micahmoos

refusal notice . I'm not happy

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have been a member less than a year...and I guess I am shocked as to the amount of empathy this site and comments often lead to. This process is so overwhelming. so she made a mistake, or misunderstood, the decision is unfortunate, especially waiting and doing all the paper work. This process is hard enough, hard to be apart from the one you love, so why beat a person when they are down?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sometimes they use them as both but really co-sponsor can be anybody family, friend, etc you dont include their income with your its base on their income alone. Joint sponsor can be like you said before their income is included with yours. Your co-sponsor can be a household member too just as long they are not claim on your taxes. I could be wrong on that statement too. But someone that is not in your household they have to claim your fiance plus the people they claim on their taxes.

example your co-sponsor has a child that they claim then it would be a family of 3

co-sponsor +child+your fiance =3

You will not be included in that because you is the primary sponsor

Keep it Real

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So what is the difference between a co sponsor and a joint sponsor. Because joint mean together? I don't get it. I'm going off the 864 requirements

You still need to follow the guidelines for I-134, do not look at anything for 864, it will be rejected, and your visa will be denied, as it is the wrong form.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You still need to follow the guidelines for I-134, do not look at anything for 864, it will be rejected, and your visa will be denied, as it is the wrong form.

What i'm saying is that they base their decision off the 864. I sent in the i134 and thats what i'm using

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

You can use the 125% guidelines, which is what is used for the I-864, while sending in the I-134.

The difference between a co-sponsor and a joint sponsor relates to the combination of income or not. You can't have joint sponsors, combined incomes, for 1-134 so all you're looking at is the co-sponsor (separate incomes). Like it's been said, they have to exceed the poverty guideline for their own household plus one (your fiance).

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

They base income from 864P.

Your co-sponsor needs to complete I-134, copy of birth certificate, tax transcript for 2012, checkstubs, letter from employer.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Timeline

What an amazing array of experts! If the CO asked for something, you are far better off complying with their request instead of trying to figure out how it is you know more than they do about the requirements for certain classifications of visas. There are regulations that must be followed...a CO is not going to jeopardize his/her career by shortcutting the requirements. There is no profit for that CO for doing such a thing....income tax forms are the strongest evidence of income...letters from employers can be written in an instant. The COs are not there to do bookkeeping on your behalf and try to add up pay stubs, subtract taxes and deductions, etc. BTW, any refusal, even under 221g, is reviewed by a senior CO, and since that individual did not override his or her subordinate's decision, what does that suggest? (I know...we will hear from even more 'experts' on visa laws in a moment)...I would just do as they asked....it's much simpler.

The OP came here because its a DIY forum..no one here profess to be exp. immigration attys

however OP was getting responses from most ppl of her Embassy who had gone thru it, going thru or may

have had a family member they knew that went thru the process. In Kingston they will take the previous

year, or she will need a co-sponsor.

Now being a novice myself I would say scan & email with an explanation to the embassy, she may get lucky to be

called back (fiancé)

look for a co-sponsor....these days its hard to get ppl signing to be partially responsible for just a friend financially

Finally she can go get married to the fiancé which I guess would add more time & money to the process.

There's just no reason for a person/s to be berated on a forum to help others, from time to time the embassy changes procedures

so having many answers will get information to the individual if they may need an atty.

Finally OP you should contact your Senators office , sign the info authorization form and the liasion there may get you some help

good Luck Lady.....Stay positive, its a pause not a period

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You know what are you a consular officer. It seem like u know everything there is to know about the steps an officer make when making a decision. Like i said if u don't have nothing nice to say, keep it moving. Obviously if you knew everything you would not bee on visa journey like the rest of us. Have you ever thought about that. Keep your comments to ur self if there not going to at least try and help make my situation better. Pleas do not comment on my post anymore because your not a positive person , ur just someone who does not give a dam about the bullshit that comes out of there mouth.

Love this comment....so true

Timeline

The OP came here because its a DIY forum..no one here profess to be exp. immigration attys

however OP was getting responses from most ppl of her Embassy who had gone thru it, going thru or may

have had a family member they knew that went thru the process. In Kingston they will take the previous

year, or she will need a co-sponsor.

Now being a novice myself I would say scan & email with an explanation to the embassy, she may get lucky to be

called back (fiancé)

look for a co-sponsor....these days its hard to get ppl signing to be partially responsible for just a friend financially

Finally she can go get married to the fiancé which I guess would add more time & money to the process.

There's just no reason for a person/s to be berated on a forum to help others, from time to time the embassy changes procedures

so having many answers will get information to the individual if they may need an atty.

Finally OP you should contact your Senators office , sign the info authorization form and the liasion there may get you some help

good Luck Lady.....Stay positive, its a pause not a period

Exactly my thoughts.

Timeline

So what is the difference between a co sponsor and a joint sponsor. Because joint mean together? I don't get it. I'm going off the 864 requirements

The I 864 is the guide line for the AOS...which require your income to be 125% above the poverty level...the I-364 on the other hand only require your income to be 100% above the poverty guideline so if you meet the 125% guideline then you should definitely be good to go for the I-134....I wish you nothing but luck and hope things work out for you...Please do not let all this negativity keep you down....As I always say fight to resolve the issue until there is nothing left to fight for.

BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I found a co sponsor that has a household of 4+1 for my fiance so its 5. Together with his wife he made $80,000 + on his 2012 tax return with him alone he made $55,000 of that . Income guidelines for a family of 5 is 34462. This should be enough and even if they filed jointly and they look at his income only on the tax return, it shows he made $55,000 by himself. Am i correct. Also if they help me like they said . Is it only binding until i file the AOS and affidavit for support which from what i understand would include just my income for my house . What do u guys mean when it says not legally binding.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Not legally binding means that if your fiance were to receive some sort of welfare (which he's not even entitled to, but anyway), then the government can't come after either you or the co-sponsor. The I-864 (which you'll fill out for AoS) is legally binding, which means that the government can go to you to receive compensation for that welfare.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I found a co sponsor that has a household of 4+1 for my fiance so its 5. Together with his wife he made $80,000 + on his 2012 tax return with him alone he made $55,000 of that . Income guidelines for a family of 5 is 34462. This should be enough and even if they filed jointly and they look at his income only on the tax return, it shows he made $55,000 by himself. Am i correct. Also if they help me like they said . Is it only binding until i file the AOS and affidavit for support which from what i understand would include just my income for my house . What do u guys mean when it says not legally binding.

Awesome news. Happy for you. Get those papers in (also don;t forget to have their proof of citizenship or being a LPR). dancin5hr.gif

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

By the way, something that rarely seems to get mentioned about the I-864 is that while it's legally binding - there is almost no chance the co-sponsor would ever have to pay anything.

The I-864 obligates sponsors and co-sponsors to pay the government back for any "means-tested" funds they receive from the government (think welfare). "Means-tested" means that the immigrant applying for some kind of welfare benefits - must meet a low-income threshold. Usually that means they must make something below the poverty level in order to qualify to receive the government benefits.

HOWEVER, the government is obligated to look not only at the immigrant's income, but at their sponsor's and co-sponsor's income as well. So, if the co-sponsor earns more than the poverty level, that means the immigrant WON'T QUALIFY to receive the funds! Which then of course means that the government can't sue anyone to recoup the funds - because no funds would have ever been issued to the immigrant.

In my case, I've asked my sister to co-sponsor us. But she immediately said no, because she thought she would possibly be liable for tens of thousands of dollars on behalf of my fiance. She also thought she would be liable for ANY expenses my fiance might incur. For instance, she thought if my fiance had an automobile accident and someone sued her - that she might be liable for that. However, the co-sponsor is only responsible for means-tested benefits paid to the immigrant by the government. They are not responsible for anything else at all. They are not responsible for any private legal actions that might be taken against the immigrant.

When I explained all of this to her, she decided to take a second look. I think she thinks I'm making this up! So she wants to look into it for herself. But I'm sure as soon as she sees that it's true, then she'll have no problem agreeing to do it.

Just thought I'd mention it for those who might be having a hard time convincing someone to act as a co-sponsor. In the end, there is pretty much zero chance they would ever be obligated to pay back anything (as long as the co-sponsor continues to earn more the poverty level).

Edited by Jaybolo

event.png

event.png

event.png

I Am The Petitioner

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? WE WISH!

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

I-129F Sent : 12/07/2013

I-129F NOA1 : 12/16/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 12/24/2013

Wait... wait... wait... wait...

Asked Congressman to send service request to USCIS: 7/1/2014

USCIS received Congressman's inquiry: 7/3/2014

Notification via USCIS Website of NOA2 - Approved: 7/5/2014

NOA2: 6/25/2014 - We found out later it had been approved (but not posted) before congressional inquiry received.

Shipped to Embassy: 7/17/2014

Received by Embassy: 7/21/2014 - Status: READY

Packet 3.5: 7/24/2014

Packet 3.5 Sent: 8/7/2014 (We had delays because of civil unrest in Pakistan)

Embassy Receive: 8/21/2014 (Again delays due to civil unrest)

Receive Appointment Letter/Interview Date: 8/27/2014 (interview date in just 9 days)!

Medical Exam: 8/29/2014 (Yikes! The whole thing has now been postponed for 2 months for TB testing)

Interview Date: Originally 9/5/2014 - Now Postponed for at least two months

TB Test Results: 10/15/2014 - came back 18 days early! And she's negative!

Interview Rescheduled 10/17/2014: (embassy moving at lightning speed)!

New Interview Date: 10/29/2014 APPROVED!!!

CEAC Updates to AP: 11/13/2014

CEAC Updates to ISSUED!! 11/14/2014

Visa In-Hand: 11/24/2014

Arrival in USA: 11/27/2014 -- 11 MONTHS, 1 WEEK, 4 DAYS AFTER NOA1

MARRIED: 11/30/2014 !!!

[/center]

THE END!

• 2 weeks later...

JA embassy is big on having a co-sponsor - seemingly regardless of income. Same thing happened to us but we had one ready to go even though I made enough

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.