African male culture...

148 posts in this topic

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

Jenn: I have to say that my husband seems to be the same way with not talking about things right away, but I see this as more of a character trait than a cultural difference. In fact he and I are much the same way in that respect. If I have an issue or I am upset, I don't like to talk a lot either. Rather, I want to think about the situation and then talk.

Going into my relationship I expected so many cultural clashes to come up either based on my own experiences or hearing it from other people, but I am realizing (at least in my relationship) that the gap is not as wide as I thought.

Edited by taurean

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

I haven't noticed much of a gap with mine, either. Liberians are very American in their thinking so we agree and have the same viewpoints on a lot of things. Booker is very open with me. I think he may be a little more open than I am and he is always willing to "discuss" things. One of the cultural clashes I have noticed are the meaning of words (as Omoba mentioned earlier). He takes a word for it's literal meaning and I am a very sarcastic and hardly use a word for it's literal meaning. That can cause some friction between us sometimes because I see it as a joke and he sees it as an insult. I told him he better lighten up before he gets to America or he'll be walking around offended and feeling insulted all day. He will have to learn that Americans can use one word in several different ways, not just the literal meaning in the dictionary.

Filed: Other Timeline
I haven't noticed much of a gap with mine, either. Liberians are very American in their thinking so we agree and have the same viewpoints on a lot of things. Booker is very open with me. I think he may be a little more open than I am and he is always willing to "discuss" things. One of the cultural clashes I have noticed are the meaning of words (as Omoba mentioned earlier). He takes a word for it's literal meaning and I am a very sarcastic and hardly use a word for it's literal meaning. That can cause some friction between us sometimes because I see it as a joke and he sees it as an insult. I told him he better lighten up before he gets to America or he'll be walking around offended and feeling insulted all day. He will have to learn that Americans can use one word in several different ways, not just the literal meaning in the dictionary.

LOL! That is so true. My fiance takes things in the literal sense as well. :blink:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

LOL! That is so true. My fiance takes things in the literal sense as well. :blink:

LOL....the word that keeps me in trouble and I love to use....DUH....lol

7/20/05 - Visa received in the mail

9/13/05 - Arrival to Texas FINALLY!!!

12/2/05 - Wedding

1/25/06 - AOS/EAD sent

1/26/06 - AOS/EAD received at USCIS

02/4/06 - NOA received for EAD

02/6/06 - NOA received for AOS

02/7/06 - ASC appt notice rcv'd

03/2/06 - Biometrics appt.

05/15/06 - AOS Approval (stamp in passport)

05/23/06 - Received Welcome letter

05/26/06 - Green Card arrived in mail yaaaahhooooo

08/10/06 - Hubby 1st job in US

05/15/08 - ??? what next

Timeline

LOL. mine is "you're so silly" or "you're so crazy"...in a laughing and joking manner. He gets completely quiet and then starts his rant about not using those words as jokes and to look in the dictionary for the true meaning and I will then understand why it isn't so funny. :rolleyes: Geez, I was JUST JOKING!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
More cultural clashes become evident as time goes on and especially during

the everyday living together in marriage.

Wait until you have some arguements and use certain words like rude or silly !

WW3 may break out ! :o:rolleyes:

....calling Princess Metzger......

This is so interesting to me. I thought I was the only one using the word "rude" and your right....It does cause WW3. To me it is not much of an insulting word. Sometimes it just pops out. I'm getting better at realizing which words are offensive....Does anyone have an example of a alternative word or phrase that can be used to get my point across without starting a big argument?

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
More cultural clashes become evident as time goes on and especially during

the everyday living together in marriage.

Wait until you have some arguements and use certain words like rude or silly !

WW3 may break out ! :o:rolleyes:

....calling Princess Metzger......

This is so interesting to me. I thought I was the only one using the word "rude" and your right....It does cause WW3. To me it is not much of an insulting word. Sometimes it just pops out. I'm getting better at realizing which words are offensive....Does anyone have an example of a alternative word or phrase that can be used to get my point across without starting a big argument?

instead of rude you can try ' insensitive ', or ' thoughtless.'

Anyone has any other words that would offend but that we think nothing off ?

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I often use the phrase "That is so stupid" ie., driving on the highway, something on TV, etc., etc. (not specifically directed at my husband), but he thinks that's one of the worst things to come out of my mouth.

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I have the same problem when I talk to my fiance. Sometimes I say soemthing in all manner of being sarcastic and he gets upset with me. My mistake was thinking that I was "Ghanaian" enough to not make these little mistakes because I have been going there frequently over the years and it is my second home. I thought I was so assimilated in the culture that I would not make such a mistake. WRONG!!

As much as I try to remember that the person on the other end of the line is not familiar with my little quirks (sometimes that is hard to forget) the reponses I get are "Huh?" and his favorite phrase is "I don't understand your American slang" which cracks me up (but sometimes it makes the situation worse :no: )

So yeah, that is my 2 cents.

But like everything else, it takes time.

Patience is a virtue :yes:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
I often use the phrase "That is so stupid" ie., driving on the highway, something on TV, etc., etc. (not specifically directed at my husband), but he thinks that's one of the worst things to come out of my mouth.

Oh, I forgot that one! I say that a lot, too and in the same way you say it. Booker will say (with his cute little accent) "Shaun, how can you say SUCH A THING!?! I don't care what you are referring to, it is never a good habit to call anything stupid, OH!" ROFL. I get so tired of having to explain to him that it's not meant literally, lol.

I have the same problem when I talk to my fiance. Sometimes I say soemthing in all manner of being sarcastic and he gets upset with me. My mistake was thinking that I was "Ghanaian" enough to not make these little mistakes because I have been going there frequently over the years and it is my second home. I thought I was so assimilated in the culture that I would not make such a mistake. WRONG!!

As much as I try to remember that the person on the other end of the line is not familiar with my little quirks (sometimes that is hard to forget) the reponses I get are "Huh?" and his favorite phrase is "I don't understand your American slang" which cracks me up (but sometimes it makes the situation worse :no: )

So yeah, that is my 2 cents.

But like everything else, it takes time.

Patience is a virtue :yes:

Booker says that too and then he will say, "Well, I am a Liberian and in my own Liberian way, we don't say things like that...I want you to go check it up good in the dictionary and tell me who is wrong...Liberians or Americans?" lol.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Booker says that too and then he will say, "Well, I am a Liberian and in my own Liberian way, we don't say things like that...I want you to go check it up good in the dictionary and tell me who is wrong...Liberians or Americans?" lol.

I get that too all the time about the dictionary thing! Sometimes he's like "Why don't you go get a dictionary and tell me what that word means" and I don't know whether to laugh or cry because he used to be a teacher and we all know that teachers know everything ;)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.