Tighfield

I could be freaking myself out...

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Women can change men :) It's some sort of...sorcery.

He went through a terrible breakup with a girl this year that lasted way longer than it should have. I mean, he seems to think my girlfriend's sister is cute, but he has told me before that he cannot even fathom doing what I'm doing.

Timeline

That's why he's tagging along :)

Could be why he is getting excited about going and not sleeping much over it. Haha! But he agreed to go long before all this. I think for him, he just wants to get away from it all for a bit. I was teasing him eariler today saying "So you're coming to the wedding?" He's like "No! I can't afford another trip!" But I know he would just to stare at the pretty girls. Haha!

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My trip to Vietnam gets closer and closer. It'll be my first time meeting my girlfriend face to face. But recently I have been reading up on the country and finding a lot of bad things. Scary things. I know everyone has their own experiences, good and bad. I told myself a hundred times that they're just stories. Stories about mafia girls or if you do not spend a lot of money, you will be treated badly. Am I just freaking myself out? Maybe I am just nervous because this is my overseas relationship? *sigh* I just needed a place to vent and this is the first place I thought of. Everyone seems so relaxed about travelling. Whereas I have no experience.

I remember coming to Vietnam 4 1/2 years ago. It was my first time leaving the USA. I was so excited but a little scared too. There are a lot of unknowns for you. 1st time to Vietnam, first time meeting your girl etc.... Just relax. Vietnam is awesome. You will be a little overwhelmed with the experience at first. Everything here is opposite of what you know and are use to in the US. Just be respectful, enjoy the experience, and DON"T flash money around. Know one expects you to spend lots of money. Really they lose respect and think you are stupid for trying to spend a lot of money and show off. Now, with the family, if you go out to dinner or something with the whole family, don't be surprised if they expect you to pay the bill. Maybe that is what some of stories you have read might be meaning.

As I stated I came to Vietnam 4 1/2 years ago.....AND...I am still here!!! I love Vietnam. I have had many great experiences here and life lessons. I am now married and have a child. I will be taking my wife and son back to the US soon. It will be exciting sharing that experience with them.

Stop freaking out....just stick to your insticts, be smart, and be respectful and you will be just fine.

11-28-2010 - Married

USCIS:
03/14/2013 - I-130 Sent
03/18/2013 - NOA1

06/05/2013 RFE issued

06/25/2013 RFE recieved in mail

06/28/2013 RFE requested docs. sent to USCIS from abroad

07/08/2013 RFE entered into USCIS system as received and "RFE Review" status online

07/16/2013 NOA2 received by email

07/19/2013 Email from USCIS stating case file has been sent to NVC

07/27/2013 Hard copy of NOA2 recieved abroad (Vietnam) by mail

NVC:
08/02/2013 Received NVC case number via email

08/02/2013 Sent DS-3032 via emial

08/05/2013 Paid AOS ($88) fee

08/19/2013 DS-3032 accepted by NVC

08/26/2013 Paid IV ($230) fee

09/04/2013 Completed new DS-260 Online in place of the old (DS-230 paper form)

09/10/2013 I-864 Sent

10/04/2013 Check list

11/02/2013 Check list

12/14/2013 Case Complete

12/30/2013 Interview Scheduled for Feb 25 2014

US Consulate HCMC, Vietnam

02/25/2014 I-R1 Immigrant Visa interview (APPROVED!!)

03/06/2014 Visa delivered

Filed: Timeline

Have Fun Tightfield! and Best of luck!

If you have time, and in the area of Vung Tau, get some Banh Khot, Extremely great crispy snack/meal - far better than any in the US.

Chris, Congraluations on everything. Wishing you and Trinh all the best. In your 4 1/2 years, I'm assuming you picked up a lot of Vietnamese on the way?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Have Fun Tightfield! and Best of luck!

If you have time, and in the area of Vung Tau, get some Banh Khot, Extremely great crispy snack/meal - far better than any in the US.

Chris, Congraluations on everything. Wishing you and Trinh all the best. In your 4 1/2 years, I'm assuming you picked up a lot of Vietnamese on the way?

Sad to say that I know more Spanish from when I studied it my freshman year of highschool (You don't even want to know how long ago that was) than I know Vietnamese from living here 4 1/2 years. Actually that is not true but close. I honestly can not have a conversation in Vietnamese. I can understand the main topic if I listen to a conversation. I can buy or order something from a store or restaurant. That is about it. Vietnamese is pretty difficult and I have never taken a class. Honestly, anyone could get by without Vietnamese living in Saigon. I guess a lot of it is being American, or I am sure the same in Europe, in our thinking that why should we learn another language when everyone is learning to speak English. Everyone learns English because it has a value for their lives. Vietnamese don't have much value for me to be honest. I know that sounds bad.

My son is 2 and he knows Vietnamese better than I do. I learn as he learns really. It is a fun process to see how quickly he picks up 2 languages.

Anyway, thanks for your well wishes.

11-28-2010 - Married

USCIS:
03/14/2013 - I-130 Sent
03/18/2013 - NOA1

06/05/2013 RFE issued

06/25/2013 RFE recieved in mail

06/28/2013 RFE requested docs. sent to USCIS from abroad

07/08/2013 RFE entered into USCIS system as received and "RFE Review" status online

07/16/2013 NOA2 received by email

07/19/2013 Email from USCIS stating case file has been sent to NVC

07/27/2013 Hard copy of NOA2 recieved abroad (Vietnam) by mail

NVC:
08/02/2013 Received NVC case number via email

08/02/2013 Sent DS-3032 via emial

08/05/2013 Paid AOS ($88) fee

08/19/2013 DS-3032 accepted by NVC

08/26/2013 Paid IV ($230) fee

09/04/2013 Completed new DS-260 Online in place of the old (DS-230 paper form)

09/10/2013 I-864 Sent

10/04/2013 Check list

11/02/2013 Check list

12/14/2013 Case Complete

12/30/2013 Interview Scheduled for Feb 25 2014

US Consulate HCMC, Vietnam

02/25/2014 I-R1 Immigrant Visa interview (APPROVED!!)

03/06/2014 Visa delivered

Filed: Timeline

Sad to say that I know more Spanish from when I studied it my freshman year of highschool (You don't even want to know how long ago that was) than I know Vietnamese from living here 4 1/2 years. Actually that is not true but close. I honestly can not have a conversation in Vietnamese. I can understand the main topic if I listen to a conversation. I can buy or order something from a store or restaurant. That is about it. Vietnamese is pretty difficult and I have never taken a class. Honestly, anyone could get by without Vietnamese living in Saigon. I guess a lot of it is being American, or I am sure the same in Europe, in our thinking that why should we learn another language when everyone is learning to speak English. Everyone learns English because it has a value for their lives. Vietnamese don't have much value for me to be honest. I know that sounds bad.

My son is 2 and he knows Vietnamese better than I do. I learn as he learns really. It is a fun process to see how quickly he picks up 2 languages.

Anyway, thanks for your well wishes.

Chris, it's all good man, as you've said it is a very difficult language and unless you plan to do business with Vietnamese people then its probably not worth the time investment. As you've said, most people are trying to learn English. If you could understand the main topic of a conversation just by listening, that's very impressive. which district do you live in in Vietnam if you don't mind me asking? Also, what are good spots to go in Saigon? I've been there a couple of times over the past few years, but everything is always a rush and I never really get to enjoy the local spots. I use to go to this coffee place out there called Mien Dong Thao, but it's kind of out of the way. and end up spending $20 on taxi fair alone for round trip.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Sorry guys, I have been rather busy since I came back home. Everything went great! Far greater than I ever could have expected. The flight over there was mind numbing, but completely worth it. Vietnam is a beautiful country indeed. My girlfriend and I hit it off really well and had lots of fun. My buddy had more fun than ever could have expected and made a connection with one of my girlfriend's friends. :)

It's really hard to describe the connection my girlfriend and I have now that we have met. Her siblings like me and her parents like me. I met a few of her friends and they are just really cool humble people. They all accept our relationship. Going to Vietnam during Tet was truly awesome and I'm glad I experienced it. After the first day or two, I started to feel really comfortable. Having lunch with my girlfriend's family was great too. Though I am not much of a drinker, I tried to entertain them. And my girlfriend had to step in and tell her uncles to lighten up, that I don't like alcohol that much. :)

We talked a lot before, but now I don't ever seem to skip a minute without talking to her. We Skype as much as we can and I enrolled her into English classes with a private teacher. It is just one of those things that when you know it feels right, go with it. And this feels right. We've had many conversations about where our relationship will go now. I will see her again this September for 2 weeks this time. We plan on visiting her parents and going to Nha Trang. So thus, everything went very well and hopefully soon I will join the ranks of those who must go through the whole visa process. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.