BethAnn and Omar

A word of advice make sure spouse attends interview

87 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I can only speak of my plans. I do want to be with Alex during his interview, Since I only get 2 weeks vacation a year I will sacrifice 1 week in hopes that he has his interview in the next year. What I do worry about is when I go in August that he will miraculously have his interview scheduled after I leave. Who knows though how it will turn out I just pray for a peaceful interview and pray I am able to attend. I have even considered not visiting until he has his interview but still at any rate I don't want to miss a visit so I just go with the flow.

Mr. & Mrs. Adigun

Congrats to the OP, I'm so glad you could be there and that your presence made the difference! Completely agreed that anyone who can join the beneficiary at the interview stage should do so. I'm hoping that timing lines up so I can attend the interview with my spouse. As "easy" as London is said to be, I know it will still be a nerve wracking experience, and I'd like to be there for support. Besides, how great would it be to celebrate an approval together right away rather than via text message and Skype?

ROC Timeline

04/06/2016 - Mailed I-751

04/07/2016 - NOA1

04/13/2016 - Check cashed

04/14/2016 - NOA1 hardcopy

05/04/2016 - Received biometric notice

05/16/2016 - Biometrics appointment

05/17/2017 - Approved

05/22/2017 - Card in Production

05/25/2017 - Card Mailed

05/30/2017 - Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree with Beth if you can make it to the interview u should be their you never know if you will be needed, my fiancee had her interview and the Co ask her was I here today she said yes and he ask her did she have my passport with her she said yes and he ask for it, then he told her he was about to say how can I support her in the U S if I can't even afford to be here today to show her some support, then he told her he would invite me in,but since all the docs are correct and she answered all the questions with confidence he doesn't need me, so if something does come up at least you will be there if needed, so my advise to everyone even if you are not allowed in, and you can make it their, you should be their.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks guys I just want everyone to have success! I understand some people absolutely can't make it but if at all humanly possible I would strongly suggest it based on our experience. Also, I did want to mention that another wife of a beneficiary was also called in from outside to attend her husband's interview.

August 4 2012: filed i130

December 5 2012: noa1

May 8:2013: noa2

June 3 2013: case received at NVC

August 26 2013: AOS package received at NVC

Sept 19 2013: case complete

October 1 2013: interview date received from NVC

Nov 26 2013: interview

I'm not sure how it works for other consulates, but if your consulate does allow the petitioner to attend the interview and you have to send your forms off to the Embassy post-NOA2, it may be worth including in your cover letter that you would like the petitioner to attend the interview with you and ask if they can confirm this via. e-mail, then put your e-mail on it.

I did this with my case back in September, and they e-mailed me directly with my interview date and confirmed that my fiance's name will be added to the access list for the day. I knew my interview date at least a week before my appointment letter arrived in the post. (They forgot to add it on the access list, but I had a print out of the e-mail on the day and showed it to the Embassy staff and after faffing about for 30 minutes, they let him in because they called through and confirmed he should have been let in to attend my interview with me.)

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

It's difficult for some people to get time off work, or pay for the air fare, etc.

Yeah but being there, if allowed can make all the difference in the world.

Just wanted to let ya'll know that the CO specifically asked where I was and then called me into my husband's interview in Kingston Jamaica. My husband couldn't remember the exact date of my last trip and the CO told me that he was concerned. I told him I've been to see my husband 14 times since we met and then he asked how many times since we were married... I told him 8. He also asked me for dates of our most recent photos.

So my advice?? Go with your spouse to the interview!!! Because if any questionscome up tthere will be an opportunity to address them if you are there. They will ask where you are and will probably want to meet you. Especially for countries where there are significant cases of fraud.

I hope this helps. Not sure we would have gotten the visa if I hadn't been there.

BethAnn

I agree. I attended the interview with my wife in the Philippines. Had I not been there I highly doubt that the CO would have approved the VISA. I am 57 and my wife at the time of the interview was 19. The CO asked me more questions than she did my wife. The CO said to me: "So your oldest son is 32? And your new wife is 19?" I replied in the affirmative and she said, "Congratulations madam, your VISA is approved." Sweet words for sure. Had I not been there I am almost certain my wife would have been put in AP but she was not.

Mele Kalikimaka

Hiw about philippines?

Doesn't make a hill of difference --- you are either trying to scam the system or you are not. If the beneficiary is organized she will be out of there in 20 minutes .

They talked more abiout their experiences working in call centers more than the interview. It's nice that people think that it has something to do with it ... like what you wear to the embassy. It really doesn't.

Edited by SoCalMark

journey.jpg

Doesn't make a hill of difference --- you are either trying to scam the system or you are not. If the beneficiary is organized she will be out of there in 20 minutes .

They talked more abiout their experiences working in call centers more than the interview. It's nice that people think that it has something to do with it ... like what you wear to the embassy. It really doesn't.

Wow, I'd be willing to bet ten thousand pesos that no one has ever been out of the embassy in 20 minutes with an approval in hand. That's just not true. And I disagree, having the spouse/fiance there can show a suspicious CO that perhaps this is a bonafide marriage/relationship.

But of course you are entitled to your opinion on that. But as far as the 20 minute statement goes you should not make others think this is possible because I just don't believe it is.

Mele Kalikimaka

Edited by David & Zoila

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sorry I tried to reply with the quote!! It absolutely made a difference for us between Denial and lengthly AP and a nice, quick approval and issuance. To say that the Petitioners presence does not make a difference in certain countries or situations is just misleading. The CO clearly had concerns abougt my husband's responses and having me there to alleviate these concerns made all the difference for us.

Edited by Ryan H

August 4 2012: filed i130

December 5 2012: noa1

May 8:2013: noa2

June 3 2013: case received at NVC

August 26 2013: AOS package received at NVC

Sept 19 2013: case complete

October 1 2013: interview date received from NVC

Nov 26 2013: interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It is true that many approvals are granted without the other person there. However, the OP is also correct: it MIGHT make all the difference. If someone is going through all the nonsense these visa's require, he/she should think about going that "extra mile" at the very end to be there. We had an "easy" embassy. My fiancee speaks better English than probably 90% of the beneficiaries on this site. Nonetheless, she was asked a question that the consular office meant to mean "X," but my fiancee thought -- due to the ambiguity in the question -- it meant "Y," and thus they started down a problematic road that could have led to a denial. I stepped in to clarify what he meant, he said "X," and she then understood and dealt with the actual question. If I had not been there who knows what might have happened? Similarly, they never called our number. Instead, it just suddenly showed up on a board, with a lot of other numbers, at Window 13. I told her there it is let's go -- she tells me we are not called yet. I told her nope, we are going up there -- and lo and behold they were waiting for us. What if I had been there and she never went up, due to her background in strictly following governmental directions? These are the kinds of goofy things that can happen, and why two heads ARE generally better than one.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry I tried to reply with the quote!!

***Posts merged***

**Moderator hat off**

I flew out when my wife had her interview even though I knew that I would not be allowed inside the interview area. The CO did ask her if I was on the premises. While I don't believe my presence was the difference between a denial or an approval, I do believe it made a strong case stronger.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I understand being able to attend together makes for a strong case....but in a way it shouldn't matter. Some embassies (like Mumbai where me & my husband are) simply do not allow it. And it is absolutely unfair that we do not get that chance to present our case together as a unit like others do, yet are still judged in the same way. They need to make the rules uniform across the board in order for this to be a fair process.

And yes, I've read the sample questions and the embassy interview reviews...I agree that some of the questions contain a lot of ambiguity...which I think is purposeful and sneaky...and so I practice with my husband. I quiz him on ambiguous questions and explain to him the double meaning if he misses it and we formulate a good response together. That way, at the time of the interview if a question like that arises, he will already have an idea of how to answers. I told him not to be afraid to CLARIFY the question...ask the stupid officer what they mean by their ambiguous question.

I wish I could go with him, but instead I will just work with him to prepare him so that at least maybe I will be the voice in his head during the interview.

event.png
04/11/13 - NOA1 for I-130
12/10/13 - NOA2 for I-130
12/20/13 - Case Received by NVC
01/17/14 - Case # & invoice # assigned (called twice per week)
01/23/14 - DS-261 available & submitted
01/24/14 - AOS payment invoiced
01/28/14 - Paid AOS fee, status "in process"
01/30/14 - AOS Fee status "PAID"
01/31/14 - IV fee invoiced & paid, status "in process"
02/03/14 - AOS Package mailed via USPS w/tracking
02/04/14 - IV Fee status "PAID", DS-260 available.
02/05/14 - DS-260 submitted, IV Package mailed via DHL w/tracking
02/06/14 - USPS tracking confirms AOS package arrived @NVC
02/07/14 - DHL tracking confirms IV package arrived @NVC
02/07/14 - AOS package entered into system
02/10/14 - IV package entered into system
03/04/14 - Checklist received for joint sponsor's I-864 (requesting 2013 tax transcripts)
03/06/14 - Mailed Response to AOS checklist
03/06/14 - Received IV Package FALSE checklist
03/10/14 - USPS tracking confirms AOS checklist response arrived @NVC
03/13/14 - AOS checklist response entered into system
03/28/14 - CASE COMPLETE with checklist for corrected joint sponsor I-864 to be carried to interview.
04/02/14 - Interview Date assigned, May 13, Mumbai!
04/13/14 - Interview complete...221g given requesting I-864a from co-sponsor's spouse
04/16/14 - FedExed I-864a and evidences to Mumbai.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I understand being able to attend together makes for a strong case....but in a way it shouldn't matter. Some embassies (like Mumbai where me & my husband are) simply do not allow it. And it is absolutely unfair that we do not get that chance to present our case together as a unit like others do, yet are still judged in the same way. They need to make the rules uniform across the board in order for this to be a fair process.

And yes, I've read the sample questions and the embassy interview reviews...I agree that some of the questions contain a lot of ambiguity...which I think is purposeful and sneaky...and so I practice with my husband. I quiz him on ambiguous questions and explain to him the double meaning if he misses it and we formulate a good response together. That way, at the time of the interview if a question like that arises, he will already have an idea of how to answers. I told him not to be afraid to CLARIFY the question...ask the stupid officer what they mean by their ambiguous question.

I wish I could go with him, but instead I will just work with him to prepare him so that at least maybe I will be the voice in his head during the interview.

Good points. Each embassy also differs because the CO's understand the different culture and customs in each country so it's hard to compare apples with apples

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.