mota bhai

Why White People Won't See "Black Movies"

206 posts in this topic

Those Madea and any other Tyler Perry movies just look bad to me. And it has nothing to do with them being "black movies" ..

Those Madea and any other Tyler Perry movies just look bad to me. And it has nothing to do with them being "black movies" ..

The plays are way better. I'd see them before I waste money on the movies. Too commercial.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Something tells me those plays didn't come to suburban Wisconsin.

And you know this man. I saw them on DVD, you can tell they were made ATL, but they travel to where the money is. So most black cities get to see them since there is a demand there.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I have no idea why they remade that movie. I think it's harder to get black films made that don't fit the stereotypes we are used to. It's almost like if you put Kerry Washington in Gravity or Morris Chesnut in Inception no one would see it. Only a few black actors can command box office revenue, Morgan Freeman, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, that's it. Anyone else, it's a gamble most producers wouldn't want to take.

I'm used to British film and TV getting American remakes, so I didn't think anything of it.

Personally, I don't understand why it's so difficult to break the stereotypical mold. IMO that's what keeping out more interracial audiences, not the color of their skin. Make movies about interesting things, and people will go see them. Bland cookie-cutter comedies and rom-coms usually fail, no matter what the actors' races are. That's why movies about slavery and other deeper subjects were the exception to the rule in the original post: People actually go see those, not out of white guilt and/or a sudden realization that racism exists, but because they're typically well-written, well-acted, and pack more of an emotional punch.

I'm also not too big of a fan of the idea that celebrities draw in the crowds (no matter their race). I think we're beyond that point (not in a "racism doesn't exist" way, but we seem to be kind of over celebrities, or at least over believing that having a celebrity in it automatically makes it a good film).

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The plays are way better. I'd see them before I waste money on the movies. Too commercial.

The black lesson I learned today is that there are purist tyler perry fans. We know, you liked him before he was popular. You're the best.

1. Columbiana didn't do good either. Although Zoe is not considered African American, I believe if Angelina played this role the movie would have sold to the teeth. Good story line it was great.

I'm used to British film and TV getting American remakes, so I didn't think anything of it.

Personally, I don't understand why it's so difficult to break the stereotypical mold. IMO that's what keeping out more interracial audiences, not the color of their skin. Make movies about interesting things, and people will go see them. Bland cookie-cutter comedies and rom-coms usually fail, no matter what the actors' races are. That's why movies about slavery and other deeper subjects were the exception to the rule in the original post: People actually go see those, not out of white guilt and/or a sudden realization that racism exists, but because they're typically well-written, well-acted, and pack more of an emotional punch.

I'm also not too big of a fan of the idea that celebrities draw in the crowds (no matter their race). I think we're beyond that point (not in a "racism doesn't exist" way, but we seem to be kind of over celebrities, or at least over believing that having a celebrity in it automatically makes it a good film).

Truth, but who plays in a movie will draw crowds. Many black actors comment on this, talking about the shortage of good roles outside of pimps, home girls, and thugs. Viola Davis, Anthony Mackie to name a few have spoken out to say the least.

The black lesson I learned today is that there are purist tyler perry fans. We know, you liked him before he was popular. You're the best.

I don't like Tyler Perry, his movies are too one dimensional. I've seen 2 of his plays, they were funny to me.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't like Tyler Perry, his movies are too one dimensional. I've seen 2 of his plays, they were funny to me.

You're not playing along with this bit very well.

You're not playing along with this bit very well.

You know if I break out in slang, the regulars would be in here calling me out on it.devil.gif

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Truth, but who plays in a movie will draw crowds. Many black actors comment on this, talking about the shortage of good roles outside of pimps, home girls, and thugs. Viola Davis, Anthony Mackie to name a few have spoken out to say the least.

Is that because it won't draw crowds, or because movie execs are too stupid to realize that casting a black actor in a different role won't actually keep people from the theaters if the movie is worth watching? Kinda hard to draw crowds in certain roles when they aren't GETTING the roles.

Edited by Protocol417

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Is that because it won't draw crowds, or because movie execs are too stupid to realize that casting a black actor in a different role won't actually keep people from the theaters if the movie is worth watching? Kinda hard to draw crowds in certain roles when they aren't GETTING the roles.

It has to do with the audience. Usually, movies are screened by a test audience before it's released. Even though we've made large strides in movies when it comes to minorities, most folks still can't see a black or hispanic person in a movie that isn't race driven.

Did you know that in the Pelican Brief Denzel and Julia were supposed to have a love scene? Word is Julia was down but Denzel didn't want to risk the backlash from the black community and whites alike. This is why I believe she spoke out about him not getting an Oscar before Training Day. There are tons of black actors that would love to have those roles, but if the execs are worried about their bottom line, they'd go for Clooney or Pitt before they go for Idris or Jamie Foxx.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

It has to do with the audience. Usually, movies are screened by a test audience before it's released. Even though we've made large strides in movies when it comes to minorities, most folks still can't see a black or hispanic person in a movie that isn't race driven.

Did you know that in the Pelican Brief Denzel and Julia were supposed to have a love scene? Word is Julia was down but Denzel didn't want to risk the backlash from the black community and whites alike. This is why I believe she spoke out about him not getting an Oscar before Training Day. There are tons of black actors that would love to have those roles, but if the execs are worried about their bottom line, they'd go for Clooney or Pitt before they go for Idris or Jamie Foxx.

Asian men black women too.

Aaliyah and jet Li, Romeo must dies

Auburn's song baby

Rain and Naomi Harris, ninja assassin

This had kiss scenes that was taken out.