Mosshawk

Confusion on forms and contacting the embassy in the uk

18 posts in this topic

hi,

It would probably be easier to tell you a little story than try to explain my situation. So after I received a letter from the us embassy explaining that I should start filling out the appropriate forms and directed me to a the embassy's website. After filling in the DS-160 and attending the medical I filled in a contact form for the embassy to check on the status of my case. The correspondence simply re-linked the same web address and stated that the medical was received but forms were missing, I noticed I'd missed a "Notification of applicant Readiness". After filing this form and submitting I fired another contact form to the embassy but 1 month later have received no reply, I've tried the phone numbers numerous times and the few times I've been able to talk to a human they've been unable to help, most in fact simply dismissed me to the website again.

I need to know if there is a way to contact anyone who can check individual case files and see exactly what is missing or needs amending. Or if this is a common mistake/happening in this process.

Appreciate any guidance on this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to UK Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

hi,

It would probably be easier to tell you a little story than try to explain my situation. So after I received a letter from the us embassy explaining that I should start filling out the appropriate forms and directed me to a the embassy's website. After filling in the DS-160 and attending the medical I filled in a contact form for the embassy to check on the status of my case. The correspondence simply re-linked the same web address and stated that the medical was received but forms were missing, I noticed I'd missed a "Notification of applicant Readiness". After filing this form and submitting I fired another contact form to the embassy but 1 month later have received no reply, I've tried the phone numbers numerous times and the few times I've been able to talk to a human they've been unable to help, most in fact simply dismissed me to the website again.

I need to know if there is a way to contact anyone who can check individual case files and see exactly what is missing or needs amending. Or if this is a common mistake/happening in this process.

Appreciate any guidance on this.

You must have missed the part after you filled out the Notification which states they won't give status updates by email or by phone. You've been waiting 1 month, they're taking 6 weeks so I reckon you'll probably hear something in January. If you're lucky it'll be at the end of December but with Christmas coming up I'd say its unlikely.

Edited by Wheatley

"What's yours is mine!"

The truth is, the embassy doesn't really want or have the staff to inform you of status or provide a step by step pat on the head. They want you to read the instructions and get it right, then wait for an interview. Some have waited 6 weeks for that interview letter once everything is in.

You may be able to find out from the Dept of State if each of the three things are received --DS-160, medical results, Readiness form. Be aware that the embassy may not record to your record the receipt of each item for several weeks. Since it has been a month DOS should be able to help you. They may know your interview date too, if it has recently been assigned. Some people didn't get their letter, so not a bad idea to call DOS since a month has passed.

DOS (202) 485-7600 press 1, then 0

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Yes I just received word from my lawyer that my interview date was yesterday and he has only received this information today. I have received no letter email or phone call, and this is even more confusing seen as I only completed my Readiness Form on the 20/11/13 (although the medical was much earlier). so this hasn't quite been a full month yet. I'm currently working with my fiancée and lawyer to figure out what the next step should be, but any advise is more than welcome.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Nich-Nick, this "I missed the interview" stuff is becoming an unfortunate refrain at this Embassy. I know you have been on here a while and been a great help to many. If you could do a post that they would PIN that warns people how once they submit their readiness form they must watch and contact CEAC regularly so they don't miss their interview it would be a great help. Lots of people just seem to wait to hear from the Embassy, which for many is fatal. If you can, thanks! (I would do it, but don't know if they would pin it.)

Nich-Nick, this "I missed the interview" stuff is becoming an unfortunate refrain at this Embassy. I know you have been on here a while and been a great help to many. If you could do a post that they would PIN that warns people how once they submit their readiness form they must watch and contact CEAC regularly so they don't miss their interview it would be a great help. Lots of people just seem to wait to hear from the Embassy, which for many is fatal. If you can, thanks! (I would do it, but don't know if they would pin it.)

Nich and I sort of discussed opening a new NOA2-Interview thread for 2014 with all the changes that have happened this year. I believe she's got a draft ready but I think she's been busy. Something we can look at again now things have settled down a bit regarding all the changes.

"What's yours is mine!"

I have been somewhat busy...two separate youthful (16 and 21) visitors (niece/nephew) from England for 8 and 13 days we kept entertained and cleaned up after. Exhausting! The niece left Monday. In between we took a road trip to New Orleans and I was also really sick for about 10 days. But mostly I am so frustrated by the inonsistencies at the embassy that I am not even motivated to try to summarize a new "guide". When you think they have settled into a pattern, the pattern changes. The payment sight changes. The DS-160 link on their sight goes to a different looking page than it first did. If you write up one of those, it will be invalid in a few weeks.

I haven't seen a copy of the latest instruction letter. They seem to link people to this http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/iv_and_k_interview_checklist.pdf which does not mention the Readiness for Interview form. Do they still want that? It is still on their web instructions, although you have to click "read more" to find it. Nobody bothers to read more of anything so that is missed. Can you get an interview without it? The OP seems to have or was the lawyer making that up? Does the latest instruction letter still direct people to http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html ??

Who wants to specialize and write up everything CEAC says and the details of what to choose to use it. I haven't even bothered to look at it lately. Are there drop down choices to be made?

Who wants to focus on the payment and courier site and how to navigate it? I know it has changed appearance from when some of the first ones used it.

Does the interview letter still refer people to IV-19? Is that appropriate to add to a guide? This one http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/IV019_fiance_appt_letter.pdf

Who is new and lost , but can scan their recent instruction letter as a contribution? Or interview letter?

Wheatley and Sharkano, you seem to have a good grasp of the process and a clear way of explaining. What parts will you write up? Do you plan to stick around and help? Many really good people come along, are smart enough to synthesize the scatter bits and pieces into the big picture, then they disappear. I just keep on when I am ready to drop out because I feel sorry for a new batch coming along and nobody is answering their questions. So Uk forum posts get answered incorrectly by someone going through Manila. I don't really intend to be a Queen Bee to this forum, I just feel sorry for people who can't read and think it through for themselves so try to help them.

So let's make a group effort to summarize some of it in one place. Lost_at_sea and I collaborated on the DCF guide and tweaked it in PMs before posting. She did the writing and ran it by me for clarification on a few points since DCF is like K1s in many ways because of skipping the processing at NVC. Who is in?? Maybe we can shoot for New Year/New Guide.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

to be honest you guys have already been way more help than any of the embassy contacts so far, I only wish id found this site sooner. But to be honest everything was going smoothly until this part so i never had any reason to search. and yeah the address the initial letter gave was http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html and it was my fault for missing the readiness form part (though i still have no idea how i missed it).

idk, we're working through this at the moment, and if we come across any reasonable solution I'll post it here in hopes it may help fellow sufferers.

again thank you for your help.

Well, it is easy to miss things because they keep editing their website process to cover the changes, and the interim where some of old or new were allowed. Now it needs a good edit to cover only the new because the transition people were in September and surely must be about done. Glad we helped you. It's just that we write the same things over and over almost daily and we really need to write a very thorough description and pin it at the top like I had done before. That was close to two years ago and many forms have changed so we quit referring people to it. So we have kinda hijacked your thread to talk about it.

Thanks for confirming the website link is still in the letter of instruction.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Yup, I concur with all your comment, Nich-Nick. I can't judge other embassies cause I only dealt with this one, but you really have to be hyper aggressive in following stuff with them, or you get tossed off the carousel. I agree we cannot write up a definitive guideline or it will be kaput in short order. However, I think we can tell people general facts that probably will remain true for awhile such as:

1. Once your NOA2 exists, you need to get your State Department case # from them by phone.

2. Once you have that number, you need to follow the CEAC site religiously and watch for updates. You need to call the State Department during the NVC process and watch for it to transit to London.

3. You need to get your medical scheduled and follow whatever Book of the Month Club instructions they have for telling them you are ready for the interview, and for applying (DS-160, or whatever)

4. You need to talk to the State Dept. by phone regularly to try and see what your interview date is.

So let's make a group effort to summarize some of it in one place. Lost_at_sea and I collaborated on the DCF guide and tweaked it in PMs before posting. She did the writing and ran it by me for clarification on a few points since DCF is like K1s in many ways because of skipping the processing at NVC. Who is in?? Maybe we can shoot for New Year/New Guide.

I have a question - why aren't we using the wiki?

I've been bummed lately that I couldn't edit my guide with everything that's changed since August, and that no one reads the long threads (particularly once they get older), so I worry that people miss stuff. etc. But, if we actually utilised the wiki here, we could keep stuff fresh and there'd be a single URL to point people at.

I was planning to move my guide over there while I'm on down time over the Xmas holidays, and then perhaps also rejuvenating the FAQ for London. Could a K1 guide live there too? Am I missing some really obvious reason why the wiki doesn't get used (does it not work in the search or something?)?

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

I have been somewhat busy...two separate youthful (16 and 21) visitors (niece/nephew) from England for 8 and 13 days we kept entertained and cleaned up after. Exhausting! The niece left Monday. In between we took a road trip to New Orleans and I was also really sick for about 10 days. But mostly I am so frustrated by the inonsistencies at the embassy that I am not even motivated to try to summarize a new "guide". When you think they have settled into a pattern, the pattern changes. The payment sight changes. The DS-160 link on their sight goes to a different looking page than it first did. If you write up one of those, it will be invalid in a few weeks.

I haven't seen a copy of the latest instruction letter. They seem to link people to this http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/iv_and_k_interview_checklist.pdf which does not mention the Readiness for Interview form. Do they still want that? It is still on their web instructions, although you have to click "read more" to find it. Nobody bothers to read more of anything so that is missed. Can you get an interview without it? The OP seems to have or was the lawyer making that up? Does the latest instruction letter still direct people to http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html ??

Who wants to specialize and write up everything CEAC says and the details of what to choose to use it. I haven't even bothered to look at it lately. Are there drop down choices to be made?

Who wants to focus on the payment and courier site and how to navigate it? I know it has changed appearance from when some of the first ones used it.

Does the interview letter still refer people to IV-19? Is that appropriate to add to a guide? This one http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/IV019_fiance_appt_letter.pdf

Who is new and lost , but can scan their recent instruction letter as a contribution? Or interview letter?

Wheatley and Sharkano, you seem to have a good grasp of the process and a clear way of explaining. What parts will you write up? Do you plan to stick around and help? Many really good people come along, are smart enough to synthesize the scatter bits and pieces into the big picture, then they disappear. I just keep on when I am ready to drop out because I feel sorry for a new batch coming along and nobody is answering their questions. So Uk forum posts get answered incorrectly by someone going through Manila. I don't really intend to be a Queen Bee to this forum, I just feel sorry for people who can't read and think it through for themselves so try to help them.

Assuming all's well with various things (for example, I don't get banned or something for being outspoken) I don't have any intention to disappear. As for what parts I would take on.. well, I'd take on whatever, really. I tend to have a detailed memory for the important stuff (see my interview review for an example) if that would help with assigning tasks/sections.

I have a question - why aren't we using the wiki?

I've been bummed lately that I couldn't edit my guide with everything that's changed since August, and that no one reads the long threads (particularly once they get older), so I worry that people miss stuff. etc. But, if we actually utilised the wiki here, we could keep stuff fresh and there'd be a single URL to point people at.

I was planning to move my guide over there while I'm on down time over the Xmas holidays, and then perhaps also rejuvenating the FAQ for London. Could a K1 guide live there too? Am I missing some really obvious reason why the wiki doesn't get used (does it not work in the search or something?)?

I don't know. But I'm useless at editing Wikis. That said, given we get locked out of editing posts after a set period of time on the forums and getting threads stickied tends to be a death sentence for the thread with at least one mod (e.g. if it gets sticky status, it also gets locked) it would be better to make a wiki guide specifically for London that we can keep updated.

"What's yours is mine!"

I think people just ignore it, and many don't even know it exists.

I reckon when we get questions if we linked to the wiki (or the specific section of our guide) as well as some copy and pasting from it, it might encourage more use. Could always try.

"What's yours is mine!"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.