MHandMB

Dental Insurance

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I'm looking into dental insurance coverage. My main concern is if my husband or I have some type of dental emergency. I don't want to have to spend thousands of dollars out of pocket for a dentist. However, I've been looking into some different policies, and I was really surprised at what I found out.

One policy was $68 a month, with a yearly max payout of $1000! I'm looking for a plan that will reduce the rate of any major procedure. One of my co-workers just broke a crown and is having to pay $850 out of pocket to get it replaced. I have another co-worker whose son is getting some serious dental work done, and it's costing her $12,000 out of pocket.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My health insurance company offers dental, but the max payout is $750, which I think is ridiculous.

Thanks in advance!

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

I am paying about $70 a month for coverage that is far below what I had when I first started in the business. I am not sure what to recommend other than maybe starting a dental fund for situations where the insurance won't cover the procedure. My insurance will due up to $1500 per year per family member and then you are on your own. If you get a bridge or something like that, like I had to, you are then paying for your cleanings. You might try to call Delta Dental to see what they offer but I would bet that good coverage will be prohibitive in price.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My experience with dental coverage matches pretty much what you've found out - monthly premiums are on the high side, they generally only pay about 50% of any major procedure and total limits are low. I kept my dental coverage through my employer ($45/month for Delta Preferred), got some necessary work done, had a complete check-up and xrays and then dropped the coverage. Generally I believe in being insured for emergencies and I am NOT in favor of anyone going without health insurance or homeowner's insurance. But I have to say that in the case of dental, I don't think it's worth it unless you are really expecting to have a need for major work. Otherwise, hopefully, those kinds of things are few and far between and to me it isn't worth it to cover the cost of cleanings and exams twice a year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
My experience with dental coverage matches pretty much what you've found out - monthly premiums are on the high side, they generally only pay about 50% of any major procedure and total limits are low. I kept my dental coverage through my employer ($45/month for Delta Preferred), got some necessary work done, had a complete check-up and xrays and then dropped the coverage. Generally I believe in being insured for emergencies and I am NOT in favor of anyone going without health insurance or homeowner's insurance. But I have to say that in the case of dental, I don't think it's worth it unless you are really expecting to have a need for major work. Otherwise, hopefully, those kinds of things are few and far between and to me it isn't worth it to cover the cost of cleanings and exams twice a year.

I agree!! Take the 50 dollars a moth or whatever and put it in the bank in seerate account. You will find you are way ahead ofthe gamer in a coupleof years

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Dental insurance can be "tricky". Hubby has Delta Dental through his employer (and I believe Delta Dental doesn't cater to individuals), pays about $15 a month for family coverage, we get $1000 max per year per person. It covers 80-100% for basic treatments (teeth cleaning, fillings, root canals, etc) providing we use in-network dentists and only 50% for major thing such as crown. It's quite a good deal I think, considering my teeth are bad :P

Starting this month I get coverage through my employer who doesn't charge me anything but only give $1000 per year for the whole family.

If it costs you $50 a month, then I agree that it isn't worth it if you only need routine procedures. It might worth it for major things.

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !