Alex+R

Senate to HIV-Positive Immigrants: Go Home

125 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...and thinking with your heart instead of common sense is a quick ticket to hell.

Well then.

Didn't Jesus say compassion was the road to hell too? :huh:

Must have been a B-side.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

But seriously, the risks an HIV-positive immigrant aware of his/her own status are really not significant. Most HIV is spread by people who don't know they have it.

It's not like we're keeping out the Black Death at the POEs anymore.

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...and thinking with your heart instead of common sense is a quick ticket to hell.

Well then.

Didn't you ever hear of separation of church and state?

And that old saying about "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" is only a metaphor.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Well then.

And that old saying about "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" is only a metaphor.

a metaphor for what? :wacko:

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline

Well then.

It's an old metaphor...go ask your granny!

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well then.

Except that it's not really a metaphor at all, more of an adage. Go ask your dictionary! :innocent:

Timeline

Except that it's not really a metaphor at all, more of an adage. Go ask your dictionary! :innocent:

Thanks...I stand corrected. It is an old adage. :whistle:

However...adage or metaphor...it is still way over her head. She'll probably still need plenty of coaching from granny to figure it out. ;)

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
If you think current immigration restrictions against HIV-positive would-be immigrants are harsh...

I don't. HIV treatment is expensive. The disease is incurable, terminal. And the disease itself can be spread from person to person, and not always through what we'd call "unsafe behaviors". Why in the world would we knowingly import more of this?

The undocumented population and all guest workers, the supposed beneficiaries of the Senate proposal, are to be tested en masse for HIV. If an individual tests positive, he or she would be denied a visa and deported.

Having HIV makes a potential immigrant inadmissible. The bleeding hearts may have a problem with this, but I do not.

I guess people are just scared. And also cold. And unfeeling. Bastards.

It has been long standing standard policy to bar immigrants with communicable diseases from entry into the USA. Ellis Island, Baltimore, New Orleans, Galveston, etc. were not only immigrant ports of entries at the turn of the 19th to 20th century...they were quarantine stations where immigrants were examined for communicable diseases and routinely as a matter of policy denied entry for diseases. This is for the safety of the American people.

Immigration is a privilege...not a right.

Two cents of opinion from a cold, unfeeling, #######. P.S.: I have an intense dislike for that abomination S.2611, but for far different reasons than this provision (which I support).

I agree with Gupt and peejay. Immigration is a privilege and it incurrs responsibilites. Liberals who want eveyone to have rights seldom mention responsibilities.

However...adage or metaphor...it is still way over her head. She'll probably still need plenty of coaching from granny to figure it out. ;)

oh i understand it as an adage, but it was you offering it as a metaphor. ;)

Dismissive, condecending and judgemental, but typical.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Timeline
I agree with Gupt and peejay. Immigration is a privilege and it incurs responsibilities. Liberals who want eveyone to have rights seldom mention responsibilities.

What is the responsibility in question--the responsibility to not get HIV? I really don't understand your point.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I agree with Gupt and peejay. Immigration is a privilege and it incurs responsibilities. Liberals who want eveyone to have rights seldom mention responsibilities.

What is the responsibility in question--the responsibility to not get HIV? I really don't understand your point.

I agreed that immigration is a privilege, not a right. Then, I added that privilege incurs responsibilities. In this case, the potential beneficiary's responsibility is to accept the fact that a sovereign nation has the right and ability to set the bar for whom it allows into its borders. A sovereign nation has an explicit responsibility is to protect its citizenry. For those with contagious diseases, not limited to HIV, but also leprosy, gnathostomiasis, and Chagas disease, among others, the bar has been set higher due to the fact that they can transmit disease to others, thus, constitute an additional risk.

Timeline

I agreed that immigration is a privilege, not a right. Then, I added that privilege incurs responsibilities. In this case, the potential beneficiary's responsibility is to accept the fact that a sovereign nation has the right and ability to set the bar for whom it allows into its borders. A sovereign nation has an explicit responsibility is to protect its citizenry. For those with contagious diseases, not limited to HIV, but also leprosy, gnathostomiasis, and Chagas disease, among others, the bar has been set higher due to the fact that they can transmit disease to others, thus, constitute an additional risk.

The bar has been set higher. That's the status quo. You want to make it impossible. Correct?

I don't think anyone is arguing that those that are HIV positive should have undeniable right to immigrate. The discussion is whether they should have the right to appeal with a wavier.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting