BethAnn and Omar

A word of advice make sure spouse attends interview

87 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

CNTrav there are consulates and embassies where it is mandatory that the spouse attend. The DR is one of those. In other consulates or embassies, like Montreal, Canada, for example, it's not that big of a deal. The USCIS doesn't have any say on if an IR1/CR1 or K1 or K3 get a visa or not. So whatever they say on the matter, really is moot.

There is no requirement according to US Law that requires a petitioner to attend an interview. If a consulate demands the petitioner to attend then you should immediately consult with a lawyer. All consulates and embassies answer to and must obey US law. They cannot make up their own requirements to suit their perceived needs. Now, that is not to say that some are not doing it. The following is a quote from the FAQ of a US Embassy website.

My spouse, who is a U.S. citizen, has filed the immigrant visa petition on my behalf. Is he/she required to attend the immigrant visa interview with me?
No. There is no requirement that the U.S. citizen attend the immigrant visa interview. However, it is highly recommended that the U.S. citizen petitioner attend the interview with you so that any questions or concerns that the Consular Officer might have can be properly addressed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Whatever I'm just trying to tell people that for us it made all the difference. It was not required that I be there but they asked for me and had I not been there my husband would not be coming here this week.

August 4 2012: filed i130

December 5 2012: noa1

May 8:2013: noa2

June 3 2013: case received at NVC

August 26 2013: AOS package received at NVC

Sept 19 2013: case complete

October 1 2013: interview date received from NVC

Nov 26 2013: interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The USCIS assures all petitioners and beneficiaries that attendance is NOT required or has any bearing whatsoever on how the case will be adjudicated. So, for those who may be worried that their case may be rejected because they are not able to attend the interview, do NOT worry. You will be fine; especially if you make sure you provide and prepare the beneficiary for any contingency.

This is laughable because USCIS can't assure nothing. many have been denied and its FACT that if the petitioner was there it would have been approved.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

This is laughable because USCIS can't assure nothing. many have been denied and its FACT that if the petitioner was there it would have been approved.

Okay, fair enough. I submit a challenge to you or anyone else who believes their visa has been denied because the petitioner did NOT attend the interview. Please submit a photocopy on this website and be sure to redact personal information like names, numbers and so on. Be sure that it specifically states that the denial was because the petitioner did not attend.

Edited by CNTrav

Filed: Country: Cayman Islands
Timeline

This topic honestly made me really nervous since we are about to send our last package to the NVC and my husband won't be able to accompany my son and I. This post had me freaking out but I am the one who is better with all the dates and everything lol not my husband and i got all my papers together my only question is do I need to carry the AOS to the interview as well since my father in law will be my joint sponsor??

This topic honestly made me really nervous since we are about to send our last package to the NVC and my husband won't be able to accompany my son and I. This post had me freaking out but I am the one who is better with all the dates and everything lol not my husband and i got all my papers together my only question is do I need to carry the AOS to the interview as well since my father in law will be my joint sponsor??

Don't worry, you will be fine. It can be emotionally helpful for the petitioner to attend but I can assure you that his/her attendance has no bearing on whether the case is approved. The US government fully understands that many must work or have limited funds available. I think this myth began many years ago after a denial which they insist happened because the petitioner did not attend. I have never once seen documented proof of that.

Timeline

Okay, fair enough. I submit a challenge to you or anyone else who believes their visa has been denied because the petitioner did NOT attend the interview. Please submit a photocopy on this website and be sure to redact personal information like names, numbers and so on. Be sure that it specifically states that the denial was because the petitioner did not attend.

It doesn't exist. Because CO's do not put that on any denial ever. You will always get either "no evidence to prove bonafide relationship" or "we believe this petition is for immigration purposes only".

You will never see a denial because the people are different religions, coolrs, races, nationality, socioeconomically difference, too fat, too ugly, too old. And these have been all issues for some denials.

Prove it you can't people refile, appeal or wait for reaffirm., That's the dance we play with USCIS. Denied today, approved 8 months later same evidence everything.

It doesn't matter. If people want to be there for their love one at interview than do it. You have to have someone to kiss and hug when you walk out and say Approved.goofy.gif

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

It doesn't exist. Because CO's do not put that on any denial ever. You will always get either "no evidence to prove bonafide relationship" or "we believe this petition is for immigration purposes only".

You will never see a denial because the people are different religions, coolrs, races, nationality, socioeconomically difference, too fat, too ugly, too old. And these have been all issues for some denials.

Prove it you can't people refile, appeal or wait for reaffirm., That's the dance we play with USCIS. Denied today, approved 8 months later same evidence everything.

It doesn't matter. If people want to be there for their love one at interview than do it. You have to have someone to kiss and hug when you walk out and say Approved.goofy.gif

As the OP stated it's can be helpful to be there. But, to suggest that a couple will be denied for having a lack of proof of a bonafide relationship is inaccurate. Couples are rejected every day because the evidence they submitted to the USCIS is weak at best. But, for those couples who have dated photos, passport stamps, receipts, boarding passes, proof of ongoing communication, this will NEVER be an issue.

Timeline

Don't worry, you will be fine. It can be emotionally helpful for the petitioner to attend but I can assure you that his/her attendance has no bearing on whether the case is approved. The US government fully understands that many must work or have limited funds available. I think this myth began many years ago after a denial which they insist happened because the petitioner did not attend. I have never once seen documented proof of that.

WOW you joined a week ago and you already throwing around affirmation of facts. Are you DHS or DOS. Don't assure anything as fact unless you can back that thang up.

You have no idea how many interviews could have went the other way if a petitioner had showed up. Can you? And like I said a CO will NEVER in life put on a piece of paper "denied because the petitioner wasn't there".

ROC I-751

N-400

WOW you joined a week ago and you already throwing around affirmation of facts. Are you DHS or DOS. Don't assure anything as fact unless you can back that thang up.

You have no idea how many interviews could have went the other way if a petitioner had showed up. Can you? And like I said a CO will NEVER in life put on a piece of paper "denied because the petitioner wasn't there".

This is my second time around sir. My first was in 2005. During my time watching the visa process during the past 8.5 years I have seen countless approvals and statistically few denials. Most denials occur because of weak evidence, which moves the adjudicator into doubting the relationship. Since IMBRA and the AWA however, some of the petitioners are rejected due to their criminal record.

Debbie, you can't help everybody.

BethAnn, an astute observation and advice. I was given such an advice and I was at my interview. Even though I was not called in but my Wife said the interview took an even better turn when she was asked the last time she saw her Husband and she said this morning. She offered my passports and the CO leafed through both of them page by page. About the only document that she looked at from the pile that she brought in.

New applicants, please consider current advice's and information and not one from 2005. Things do and have changed.

I can never understand folks that get involved in an international relationship and then whinge about time off and cost and stuff.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

There is no requirement according to US Law that requires a petitioner to attend an interview. If a consulate demands the petitioner to attend then you should immediately consult with a lawyer. All consulates and embassies answer to and must obey US law. They cannot make up their own requirements to suit their perceived needs. Now, that is not to say that some are not doing it. The following is a quote from the FAQ of a US Embassy website.

In one simple example of the department of state not following the law. There's a mandate that if a nation does not accept back their deportees, the embassy is to stop issuing all visas to that nation.

Well....china, Vietnam, Cuba, Bangladesh, India......just to name a few....

And I mean ALL visas.....

Edited by SteveAndTiff

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

As my wife and I are a married couple until the end and have been together since 2008, I couldn't imagine not being there with her after all we have been through to get to this point. For those who cannot afford it or take the time off I guess I could understand, but I can only say that my being there whether I could afford it or not is not any issue whatsoever and knowing this was going to come to pass I made sure that going there is a possiblility.

I want to be there, my wife wants me there and we are a couple through good and bad. So if she gets denied for some silly reason, I want the interviewer to know I am a part of my wife's life - approval or not.

My fiance (soon to be husband in just over a month) attended my interview and he was with me right from the NVC stage, came with me to my medical, and back through POE, and we were lucky to be able to do this. Even though our consulate is London and it's supposed to be "easy", I still found it a massive emotional help with my fiance being there and it helped make me feel relaxed with the interview, and the IO asked my fiance a handful of questions too.

I'd agree that although it's not always required, if it is possible, then have your fiance attend the interview. After all, for something as important as your visa, if you CAN have them there, and there is a chance it may help, then why not?

Edited by QueenOfBlades

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

I can never understand folks that get involved in an international relationship and then whinge about time off and cost and stuff.

I was not able to attend the interview in 2006 because I had no vacation time left after making several trips to visit my fiance. Of course it would be a very nice thing for the petitioner to accompany the beneficiary to the interview, but to suggest they may be denied for not attending is ludicrous. The stats don't bear that out, and it's only speculation that a denial happens for that reason. If someone has the means and the time off to attend the interview, then by all means, they should. But, it's not worth losing one's job because they were led to believe if they were not there then their partner would be denied.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.