP to attend college?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, apparently !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The consulate misinformed him about being able to attend school on the vwp so why do you think they are correct that he has a lifetime ban? You need to get verification of this from a reliable source. What was written in his passport or do a Freedom of Information request. The other way, but more expensive, is to file for him and find out what they say at his interview.

This is incorrect, you can get a waiver for lifetime bans from misrepresentation.

I thought cockroach or something is on my screen and I tried to remove it :) Now I see

USCIS: (223 DAYS)

06/01/2013 Sent I-130 (Chicago Lockbox)

06/06/2013 NOA1 (NBC-MSC)

12/18/2013 Case transferred(NSC)

01/14/2014 Alien Registration Number Changed

01/15//2014 NOA2 (Expedite)

NVC: (39 DAYS)

Received: January 27, 2014

Case # Assigned: January 29, 2014

AOS Bill Paid: January 31, 2014

DS-261 Completed: February 1, 2014

AOS Package Sent Via Express Mail: February 6, 2014

IV Bill Paid: February 10, 2014, In Process

IV Package Sent: February 12, 2014

IV Bill Shows Paid: February 14, 2014

DS-260 Completed: February 14, 2014

Case Complete: March 6, 2014

10/26/2013 Sent K-3

10/28/2013 NOA1

12/18/2013 Case transferred(NSC)

01/14/2014 Alien Registration Number Changed

01/15/2014 NOA2

Closed because I-130 also approved.

NVC:

preg.png <p>

Life in Italy sounds awesome. I'm envious.

I have just confirmed that my fiance that is an Italian citizen has been banned from a miscommunication as he was entering into the US in 2009. Long story short, he had a student visa but it had expired. He went to the US consulate in Florence to ask if he needed an extension to go back to California to finish his classes, but was told he did not need an extention and to just go and come back every 90 days and he would have no problems. He did this twice without any worry, but on the third time was stopped in Chicago and questioned by an officer. Once the officer discovered he was half Syrian (arabic) the officer sent him off for more questioning. It was decided that he did not have enough legal evidence to show that he was to leave the states after his allowed stay and he was sent back to Italy in handcuffs. This was in 2009. Now, we have had a relationship for over a year and a half and he'd like to return to the states, but I was told by numerous american attorneys and he was just told by the consulate (without him even getting to explain his story that he did nothing wrong - he never overstayed) that he has a permanent lifetime ban to the states and will be unable to go there. I am having a hard time with this as an american citizen because he cannot even visit with me - even if we have children. No one has given me any hope. I was told by a lawyer that applying for a fiance or marriage visa would basically be wasting my time and I'm at my wits end with this and don't know what to do. I want my husband to come home with me. Most of my family hasn't even met him. It's a terrible situation and anyone that has any information as to where to turn would be greatful.

The other part? I have stayed illegally in Italy three times - the first because I was tricked by a company into staying becuase they were not paying me correctly and told me that overstaying wasnt a problem. The second basically for the same reason and the third, because I am afriad that I will be banned from the EU if they catch me. I am now trying to figure out if I can get married here before I leave so I cannot get banned. I heard this may work if we get married in a church but I haven't heard anyone confirming this - plus my fiance would have to convert to catholicism. My other option would be to go home for 90 days and then attempt to come back but I am afriad they may still catch me for my previous overstays.

Again, if anyone has any advice as to what to do in this situation, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thank you/Grazie,

Li

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

It is correct we don't know what was asked when he went about returning to finish school. We also don't know what was asked when they inquired about the ban. That is why I said find out from a reliable source. It could be he was just refused entry and told his VWP was no longer valid. It could be misrepresentation. It could be a short ban for misuse of the VWP. The issue is we don't know. I say file the petition and be prepared with an attorney if there is a ban.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I honestly doubt they would put someone in handcuffs and slap a lifetime band on them for being half Arabic. However him coming to America to finish school on visa waiver program ? Yeah, that's the bigger issue.as far as you staying in Italy illegally, if they feel as bad about it as Americans do, it's best for you to go back home and get the proper visa and go back to Italy. Because if they catch you, all bridges will be burnt and you and your fiance will have nowhere to go as a couple.

Overstaying an expired visa, which is what sounds like was what happened to your fiancé, does not result in a lifetime ban. You usually get a lifetime ban for misrepresentations. So there is that.

I agree. Seems like your fiancee has not told you the whole story or you are leaving off some facts. You don't get deported in handcuffs for overstaying a visa, or even lying to an IO. Handcuffs mean that it went to another level.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi Li' Please try http:\\www.immigrate2us.com. People there are more experienced in waivers. Good Luck!

I have just confirmed that my fiance that is an Italian citizen has been banned from a miscommunication as he was entering into the US in 2009. Long story short, he had a student visa but it had expired. He went to the US consulate in Florence to ask if he needed an extension to go back to California to finish his classes, but was told he did not need an extention and to just go and come back every 90 days and he would have no problems. He did this twice without any worry, but on the third time was stopped in Chicago and questioned by an officer. Once the officer discovered he was half Syrian (arabic) the officer sent him off for more questioning. It was decided that he did not have enough legal evidence to show that he was to leave the states after his allowed stay and he was sent back to Italy in handcuffs. This was in 2009. Now, we have had a relationship for over a year and a half and he'd like to return to the states, but I was told by numerous american attorneys and he was just told by the consulate (without him even getting to explain his story that he did nothing wrong - he never overstayed) that he has a permanent lifetime ban to the states and will be unable to go there. I am having a hard time with this as an american citizen because he cannot even visit with me - even if we have children. No one has given me any hope. I was told by a lawyer that applying for a fiance or marriage visa would basically be wasting my time and I'm at my wits end with this and don't know what to do. I want my husband to come home with me. Most of my family hasn't even met him. It's a terrible situation and anyone that has any information as to where to turn would be greatful.

The other part? I have stayed illegally in Italy three times - the first because I was tricked by a company into staying becuase they were not paying me correctly and told me that overstaying wasnt a problem. The second basically for the same reason and the third, because I am afriad that I will be banned from the EU if they catch me. I am now trying to figure out if I can get married here before I leave so I cannot get banned. I heard this may work if we get married in a church but I haven't heard anyone confirming this - plus my fiance would have to convert to catholicism. My other option would be to go home for 90 days and then attempt to come back but I am afriad they may still catch me for my previous overstays.

Again, if anyone has any advice as to what to do in this situation, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thank you/Grazie,

Li

Our Timeline
1st Jun, 2013 - Mailed i129f
17th Oct, 2013 - NOA2 Email Notification
27th Jan, 2014 - Visa Interview - Refused Visa eligible for waivers I601 and I212
23rd Sep, 2014 - Visa Received

2nd Nov, 2014 POE Newark

6th Nov, 2014 - Married

7th Nov, 2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed to Chicago

10th Nov, 2014 - Applications delivered and Receipt Date

14th Nov, 2014 - NOA1 Date

20th Nov, 2014 - Received NOA1 hard copies

29th Nov, 2014 - Letter for Biometrics Appointment. Appt date - 12/10/2014

1st Dec, 2014 - Walkin biometrics done

13th Dec, 2014 - RFE email followed by Hard Copy on 12/19/2014 for Marriage Certificate

20th Dec, 2014 - Mailed RFE response with certified Marriage License and Certificate

21st Feb, 2015 - Received notice of potential interview waiver by mail

2nd Mar, 2014 - email received for EAD approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Yeah I talked to a lawyer about this sort of situation myself. Seeing that you are not allowed in Italy anymore You both have to meet up somewhere and get married. Then petition for him here. I agree that you need to show extreme hardship for yourself as to why the USA would have him back for instance he is the breadwinner of the family, sever depression from a doctor. I was also told by a lawyer that he believes they may deny it the 1st time and you may have to appeal. Or if you both had a child together that would be another reason for him to come back. I am in NO WAY stating for you to have a child just so he can come here. And it will take about a year for all the paperwork to go through.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.