natalied

K-1 Fiance Visa Denial After Interview

94 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Then, coming back again to how it is legal in some countries, you wouldn't be committing a felony. You did something that was perfectly legal in your community, in your culture. How is that a crime of moral turpitude? Or are you expected to follow the rules of the game for every country, because you never know which one you might intend to immigrate to, later down the road?

I mean, it's not like any of us has this dream, as a kid, to one day find an American fiance, right? Things just happen the way they happen.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yeh good point , I cross roads in England not at the crossing but it's legal here and in America it's jaywalking

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

Then, coming back again to how it is legal in some countries, you wouldn't be committing a felony. You did something that was perfectly legal in your community, in your culture. How is that a crime of moral turpitude? Or are you expected to follow the rules of the game for every country, because you never know which one you might intend to immigrate to, later down the road?

I mean, it's not like any of us has this dream, as a kid, to one day find an American fiance, right? Things just happen the way they happen.

You are missing the point. It is not the country of origin that is allowing you to leave in as much as it is the United States Government (Federal) that is deciding whether or not you are allowed to enter this great country. Marijuana use is illegal in the USA as per Federal law is concerned and the Federal Government is deciding whether you can come here or not. End of story.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Right.. But you pointed out that someone in their own country should... Throughout their life... Not do something that is considered illegal in another country in the off chance you want to immigrate to that country in the future? I think that is their point... So the punishment of a ban for ever, in your entire lifetime EVER tried something (which might happen to be legal when you tried it in your country) would be a ban? Now abuse of any such things I think is a fair question... But having a ban for trying something, even if it had been 10-20 years ago, even if it was legal where you participated I think is a bit outrageous. I understand you have to follow the USA laws, however, reading into the future to anticipate that you will meet someone from a country where something that is legal,in your country but illegal in that country so you better not do it... Well that is an ability that nobody has...

Now with regards to the OP, we obviously do not have that issue since there was recent contact and a positive test..

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

Christeen, my point exactly.

I'm not missing the point here, and it is a moot point by now for the OP as he tested positive. What I am saying is, creating a hypothetical scenario that probably has happened in real life, a person that smoked marijuana when they were a rebellious teenager, knowing that it was legal in their country, kind of like when a teenager drinks or smokes cigarettes or goes out to party - they're having a good time with friends and want to try something to feel more grown up. They aren't breaking any laws, They're not doing anything illegal. Sure, stupid maybe, reckless, but not illegal. Fast forward many many years down the road, they fall in love with an American citizen and get banned from entering the US because they happened to do something, way back when, that is illegal in the US. It just makes no sense to me.

We're not talking about someone who last smoked three weeks ago, or two months ago, or some such. I'm talking about years and years ago, something done when they were much younger, when their plans for the future didn't involve coming into the US. When they did something that wasn't even illegal, when it's been several years since they did it, why should they be barred from entering the US?

I don't disagree with the law, I don't think that marijuana smokers should be free to enter, I don't think the urine tests should stop. I do think that there should be some limit, like ten years for example, before which what you did shouldn't come back to bite you in the rear end (assuming all else is clear, obviously).

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

The N-400 journey:

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

JOrOp1.png

Right.. But you pointed out that someone in their own country should... Throughout their life... Not do something that is considered illegal in another country in the off chance you want to immigrate to that country in the future? I think that is their point... So the punishment of a ban for ever, in your entire lifetime EVER tried something (which might happen to be legal when you tried it in your country) would be a ban? Now abuse of any such things I think is a fair question... But having a ban for trying something, even if it had been 10-20 years ago, even if it was legal where you participated I think is a bit outrageous. I understand you have to follow the USA laws, however, reading into the future to anticipate that you will meet someone from a country where something that is legal,in your country but illegal in that country so you better not do it... Well that is an ability that nobody has...

Now with regards to the OP, we obviously do not have that issue since there was recent contact and a positive test..

But what one decides to do throughout their life is not based upon the possibility that they may move to another country, is it? What one does in their life is determined by their character, morals, etc...yes? And if someone admits illegal drug use how in the world does the US Government know that they really tried it once "when I was young and stupid" or they quit smoking weed 90 days ago so they would test clean?

I'm not missing the point here, and it is a moot point by now for the OP as he tested positive. What I am saying is, creating a hypothetical scenario that probably has happened in real life, a person that smoked marijuana when they were a rebellious teenager, knowing that it was legal in their country, kind of like when a teenager drinks or smokes cigarettes or goes out to party - they're having a good time with friends and want to try something to feel more grown up. They aren't breaking any laws, They're not doing anything illegal. Sure, stupid maybe, reckless, but not illegal. Fast forward many many years down the road, they fall in love with an American citizen and get banned from entering the US because they happened to do something, way back when, that is illegal in the US. It just makes no sense to me.

We're not talking about someone who last smoked three weeks ago, or two months ago, or some such. I'm talking about years and years ago, something done when they were much younger, when their plans for the future didn't involve coming into the US. When they did something that wasn't even illegal, when it's been several years since they did it, why should they be barred from entering the US?

I don't disagree with the law, I don't think that marijuana smokers should be free to enter, I don't think the urine tests should stop. I do think that there should be some limit, like ten years for example, before which what you did shouldn't come back to bite you in the rear end (assuming all else is clear, obviously).

Show me the law and the country that allows "rebellious teens" to partake of marijuana. If in fact marijuana is legal in their country what makes them rebellious? Yes it's moot for the OP but there could be others following this thread that need some information. Is that not why we are here having a rational discussion hopefully helping others at the same time? You can rationalize all you want but marijuana use is illegal in the USA...that's all that applies here. End of story.

Have a great day and Aloha from Maui

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is not logical, it it is not rational, it is what it is.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Oh I just read something else in your post here. kind of like when a teenager drinks or smokes cigarettes or goes out to party - they're having a good time with friends and want to try something to feel more grown up. They aren't breaking any laws, They're not doing anything illegal. Sure they are doing something illegal here in the USA if they are out drinking or smoking cigarettes when they are teenagers. Federal law says you must be 21 to consume alcohol in the United States... How is a teen drinking alcohol not illegal here? And smoking cigarettes in most states is illegal under 18 so I guess the cigarette thing flies but the consumption of alcohol does not. Sorry...

I would agree, there are many things along this immigration path that don't make sence but we must follow them, regardless of our personal feeling.

Timeline

So is drinking under the age of 21 ... I dont think youmshoukd mix the decision tomuse marajuana with a question if morality, they are not equalivient... And as far as legality... There are MANY countries where marajuana is perfectly legal (and soon will be for all states in the USA)

I believe there Should be a statuette of limitations for what is included in the ban... Saying "have you EVER" tried marajuana to a 40-50 year old... Well that covers a LOT of time and what you did 20-30 years ago should not label you for life, especiallymifmwhat you were doing was not even illegal where you did it!

I-130

Citizenship Process;

But what one decides to do throughout their life is not based upon the possibility that they may move to another country, is it? What one does in their life is determined by their character, morals, etc...yes? And if someone admits illegal drug use how in the world does the US Government know that they really tried it once "when I was young and stupid" or they quit smoking weed 90 days ago so they would test clean?

Your preaching about the "morality" of pot use getting old. In many places, pot use is not "immoral" or anything bad.

In many places in the US now, pot use is not immoral or bad, and is perfectly legal. Perhaps in the near future it will be federally legal. Just a few months ago same-sex people could not do immigration for their spouses, yet now they can. See how that works? The law is not always on the side of morality.

What would you have said during Prohibition? That alcohol was immoral, and that anyone who had had a drink before Prohibition was a person of bad character?

People who commit petty crimes are allowed to get visas, but people who smoked pot 10 years ago cannot? Which is the worse offense? I would go the the former, any day.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

So is drinking under the age of 21 ... I dont think youmshoukd mix the decision tomuse marajuana with a question if morality, they are not equalivient... And as far as legality... There are MANY countries where marajuana is perfectly legal (and soon will be for all states in the USA)

I believe there Should be a statuette of limitations for what is included in the ban... Saying "have you EVER" tried marajuana to a 40-50 year old... Well that covers a LOT of time and what you did 20-30 years ago should not label you for life, especiallymifmwhat you were doing was not even illegal where you did it!

What you "believe" and what is "legal" in "other countries" makes no difference. It does not apply. And if I were a gambling man I would bet that the Federal Government does not make marijuana use legal in our lifetimes. But that's just me.

God Bless

Aloha Ke Akua

Your preaching about the "morality" of pot use getting old. In many places, pot use is not "immoral" or anything bad.

In many places in the US now, pot use is not immoral or bad, and is perfectly legal. Perhaps in the near future it will be federally legal. Just a few months ago same-sex people could not do immigration for their spouses, yet now they can. See how that works? The law is not always on the side of morality.

What would you have said during Prohibition? That alcohol was immoral, and that anyone who had had a drink before Prohibition was a person of bad character?

People who commit petty crimes are allowed to get visas, but people who smoked pot 10 years ago cannot? Which is the worse offense? I would go the the former, any day.

Marijuana use and possession is illegal in the United States Of America. I am not preaching. I am merely stating a fact. I am done here because there are some that want the laws of other lands to apply here.

Timeline

For sure.

Oh I just read something else in your post here. kind of like when a teenager drinks or smokes cigarettes or goes out to party - they're having a good time with friends and want to try something to feel more grown up. They aren't breaking any laws, They're not doing anything illegal. Sure they are doing something illegal here in the USA if they are out drinking or smoking cigarettes when they are teenagers. Federal law says you must be 21 to consume alcohol in the United States... How is a teen drinking alcohol not illegal here? And smoking cigarettes in most states is illegal under 18 so I guess the cigarette thing flies but the consumption of alcohol does not. Sorry...

I wasn't talking about a teenager in this day and age, I was talking about fully grown adults who did this, years and years ago, when they were teens. And again, talking from experience from my growing up years, I had plenty of friends all throughout high school who smoked cigarettes and drank, It was totally and completely legal, back then. It's not legal any more. But I'm talking about the choices we made back then having an effect on decisions we make now. I drank alcohol as a teenager, a few times. It wasn't regular consumption, but I did it. What if the law now said that I should disclose at a medical whether or not I had drank as a teenager because Federal Law prohibits its consumption before the age of 21? Should I be banned from the US because I had some champagne at family events before I was 21?

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

The N-400 journey:

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

JOrOp1.png

Timeline

What you "believe" and what is "legal" in "other countries" makes no difference. It does not apply. And if I were a gambling man I would bet that the Federal Government does not make marijuana use legal in our lifetimes. But that's just me.

God Bless

Aloha Ke Akua

Marijuana use and possession is illegal in the United States Of America. I am not preaching. I am merely stating a fact. I am done here because there are some that want the laws of other lands to apply here.

I perfectly understand that it is illegal here... You stated that people should "think" before they participate in an illegal activity as this will effect them in the future should they apply for residence in the USA. I am merely pointing out that many people come from places where pot is legal so for them, they are not taking part in anything illegal.

Now I will take you up on that bet about legalization here in the USA (or at least it will be removed from the class A felony drugs) ... Colorado and Oregon are already the test states for how it will work. Eventually, the court system will have to hear a challenge from a Colorado resident who is charged with possession or a pot sales company fined and the whole state vs federal will,have to be addressed, where it will be removed from the feline drug list... Then this change will affect the immigration admissibility of former smokers... Just what I found from my interpretation of the recent state actions.

I-130

Citizenship Process;

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.