garya505

Do you and your fiance(e) have a large age difference?

435 posts in this topic

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

My husband is 16 years older than me (33/49). Right now, no problem at all. Never got any negative comments from anybody, but our age difference doesn't show all that much anyway, he looks much younger.

For me personally this is about as much age difference as we both can handle. I know my husband sometimes ponders whether we will be able to "grow old together" at all, and I tend to be overprotective about his health every once in a while. :devil:

Even though I can certainly understand that people fall in love with somebody significantly older/younger, for me this age gap is pushing it. We share lots of common interests and activities, and I think that is what makes a relationship work, age difference or not. Two people living two separate lifes under one roof are not on the road to success, even if they are the same age... Just my opinion, of course!

Good luck to everybody else with large age differences here, may we all be lucky and share long and happy lifes with our loved ones!

Carla

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

One entry found for bigot.

Main Entry: big·ot

Pronunciation: 'bi-g&t

Function: noun

Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot

: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I will be the first to admit I am bigoted concerning same sex anything; I do not believe that humans are "wired" to have sex with someone of the same gender. I use all kinds of arguments and rationalizations to explain this "unnatural" behavior. All, if not most are wrong but that doesn't stop me forming my bigoted opinion.

This is my opinion, my bigoted opinion, get it?

There are many in this thread that are bigots, and or hold bigoted opinions. They use rationalizations to describe scenarios that attempt to explain away the relationship; the relationship that in their narrow point of view cannot exist or stand alone on its own merits, and therefore there must be a rational reason for its existance.........

They mostly characterize these relationships negatively and deny the legitimacy of the relationship, e.g. the "she's must be in it for the money argument", or other bigoted views.

They like to say that it's simply their point of view, but nonetheless it's a bigoted point of view regardless of how they try to paint it.

Some here say that humans aren't wired to screw grandpa.....well, ladies and gentlemen, humans are "wired" to do all of the following regardless of how foreign and unnatural we intuitivley want to beleive these acts are:

Humans have been known to have sex with animals

Humans have been known to have sex with children

Humans have been known to have sex with those of the same gender

Humans are known to have sex with themselves (masturbation)

So look back through this thread and see if you can't spot the bigots.....It's laughable for they do not know they're bigots! :whistle:

Edited by kaydee457
miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
what's NAMBLA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambla

The North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) is a New York City and San Francisco-based unincorporated organization that opposes the use of age as the sole criterion for deciding whether minors can legally engage in sexual relations.

imo, a bunch of pedophiles trying to legalize their deviant behavior.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I will be the first to admit I am bigoted concerning same sex anything; I do not believe that humans are "wired" to have sex with someone of the same gender. I use all kinds of arguments and rationalizations to explain this "unnatural" behavior. All, if not most are wrong but that doesn't stop me forming my bigoted opinion.

There are many in this thread that are bigots, and or hold bigoted opinions. They use rationalizations to describe scenarios that attempt to explain away the relationship; the relationship that in their narrow point of view cannot exist or stand alone on its own merits, and therefore there must be a rational reason for its existance.........

They mostly characterize these relationships negatively and deny the legitimacy of the relationship, e.g. the "she's must be in it for the money argument", or other bigoted views.

They like to say that it's simply their point of view, but nonetheless it's a bigoted point of view regardless of how they try to paint it.

Some here say that humans aren't wired to screw grandpa.....well, ladies and gentlemen, humans are "wired" to do all of the following regardless of how foreign and unnatural we intuitivley want to beleive these acts are:

So look back through this thread and see if you can't spot the bigots.....It's laughable for they do not know they're bigots! :whistle:

I'd still like to know why you chose to single me out. See my above post please and tell me where I've expressed bigoted opinions in this thread.

Filed: Timeline
what's NAMBLA?

The North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) is a New York City and San Francisco-based unincorporated organization that opposes the use of age as the sole criterion for deciding whether minors can legally engage in sexual relations.

omG so it's not a South Park joke? it's for real? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Isn't calling someone a bigot because they differ in opinions a lil bigoted in and of itself?

No.

NAMBLA is a real organization that believes that children want to have sex with adults. It is not a South Park invention.

The issue of growing old and who will get sick first is a ####### shoot just like anything else. In an age difference relationship, the younger person could be hurt, contract a chronic, debilitating illness or die before the older one. Stuff happens. Older people are living longer, looking younger, and remaining healthier now than at any other time. I've been a body builder all of my life (it's a common hobby in my family. Thank you, Jack Lalane!). We are not all our grandparents generation, although my grandparents gave me great genes. My grandmother turned 100 this year and my grandfather died of old age at 101. The youngest person in my family who died of natural causes was 86.

My first husband and I were both 18 when we married. He died of cancer six years ago. Our dreams of growing old together stopped there. My attitude is that there are no guarantees in this life as to whom will outlast whom, so why worry about that? Some young people I know are old from stress and worry. Who needs that? Enjoy and spread joy! As Jonathan Swift said, May you live all the days of your life. Thank God, there are those of us who believe that way!

I'd still like to know why you chose to single me out. See my above post please and tell me where I've expressed bigoted opinions in this thread.

Perhaps a previous post on the same topic? Seem to remember your complaining to the Cap'n.....Was that not you?

miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Isn't calling someone a bigot because they differ in opinions a lil bigoted in and of itself?

No.

NAMBLA is a real organization that believes that children want to have sex with adults. It is not a South Park invention.

The issue of growing old and who will get sick first is a ####### shoot just like anything else. In an age difference relationship, the younger person could be hurt, contract a chronic, debilitating illness or die before the older one. Stuff happens. Older people are living longer, looking younger, and remaining healthier now than at any other time. I've been a body builder all of my life (it's a common hobby in my family. Thank you, Jack Lalane!). We are not all our grandparents generation, although my grandparents gave me great genes. My grandmother turned 100 this year and my grandfather died of old age at 101. The youngest person in my family who died of natural causes was 86.

My first husband and I were both 18 when we married. He died of cancer six years ago. Our dreams of growing old together stopped there. My attitude is that there are no guarantees in this life as to whom will outlast whom, so why worry about that? Some young people I know are old from stress and worry. Who needs that? Enjoy and spread joy! As Jonathan Swift said, May you live all the days of your life. Thank God, there are those of us who believe that way!

But that had nowt to do with my question. Sitting here calling someone a bigot is kinda bigoted too. So people have opinions...for whatever reason, they have them. That's their right, no matter why they have them. Dismissing them as bigots because they disagree is pretty much superfluous. I think this is obviously a touchy subject because many ppl seem to be put on the defensive, and it's unneccessary imo. I was saying this elsewhere the other day on here...but if you're happy and your partner is happy, who gives a rat's azz as to what anyone else thinks? There will ALWAYS be people who don't understand a certain aspect of your relationship...and I mean 'your' in a general sense referring to 'anybody'. There are people who I know that don't understand how or why I could do this LDR, but yanno what? My happiness doesn't hang on their approval or understanding, so it's besides the point.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Perhaps a previous post on the same topic? Seem to remember your complaining to the Cap'n.....Was that not you?

I don't know what you're talking about. Please don't throw my name around when it's unwarranted simply because you have me pegged as a "looney lefty". Thanks.

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
what's NAMBLA?

I actually agree that age should not be used as the sole criterion

for deciding whether minors can legally engage in sexual relations.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

No.

But that had nowt to do with my question. Sitting here calling someone a bigot is kinda bigoted too. So people have opinions...for whatever reason, they have them. That's their right, no matter why they have them. Dismissing them as bigots because they disagree is pretty much superfluous. I think this is obviously a touchy subject because many ppl seem to be put on the defensive, and it's unneccessary imo. I was saying this elsewhere the other day on here...but if you're happy and your partner is happy, who gives a rat's azz as to what anyone else thinks? There will ALWAYS be people who don't understand a certain aspect of your relationship...and I mean 'your' in a general sense referring to 'anybody'. There are people who I know that don't understand how or why I could do this LDR, but yanno what? My happiness doesn't hang on their approval or understanding, so it's besides the point.

The only part of my response that addressed your question was the NO.

If you believe in right and wrong and you call the wrong wrong, how does that make you a bigot? Part of the problem with moral relativism and political correctness, and these are what you are appealing to, is that, following that reasoning, nothing is wrong, nothing is right. Thinking that way makes you a politician. As I said before, all views cannot be equal or legitimate. Making judgments between them should not involve bigotry, only clarity.

People have every right to express their opinions, but that doesn't make all their views rational. Opinions are like azzholes; everyone has them and alot of them stink. The ability to have an opinion doesnt always make you right, nor does it always make you a bigot, but sometimes it does. When it does, it's ok for someone to say so.

Edited by szsz