southernchic

African male culture...

148 posts in this topic

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is funny....

In my situation, we dealt with the meaning of words by having conversations. Mainly, it took my husband realizing that my intention is not disprespectful towards him in using certain words and that I have been using them for over 25 years and i will not change overnight. On my side, I do try to not use words or phrases that I have now learned are offensive to my man. but if i happen to say one, its not a big deal anymore. he knows my intentions. If i want to get a point across in an arguement that what he is saying is rude. i am ask him if understands the meaning or consequences of what he is really saying---and he does the same with me too.

Both partners need lots of patience in a bicultural relationship. :thumbs:

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

My phrase is "shut up" "for real" "shut up". I usually say this when I am excited or find out about some exciting news. So, when he told me about a mutual friend having a baby I responded with "shut up". The phone was dead for a minute and I said are you still there? :unsure: He said you told me to shut up and why did you say that to me? I could tell he was offended and I tried to explain. :blink: End result he didn't like it and was offended.

I'll try better next time.

I-130

03-17-07 Mailed

03-23-07 Recvd fwd to CSC NOA1

03-27-07 Update

APPROVED 09-05-07

09-06-07 Update

09-10-07 NOA2 in mail

I-129F

04-04-07 Mailed

04-24-07 Updated Recvd NBC NOA1

04-26-07 Update

05-08-07 Update

05-11-07 Update trnsfr to CSC

05-15-07 Update

05-17-07 Recvd trnsfr letter in mail

06-05-07 Update case pending @ CSC

06-06-07 Update

APPROVED 09-05-07

09-06-07 Update

09-10-07 NOA2 in mail

09-27-07 Arrived at NVC

10-06-07 NVC notice via mail

10-31-07 Mailed to the Embassy

11-04-07 Recvd at the Embassy

02-20-08 Medical Appointment

03-11-08 Redo Police record

04-11-08 Interview

02-17-09 Interview

06-04-09 redo medical & Police Record

06-09-09 Resubmit info @ Embassy

ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW

A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline
My phrase is "shut up" "for real" "shut up". I usually say this when I am excited or find out about some exciting news. So, when he told me about a mutual friend having a baby I responded with "shut up". The phone was dead for a minute and I said are you still there? :unsure: He said you told me to shut up and why did you say that to me? I could tell he was offended and I tried to explain. :blink: End result he didn't like it and was offended.

This is so true! My husband is from Cameroon and I can totally relate. :lol:

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
This thread is funny....

In my situation, we dealt with the meaning of words by having conversations. Mainly, it took my husband realizing that my intention is not disprespectful towards him in using certain words and that I have been using them for over 25 years and i will not change overnight. On my side, I do try to not use words or phrases that I have now learned are offensive to my man. but if i happen to say one, its not a big deal anymore. he knows my intentions. If i want to get a point across in an arguement that what he is saying is rude. i am ask him if understands the meaning or consequences of what he is really saying---and he does the same with me too.

Both partners need lots of patience in a bicultural relationship. :thumbs:

good way to word it. I may start using that myself. Starting today !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

By now I think my husband is understanding my sarcasm so it's not a big deal anymore. But early on, he just didn't get it. So I understand totally about the taking-it-literally situation. My issue sometimes with him is his tone. He will mean no harm in asking me to do something, but sometimes I feel like it's my father asking me. At first I found myself snapping back because well....I just don't like to be *told* what to do. However, knowing him, I know he's not the type to be that way. And any time I bring up his tone, he re-iterates that he is not trying to act like the "chief of the house." So I chalk it up the tone thing as a nuance used in speaking his native language. After spending time in his country I have learned to understand that sometimes peope just talk to each other differently than we might here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

:lol::lol:

11/27/2006 Filed I-129F

12/01/06 received at CSC NOA1

12/09/06 checked cleared

02/28/07 touched!

02/28/07 NOA2 via email 3 of them!!!!

03/01/07 touched

03/09/07 NOA2 received via snail mail

03/20/07 Received email from Sydney that packet 3 should be mailed out tomorrow

03/26/07 Fiance received packet 3

4/26/07 Fiance medical appointment

5/01/07 New date of medical appointment

5/14/07 Fiance interview date!

VISA APPROVED!

6/8/07 My fiance arrives in America

7/14/07 Wedding day!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My fiance is Nigerian. Any insight into Nigerian men? I haven't noticed too many cultural differences thus far. However, we are near the end of the K1 process and haven't lived together yet.

Shanon (F)

09/11/06 (09/12 GMT): Introduced.

12/08-12/14/06: Had a wonderful time visiting Kessington in Senegal.

12/11/06: We became engaged!!!

12/26/06: Mailed I-129F to USCIS TSC. Petition forwarded to CSC.

01/08/07: Receipt date per USCIS.

01/09/07: Check cashed.

01/10/07: Touched.

01/16?/07: Received NOA1 in the mail.

02/20/07: Finally a second touch.

02/21/07: Touched two days in a row!

03/28/07: Touched.

03/29/07: Received an e-mail that USCIS mailed our approval notice on 03/28/07!!

03/31/07: Received NOA2 in the mail.

04/16/07: NVC received approved petition. (Finally!)

04/18/07: Case transferred to embassy in Senegal, according to NVC.

04/21/07: Received snail mail notice from NVC dated 04/19/07 that they recently received our

petition & it would be forwarded w/in a week.

04/24/07: Embassy received approved petition. Signed for by Luc Badiane.

04/25/07: Received e-mail from embassy, in reply to my e-mail from 04/20, stating they've

received our petition & have attached instructions & forms necessary for the interview.

04/26/07: Embassy hadn't contacted my fiance, so I forwarded the e-mail I received from them to him.

06/21/07: INTERVIEW --embassy "confirming my fiance's eligibility for a visa" ???

10/16/07: 2ND INTERVIEW(Please let his visa be granted this time Lord). APPROVED!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In nigeria there are basically 3 tribal types....ibo, hausa, and yorba. I have friends from all 3 tribes.....and they have there differences. My husband is ibo, and he is a Christian man.....we do have our "differences", but we respect eachother and understand that God created us that way....to have our own thoughts and theories.

His upbringing and how women should be is different.....I respect that...but I have to also let him know that we are not in Nigeria and my coulture is different....it is a man/women's world here :) It is very important to recognize and respect the differences.....but to accept and love eachother regardless and build a foundation together that will include eachother's differences :)

To Blessed to be stressed:) I realize that all things have a purpose and a time.....have faith and the Lord Almighty will provide... when the time is right, he NEVER fails!

But anyway, the only thing I've had to get used to is that sometimes when something is bothering him, he doesn't want to discuss it right away.

Ombeni does that too! I think it's partially to do with the fact that Tanzanian society in general is more "polite" than what I'm used to. It's impolite to talk about your problems, or something. That's verrrrry frustrating sometimes, when he's visibly upset and tries to convince me that he's fine. It's okay to be unhappy sometimes!

That's what concerns me most about making this transition... there are going to be unexpected, unpleasant things he will experience here, and he's just going to bottle everything up.

Timeline
I haven't noticed much of a gap with mine, either. Liberians are very American in their thinking so we agree and have the same viewpoints on a lot of things. Booker is very open with me. I think he may be a little more open than I am and he is always willing to "discuss" things. One of the cultural clashes I have noticed are the meaning of words (as Omoba mentioned earlier). He takes a word for it's literal meaning and I am a very sarcastic and hardly use a word for it's literal meaning. That can cause some friction between us sometimes because I see it as a joke and he sees it as an insult. I told him he better lighten up before he gets to America or he'll be walking around offended and feeling insulted all day. He will have to learn that Americans can use one word in several different ways, not just the literal meaning in the dictionary.

LOL! That is so true. My fiance takes things in the literal sense as well. :blink:

LOL....the word that keeps me in trouble and I love to use....DUH....lol

Yeah, I once told my fiance' via e=mail that I just could not wait until he got here meaning I would be so excited. He responded with a long letter about patience and please don't say such things as he wanted me to wait for him etc.!! Many times things like this have happened, especially when e-mailing!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:lol::lol:

I don't want to be rude in any way; but from your timeline of time actually spent in one's company, I'm thinking you really do need to talk to a lot of people on here who have experienced marriage to Nigerian men.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Yeah, I once told my fiance' via e=mail that I just could not wait until he got here meaning I would be so excited. He responded with a long letter about patience and please don't say such things as he wanted me to wait for him etc.!! Many times things like this have happened, especially when e-mailing!

We had the same misunderstanding...... :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.