Technicalglitch

What is the "Police Certificate" in Packet 3 checklist?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all - I can't find the answer to this in the guides. I am looking at the Packet 3 checklist I have to sign, and it says to make sure I have "Police certificates from each country in which the applicant has resided for one year or longer". What is that? Do I have to get something from the police, and if so, what? I have no arrest record or criminal convictions, does that apply to everyone, and if so, what is it, what do I ask the cops for when I go to get it, is it just a criminal record check?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Hello all - I can't find the answer to this in the guides. I am looking at the Packet 3 checklist I have to sign, and it says to make sure I have "Police certificates from each country in which the applicant has resided for one year or longer". What is that? Do I have to get something from the police, and if so, what? I have no arrest record or criminal convictions, does that apply to everyone, and if so, what is it, what do I ask the cops for when I go to get it, is it just a criminal record check?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

This link should help http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html#police

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

no matter if you have a record or not, everyone has to get one. i, for example, had to get one from romania, where i grew up, and one from bulgaria, where i went to college.

0041ss.jpg

event.png

K1 Visa
Nov 16, 2010 - I 129f sent
May 25, 2010 - NOA 2
June 6, 2011 - NVC received our petition
June 7, 2011 - case number assigned, petition sent to US consulate in Bucharest
June 27, 2011 - interview - approved
June 30, 2011 - POE Boston
August 14, 2011 - married

AOS journey
September 30, 2011 - filled for AOS and EAD
October 4, 2011 - NOA1
October 26, 2011 - Biometrics
October 26, 2011 - Case moved to CSC
November 23, 2011 -Email from USCIS - card production
November 28, 2011 - Email from USCIS - I485 approved!!!
November 29, 2011 - Welcome letter in the mail
December 5, 2011 - Green card in the mail - date issued 11/16/2011

Lifting Conditions

September 17, 2013 - Sent application

September 20, 2013 - NOA1

October 11, 2013 - Case moved to CSC

October 18, 2013 - Biometrics

January 3, 2014 - Approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

There's usually more information on Packet 3 materials in the Vancouver and Montreal consulate pages. You don't have a timeline so I'm not sure where to direct you.

The following is from the Vancouver Packet 3:

POLICE CERTIFICATES: Please obtain police certificates from the police authorities of each country where you have
resided for 6 months or more since attaining the age of 16. A police certificate must also be obtained from the police
authorities of any place where you have been arrested for any reason, regardless of the length of residence. Residents of
Canada may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian
Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using your name and date
of birth. You should ensure that the search includes all names you have previously used, including maiden names, prior
married names, or names used before Canadian naturalization. If a namecheck by a police agency reveals a conviction
record, that agency may refer you to the RCMP for a "Certified Criminal Record Check", which lists your criminal history,
indicating the section of the Canadian Criminal Code under which you were charged, the disposition of the case, and the
penalty imposed (if any). Obtaining a Certified Criminal Records Check requires submission of fingerprints. For obtaining
police certificates from around the world, please visit http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html .
** It is NOT necessary to obtain police certificates from the United States.
Commissionaires on Howe and Dunsmuir charges $42 for a CPIC.
ROC
18-Jul-2016: I-751 mailed via USPS
21-Jul-2016: Received at California Lockbox
21-Jul-2016: I-797 Notice of Action
25-Jul-2016: Cheque cashed
DONE with AOS! Journey took 241 days from US entry to the day I received my Green Card. goofy.gif
AOS
27-Feb-2014: US Entry
28-Feb-2014: Married
28-Feb-2014: I-485, I-765, I-131 sent via UPS
03-Mar-2014: Applied for SSN
07-Mar-2014: UPS package received by USCIS
11-Mar-2014: Received SSN
11-Mar-2014: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
12-Mar-2014: Cheque cashed
20-Mar-2014: Biometrics appointment (04-Apr) letter received
21-Mar-2014: Successful early walk-in for biometrics
21-Apr-2014: EAD & AP approved (email & text)
24-Apr-2014: Email notice received re: combo card mailed to my address
28-Apr-2014: EAD/AP combo card received
17-Oct-2014: Green card approved
25-Oct-2014: Green card received

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the info, everyone. Part of why I was having trouble is that my packet #3 was lost in the mail, so they sent me to a generic pdf online that just gives a list of stuff, it gives NO explanations on what any of it is. I have figured out though that it's a criminal record check, so I can get that done. Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

You can get it done either from the commissionaires or from the RCMP. I would check through both and see which is faster/cheaper. :D

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My checklist in Packet 3 wasn't very specific on that point either. Did you end up getting a regular police check from your local attachment? Another option I had was to get my fingerprints taken to send to the RCMP to get a copy of my official record. I'm not too concerned about how much time it will take, I just don't want to get the wrong "police certificate."

Thanks for your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.