In love

Interview completed, but deciding whether or not to hold visa...

23 posts in this topic

What about getting to the US and having a small wedding at a courthouse to keep you in compliance. Then, have the BIG wedding June 21st?

Just a thought~

June 11 - "Welcome to America" letter received!!!!!! WE WENT GREEN!
March 10 - Packet sent to CSC
March 13 - Delivered
March 15 - Check Cashed
March 17 - NOA Arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi In love,

We are on the same boat, I am expecting my visa next week but I can't leave right away,

I have to make sure my work is at least fully turned over or finished before I leave, (planning to leave on Feb to have

the wedding on Feb 21st in NJ) that would mean I have to keep the packet for another 3 months..

which makes me crazy that I would have to worry about it every single day until I finally hand it over to the IO at POE..

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Many of the k1'ers us included, had a smaller wedding and later a large reception with a nice wedding cake, a mucho big reception with lots of cleanup. You have 6 months to use the visa and 90 days to get married and file once you get here. Example we got married in Las Vegas with about 20 close friends, had a reception at the ranch around 30+ days later, the wife did not want two weddings as we already got married. Go for it.

Edited by bigdog

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

A friend of ours who was just approved at the CR consulate was only given 5 months. That's why I am concerned...

Many Embassies will also extend the validity time on the visa, for special reasons.

It's kind of assumed that when one petitions for a K-1 that they will promptly use it when it is obtained....if not then why ask in the first place.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

My now-husband was approved in Feb and couldn't leave until May. We decided to take the package and keep iy in the safest place because we didn't want to risk leaving it at the Embassy to be picked up in May... can you put the packet ay your bank's deposit box by any chance?

I suggest taking the visa and changing your plans accordingly... who knows, you may not even have to change them anyways as April is only 4.5 months away...

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

We went through the same thing last December. Visa was approved and received in early December. I was hesitant to ask my fiancee to arrive in Minnesota in the middle of winter. If someone has never experienced what real cold is, I would never want someone to start living here during the winter season. There are enough other changes going on that having to deal with a temperature difference of 60 to 100 degrees. We waited until March before my fiancee came, then got married in April. We planned on getting married in a larger wedding in May, but my mother was getting closer to passing away and we wanted to have her know that our marriage was complete before she passed.

Waiting until March to arrive I think is a good idea for you for many reasons. This morning was 8 degrees, the coldest my wife has ever experienced before was about 40 degrees. She has had all summer to see how beautiful it can be in Minnesota. She does not hate it here, if she came in the winter I feared that she would just remember the cold and snow and never get to know how nice it can be here too.

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.