blamu2

Reschedule I-485 Interview to a new location different state.

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My interview is January 2nd. I moved to a different state already about 900 miles away so currently it is only possible to arrive by plane and losing a days pay. It is doable but I'd like to avoid it. USCIS lady on the phone said I should follow instructions on the letter regarding rescheduling but I checked and I don't think there is any instructions regarding that. I changed my address online but I didn't see any notification that they even acknowledged my move. So how do I go about rescheduling my interview and to a different location at the same time. Do I just write a letter to the office where I'm currently scheduled for? Or is there a different address just for those kind of inquiries? Or is it already too late to do it because Jan 2 is too soon?

If I do write them a letter how will I know they agreed to reschedule? If I wont hear from them it sounds like I'm gonna have to fly anyway, I can't risk not showing up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Write to the USCIS office where the interview is scheduled and state that you need to be rescheduled at a different office in a different state and the reason why. Call the USCIS and ask to speak to a tier 2 immigration officer about your case. Ask them about the address change and if your new current address is in their system. Let them know your situation with the interview schedule as well. Make an Infopass appointment at the USCIS office that is now nearest to you. Let them know your situation as well to see about getting confirmation that you will have your interview rescheduled to be held at that office instead.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Hi there

I did this a few months back - got interview appointment then moved out of state and was unable to attend.

Call USCIS and register the address change with them first of all. Then fill out the change of address form and mail it into USCIS.

Your case will then be transferred to your new local office and you will join the back of the queue there for an interview. And when I say back of the queue I mean absolute back of the queue! Moving during AOS slows things down massively - I would have had my interview and GC by now had we stayed put! Alas life isn't like that and sometimes you have to move.

Good luck with it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.