MichelleandCraig

Bird's custard in US anywhere?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone...

Thought I would like to try to surprise Craig for New Year's and make a trifle..he likes them, and I've never made one...has anyone found Bird's custard in the US other than ordering it online?? I can do that as a last resort, and I'll probably have to since we live in the boonies, but just thought I would ask. I'm totally kicking myself because his mum/dad just sent us a package a week or so ago...should be coming anytime..and I know his mum would have put some in there if I would have asked..hadn't thought of it then though!!! :( At least his dad is sending over all sorts of curry powders and pastes for him!! Thanks in advance...M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a few recipes online that say use Vanilla Jello Puddings instead.

Other option is to make your own custard. This is Delia's recipe (UK's Martha Stewart/Rachel Ray)

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/traditi...ard,771,RC.html

For the double cream, I would use whipping cream and whip it up a little more than as it comes.

Good luck!

Helen

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

I bought some Birds Custard at The World Market in the summer.

I've seen it a few places but probably online would be the quickest.

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

I dont know that they do Birds custard in cans, but if you can find Ambrosia that is good custard to use for a trifle.

You may be able to find the packets of Birds online somewhere, these you just add water to and they are pretty good to.

Alternatively Michelle if you are looking for authentic English trifle and you are buying online look for the trifle boxes they come with everything you need.

Good luck and hope you have a wonderful christmas

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OMG Michelle, I brought 4 cans with me from Canada because I knew I wouldn't be able to find it here. (I make Nanaimo bars with it.)

Wouldn't you know, the local Safeway just got it in as a new item. I don't know if you have Safeway out your way (or if it's called something else) but they may have it as well. In ours it was in with the fancy jams and plum puddings etc. you get around this time of year. :)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Michelle,

I dont know if you have any Woodmans grocery stores near you, but they carry Ambrosia Devon Custard. They have an international aisle thats pretty good. We get our Bisto, digestives, custard and other goodies there. :)

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Long available at CanadianFavourites bakery (also Horne's).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

I can get bird's custard powder really easily here in Indiana/Kentucky. Our local Meijer supermarket stocks it in the international aisle. I have also managed to get it in individual sachets of powder from another deli/international shop - just a small local one.

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

My local supermarket (Wegmans) has it in both carton (i.e. premade) and powdered form. They also have cans of Ambrosia Devon Custard. Sometimes when I'm really naughty I buy a can of custard and a tinned Heinz Treacle Pudding and eat them.

This is usually followed by 5 days of feeling sick to my stomach. ;)

My local supermarket (Wegmans) has it in both carton (i.e. premade) and powdered form. They also have cans of Ambrosia Devon Custard. Sometimes when I'm really naughty I buy a can of custard and a tinned Heinz Treacle Pudding and eat them.

Where abouts are you dr lha. I am just outside of Philadelphia and was wondering where Wegmans is?

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Where abouts are you dr lha. I am just outside of Philadelphia and was wondering where Wegmans is?

I live 3 hours drive from Philly. Here are the locations of Wegmans in PA:

Wegmans Allentown 3900 Tilghman Street Allentown

Wegmans Bethlehem 5000 Wegmans Drive Bethlehem

Wegmans Downingtown 1056 East Lancaster Ave. Downingtown

Wegmans Erie 6143 Peach Street Erie

Wegmans Erie West 5028 West Ridge Road Erie

Wegmans Nazareth 3791 Easton / Nazareth Hwy. Easton

Wegmans Scranton 1315 Scranton-Carbondale Rt 6 Scranton

Wegmans State College 345 Lowes Blvd. State College

Wegmans Warrington 1405 Main Street Warrington

Wegmans Wilkes-Barre 220 Highland Park Blvd Wilkes-Barre

Wegmans Williamsport 201 Williams St Williamsport

EDIT: I think the closest Wegmans to Philly is in Mt Laurel, NJ.

Edited by dr_lha

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I went holiday shopping two nights ago, and couldn't find anything anywhereeeeeeee :( Like you say, Cheeky, I've seen a lot of recipes that call for vanilla pudding instead. E, happy holidays to you too!!! :) (well, to everyone else too! :P ) Cerise, I wish I had some of that!! :lol: Hard to find *anything* up north here...no isles like that..international foods, etc. :( Oh, Marylou...WOODMANSSSSSSSSSSSS. :( For the longest time after I moved here about 11 years ago, I called our local supermarket (Econo Foods and Super One) Woodmans! Just couldn't get used to it..if they have Ambrosia there, I *so* wish I still had one near me...Craig lovessssssssssssssssssss Ambrosia rice pudding in particular, but no can do around here! Looks like I will have to order online, and probably not for New Year's now, but he will like it anytime I do it, I know. Oh yeah..and Cerise...going to make some mini sausage rolls for our get together, probably tomorrow night. :) So glad I got the recipe from you that time!!! :thumbs: Anneelizabeth, great to see you around..it's been awhile!!! For everyone else, thanks a lot for the links and replies (Cherry, dr lha, Janice, Kezz, ajames...) Hope you all have a WONDERFUL Christmas and even better New Year!! :thumbs::) :) :) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I went holiday shopping two nights ago, and couldn't find anything anywhereeeeeeee :( Like you say, Cheeky, I've seen a lot of recipes that call for vanilla pudding instead. E, happy holidays to you too!!! :) (well, to everyone else too! :P ) Cerise, I wish I had some of that!! :lol: Hard to find *anything* up north here...no isles like that..international foods, etc. :( Oh, Marylou...WOODMANSSSSSSSSSSSS. :( For the longest time after I moved here about 11 years ago, I called our local supermarket (Econo Foods and Super One) Woodmans! Just couldn't get used to it..if they have Ambrosia there, I *so* wish I still had one near me...Craig lovessssssssssssssssssss Ambrosia rice pudding in particular, but no can do around here! Looks like I will have to order online, and probably not for New Year's now, but he will like it anytime I do it, I know. Oh yeah..and Cerise...going to make some mini sausage rolls for our get together, probably tomorrow night. :) So glad I got the recipe from you that time!!! :thumbs: Anneelizabeth, great to see you around..it's been awhile!!! For everyone else, thanks a lot for the links and replies (Cherry, dr lha, Janice, Kezz, ajames...) Hope you all have a WONDERFUL Christmas and even better New Year!! :thumbs::) :) :) M.

We always used Blancmange in trifle and it can be made from scratch.

Blancmange

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1/3 cup sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup cold milk

1 1/2 cups milk, scalded

1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix cornstarch, sugar, and salt; combine with cold milk. Gradually

add hot milk. Cook in double boiler, stirring until thick; cover

and cook 15 to 20 minutes. Add vanilla. Pour into molds, rinsed

with cold water; chill until firm. Serve with fresh or canned

fruits, cream or pudding sauce. If pudding isn't to be molded,

increase milk to 2 1/2 cups. The same amount of arrowroot or 6

tablespoons flour may be substituted for cornstarch. Serves 6.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.