mota bhai

Why White People Won't See "Black Movies"

206 posts in this topic

What does it say?

That they find him appealing. Black people, when it comes to mainstream television, have to possess a certain look. Being extremely dark skinned can be a curse. This is why the leading lady in 12 years a slave is getting such rave reviews: http://cloud.theroot.com/views/budding-dark-skinned-superstar

Also, there was an issue last year for the new Acura commercial: http://www.blackenterprise.com/news/acura-faces-controversy-for-casting-call-for-not-too-dark-black-actors-in-ad/

Edit: Just did some research, since Steve Harvey has started hosting the show, rating have increased by 40%. Looks like he saved the show from cancellations.

Edited by Su and Marvin

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Steve Harvey is outstanding on Family Feud. I'd say the best since Richard Dawson. He seems like just a normal guy on the show.

Which reminds me how much I like Nick Cannon on America's Got Talent. I can't stand anything else he's done but he is great on that show.

As for stand up - I prefer Bill Cosby over Pryor, Murphy, or anybody else. Even though he does sit down comedy.

I also think Robert Townsend deserves much more attention than he's gotten. Perhaps that's his choice.

The reason I don't really see many "black movies" is the advertising makes me feel that they're just not for me. Like I'm not the audience they want. /shrug

That they find him appealing. Black people, when it comes to mainstream television, have to possess a certain look. Being extremely dark skinned can be a curse. This is why the leading lady in 12 years a slave is getting such rave reviews: http://cloud.theroot.com/views/budding-dark-skinned-superstar

Also, there was an issue last year for the new Acura commercial: http://www.blackenterprise.com/news/acura-faces-controversy-for-casting-call-for-not-too-dark-black-actors-in-ad/

I don't think his appearance has anything to do with his success on Family Feud. I think it has everything to do with who he is as a person.

First of all, he's very funny and has one of the best straight faces since Johnny Carson. When a contestant says something really odd, he can put on a total blank face and just wait until the laughter dies down. He's great.

And as a host, he entertains and he encourages the contestants and doesn't embarrass anybody. He's just a really good host. I have no idea if he qualifies as extremely dark skinned or not. I just think he's very entertaining.

You're the first truly color blind person I've ever met.

I just don't know how dark a person has to be to qualify as extremely dark.

I do know that I'm extremely pale. If that makes a difference.

I don't think his appearance has anything to do with his success on Family Feud. I think it has everything to do with who he is as a person.

First of all, he's very funny and has one of the best straight faces since Johnny Carson. When a contestant says something really odd, he can put on a total blank face and just wait until the laughter dies down. He's great.

And as a host, he entertains and he encourages the contestants and doesn't embarrass anybody. He's just a really good host. I have no idea if he qualifies as extremely dark skinned or not. I just think he's very entertaining.

Oh I know, he's really funny. I'm talking about from a marketing perspective. In the Great Kings of Comedy, he came second IMO to Bernie Mac, third would be Cedric the Entertainer, then DL last.

Since we come in different shades of black and brown, he comes across as brown skinned. Light skinned would be someone like Shemar Moore, dark skinned would be Bernie Mac, Morris Chesnut, and Wesley Snipes.

I just don't know how dark a person has to be to qualify as extremely dark.

I do know that I'm extremely pale. If that makes a difference.

For us being dark skinned can be bad for TV since for some reason the darker you are the scarier you are.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Which reminds me how much I like Nick Cannon on America's Got Talent. I can't stand anything else he's done but he is great on that show.

Yes! My husband and I always comment on how much better he makes that show. The rapport he manages to have with the performers is always great.

Steve Harvey is outstanding on Family Feud. I'd say the best since Richard Dawson. He seems like just a normal guy on the show.

As for stand up - I prefer Bill Cosby over Pryor, Murphy, or anybody else. Even though he does sit down comedy.

I also think Robert Townsend deserves much more attention than he's gotten. Perhaps that's his choice.

The reason I don't really see many "black movies" is the advertising makes me feel that they're just not for me. Like I'm not the audience they want. /shrug

I had to +1 this one, you know Robert Townsend, I miss Partners in Crimedancin5hr.gif

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I use my own skintone as the delimiter between dark and very dark. It's probably bullsh1t but extremely convenient.

Thanks for making me look up the word delimiter. I feel more smarter now.

I forgot, Sinbad is another great. No vulgarity, and he's funny.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I love any comedian who can be funny without being vulgar. I also prefer comedians whose humor is not mean-spirited; more jokes about themselves than others. That eliminates most comedians. But Sinbad and Cosby are two of the best. Right now, the only comedian I really like is Brian Regan but I don't think I'm allowed to mention him in this thread since he's white. Sorry

White people can be funny as well. My personal favorite is Richard Jeni,(rest in peace). George Carlin(rest in peace), any of the blue collar guys is funny to me. Joe Rogan is also pretty funny.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

This is how I feel, too. Example: The Death at a Funeral remake. I was actually excited to see that, since the original was really funny, but the marketing for that film was AWFUL. It didn't look funny at all, and gave away the entire plot (for those who hadn't seen the original).

Most of the other "majority black cast" movies I've seen ads for honestly make them look like made-for-TV movies or bad rom-coms.

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015