SarahBear

POE Questions

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

My husband finally has his IR-1 visa in hand and we are ready to move to the US. We have a few questions related to POE:

1. Do you have to enter and stay in the US for a while after "landing" as an immigrant or can you go back to Canada after processing? I ask because we have a 2 year old who doesn't know the meaning of "waiting" and a newborn and it would be better to leave them with Grandma and Grandpa in Canada while we wait for processing at the POE, then go back to Canada and get them afterwards instead of waiting with them. Is it possible for us to do this?

2. If my husband and I can go to the POE for processing and return to Canada afterwards, can we drive across the next day with our uhaul and list of accompanying items we're moving and be able to enter with our things?

3. My 2 year old already officially has his US citizenship. I have an appointment at the US consulate this week to get my newborn a certificate of birth abroad. I know we won't have it in hand by the time we're ready to move to the US as it takes a few weeks to process. Is this going to be a problem - moving to the US when my newborn's US citizenship has not yet officially been approved? Would they potentially say she couldn't come with us?? I will be sure to take all the paperwork and the receipt I get from the consulate with us to the border to prove we applied for US citizenship for her, but I just want to make sure this isn't going to sink us before we move.

Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

My husband finally has his IR-1 visa in hand and we are ready to move to the US. We have a few questions related to POE:

1. Do you have to enter and stay in the US for a while after "landing" as an immigrant or can you go back to Canada after processing? I ask because we have a 2 year old who doesn't know the meaning of "waiting" and a newborn and it would be better to leave them with Grandma and Grandpa in Canada while we wait for processing at the POE, then go back to Canada and get them afterwards instead of waiting with them. Is it possible for us to do this?

2. If my husband and I can go to the POE for processing and return to Canada afterwards, can we drive across the next day with our uhaul and list of accompanying items we're moving and be able to enter with our things?

3. My 2 year old already officially has his US citizenship. I have an appointment at the US consulate this week to get my newborn a certificate of birth abroad. I know we won't have it in hand by the time we're ready to move to the US as it takes a few weeks to process. Is this going to be a problem - moving to the US when my newborn's US citizenship has not yet officially been approved? Would they potentially say she couldn't come with us?? I will be sure to take all the paperwork and the receipt I get from the consulate with us to the border to prove we applied for US citizenship for her, but I just want to make sure this isn't going to sink us before we move.

Thanks in advance!

1. No, the stamped/endorsed I-551 (The I-551 is what the Mtl consulate put into the Cdn passport) acts as ones Greencard---so you can travel right away, which is 1 of the many benefits of the CR-1/IR-1

2) Yeppers!!! 1 has up to TEN years to move it down!! 1 day after, 3 days after up to 10 yrs

3. Don't have kids, never really pay attention to kid threads, sorry,lol But im sure if you do a search on VJ--top right hand corner, you will find answers. VJ Canada forum tends to be quiet on the weekends

Ensure you have some kind of inventory list with you when you do bring the stuff down. Does NOT have to be anything fancy and a very good chance they won't even look at it, but best to be prepared. Cheers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.