clarebearhh

UK citizen wanting to live and work in the US.

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

I've been googling this title a lot and it seems to be getting me nowhere. I am being given no direct information that is relevant to my situation. Hopefully you can help smile.png

I went to American over the summer on a J1 visa and worked in a summer camp. I'm aware lots of people do this and it's a great way to get out there. I made loads of friends and I fell in love with America, so once I graduate from university in the UK I would like to go out to live and work there.

I know it's not as easy as applying for a visa and moving out there, but my question is - what do I need to do to make this happen? What visa do I need to apply for? I feel like I'm going around in circles. What do I need to do?

Many thanks smile.png

You have essentially three options: (i) marry an American; (ii) study in the US on an F-1 visa (this is expensive); or (iii) find a company willing to sponsor you for an H-1B visa (this will be expensive for the company).

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Work visas require an employer to sponsor you. So your best option is to get some good work experience in the UK, and then try and impress a US employer. Depending on what you are studying, one option may be to get hired by a multi-national such as Google or Microsoft, work for them for a few years in the UK, then ask for a transfer to the US.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you fall in love with an American?

What is your degree in?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback. My degree is a BA (hons) in Creative Writing from the University of Winchester, and I finish in May 2014. This would be the time I would be looking to move out to America. I understand it's very difficult so thanks for your advice :)

Timeline

Have you thought of doing a Masters in the US? In something that might be more likely to result in a job?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yes I have considered it but I fear it may be quite expensive and I would not be able to fund it myself. Do you have any information on this?

Many thanks.

If you google about, you'll find websites like this:

https://www.educationusa.info/5_steps_to_study/graduate_step_1_research_your_options.php

http://www.studyabroad.com/programs/north+america,usa/default.aspx

(no idea if those sites are reputable, btw, just plugging "studying in the usa" into google)

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Timeline

It's doubtful that there is a high demand for folks with a degree in 'Creative Writing'....by now, half of America cannot read nor write....(if you doubt this, go to...'www.Yay-hoos.com'....this site is full of people whose IQ hovers around 80 on a warm day....our country is swiftly turning into a bunch of reality show aficionados, whose main intellectual challenge is to figure out which channel their favorite show is being broadcast.....(a truly sad state of affairs)....

There are three main ways in which a UK citizen can legally live and work in the US permanently:

1. Through immediate relatives, or

2. Through the Diversity Visa, aka "green card lottery", or

3. Through employment.

Let's cover your options here.

1. You can immigrate to the US if you have immediate relatives who are US citizens. "Immediate relative" means either your spouse, parent(s), child over 21, or sibling. You can also immigrate through family if your spouse is a permanent resident, or if you are unmarried, under 21, and one of your parents is a permanent resident. If neither of these apply, let's skip to the DV lottery.

2. The Diversity Visa is a visa that virtually anyone can apply for. However, there are certain restreictions, and one is that your country of citizenship has a low rate of immigration to the US. The UK has a relatively high rate of immigration to the US, so most UK citizens are ineligible. However, if you happen to be from Northern Ireland, or by chance happen to be a dual citizen, you may be able to apply. The reason it's commonly referred to as the DV "lottery" is because even if you're eligible to apply, only 50,000 Diversity Visas are allocated each year. With annual applicants in the millions, most applicants have about a 1% chance of winning each year.

3. The main route towards an employment based green card is the H1B visa. The H1B is a non-immigrant visa, but can be extended, or in many cases the employer can sponsor you for permanent residence. This is a very long, and complicated process, so let's just stick to the H1B for now. The H1B visa was designed to allow US companies to hire highly skilled foreign workers. "Highly skilled" means you have to have at least a bachelor's degree, and it should be in a specialized field. The employer has to sponsor you for an H1B, in other words, you cannot apply for an H1B, then go to America and start looking for a job. In addition, there are annual quotas on H1B visas (I believe 165,000 each year) and about 300,000 applicants annually. It will be very difficult to get an H1B visa with a degree in creative writing.

If I were you, I would look into a master's degree at a US school. Getting accepted into an accredited US college or university allows you to apply for an F-1 student visa. Here's the best part: If you graduate with a bachelor or higher from a US school, you are eligible to apply for virtually the only non-sponsor work permit, Optional Practical Training (OPT). This allows you to work for up to one year in a field related to your major. If your major is in the science, technology, engineering or math fields, OPT can be extended by up to 17 months. While OPT is by no means a permanent work permit, it does allow you to apply for jobs without requiring the company to sponsor you. It gives you a "foot in the door." Companies are usually much more willing to sponsor an employee who has worked for them, than spending thousands of dollars to sponsor someone who has never worked for them.

Edited by Yang-Ja

Timeline

Thank you very much for your advice guys :)

I had considered a masters degree as I will have a bachelor of arts by the time I go out there. It seems this is the best way to get my foot in the door.

Has anyone ever done a masters before? What is the best way to fund it? Perhaps this information is in another section.

Timeline

Lots of people do Masters, but this is an Immigration site.

Funding, savings or loans, there is extremely limited working options on a Student visa.

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys,

I've been googling this title a lot and it seems to be getting me nowhere. I am being given no direct information that is relevant to my situation. Hopefully you can help smile.png

I went to American over the summer on a J1 visa and worked in a summer camp. I'm aware lots of people do this and it's a great way to get out there. I made loads of friends and I fell in love with America, so once I graduate from university in the UK I would like to go out to live and work there.

I know it's not as easy as applying for a visa and moving out there, but my question is - what do I need to do to make this happen? What visa do I need to apply for? I feel like I'm going around in circles. What do I need to do?

Many thanks smile.png

Hi!

You can also apply for the green card lotery. it might be a long shot and take a little while, but a friend from the UK applied once, and got it! U might be lucky

Hi!

You can also apply for the green card lotery. it might be a long shot and take a little while, but a friend from the UK applied once, and got it! U might be lucky

When was that and was he Northern Irish (or some other nationality)?

Doesn't look like the rest of the UK was ever eligible:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Depends on where you were born, but unusual for British Citizens to be eligible.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.