mota bhai

Why White People Won't See "Black Movies"

206 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm coming off the wrong way. I apologize if I offended anyone. That big list of folks are great actors in their own right, but don't get the same recognition because they aren't those 3. If you can't get them, there are plenty others that can deliver the goods.

Not offended, I just don't know why you'd dismiss a group of people like that.

There are plenty of black actors and actresses getting well deserved recognition that are not those 3. I'm not sure what would be good enough for you.

Yes because Wil Smith, Denzel, and Morgan always portray the exact same evil villain. WTH?

They have all played so many diffrent types of positive characters.

Maybe you don't like them because they don't beat the racism drum all the time like Oprah.

And what roles have they won for playing positive figures? Will Smith killed it in Ali and the Pursuit of Happyness, yet no Oscar. Denzel should have won for Malcolm X, The Hurricane, Remembering the Titans, yet he won for Training Day. Same thing goes for Morgan Freeman.

I would like to see them get recognized for playing positive figures, not drug deal cops, pimps, crack heads, and thugs.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They are in the SEC, but should be demoted to the ACC.

There

You're just pissed because the Cats have won more men's basketball SEC titles than the rest of the SEC combined. Bend over SEC, its basketball season.

So unless they are winning an Oscar, they are not being recognized?

And when they DO win an Oscar and get recognized, they should be getting recognized for other things? Because racism?

Marvin, I'm having trouble following you here.

Edited by Penny Lane

Sorry for the use of language, it pisses me off that there are tons of black actors deserve recognition, yet are passed over because they aren't the 3 above mention.

Maybe I'm coming off the wrong way. I apologize if I offended anyone. That big list of folks are great actors in their own right, but don't get the same recognition because they aren't those 3. If you can't get them, there are plenty others that can deliver the goods.

and also Tons of great white Actors that are also un-heard of .Your point?

Jamie Foxx was on your list of not recognized.

You know he won an Oscar right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So unless they are winning an Oscar, they are not being recognized?

Unless they're winning an Oscar for the reason he thinks they should be winning an Oscar, they are not recognized.

You're just pissed because the Cats have won more men's basketball SEC titles than the rest of the SEC combined. Bend over SEC, its basketball season.

I never heard of basketball

Not offended, I just don't know why you'd dismiss a group of people like that.

There are plenty of black actors and actresses getting well deserved recognition that are not those 3. I'm not sure what would be good enough for you.

I'll tell you what's good enough for me, give Whoopi Goldberg an Oscar for the Color Purple, and we'll call it even.dancin5hr.gif

Just kidding. I guess I got too high on my soapbox for a second.

Also, SLJ needs one for Pulp Fiction. Just saying.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

and also Tons of great white Actors that are also un-heard of .Your point?

Jamie Foxx was on your list of not recognized.

You know he won an Oscar right?

You need to go back and read my post, I said at least he won for Ray.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I'll tell you what's good enough for me, give Whoopi Goldberg an Oscar for the Color Purple, and we'll call it even.dancin5hr.gif

Whoopi Goldberg has won countless awards, including an Oscar. Do you think she isn't recognized because she didn't get one for Color Purple?

And what roles have they won for playing positive figures? Will Smith killed it in Ali and the Pursuit of Happyness, yet no Oscar. Denzel should have won for Malcolm X, The Hurricane, Remembering the Titans, yet he won for Training Day. Same thing goes for Morgan Freeman.

I would like to see them get recognized for playing positive figures, not drug deal cops, pimps, crack heads, and thugs.

I think they should have several separate Oscar Awards every year.

Best Black in a leading role every year..How about that

This is exactly why so many people tune out all the "everything is Racist" hyperbole. It's like crying wolf. When something really racist does happen it's ignored.

I agree that Denzel should have won for Malcolm X; but in order for Will Smith to win for Ali that means Denzel didn't win for Training Day. BTW, the nominees that year are amazing; Denzel for Training Day, Will for Ali, Russel Crow in a Beautiful Mind, Sean Penn for I Am Sam. I don't see the complaint with winning that year.

Also, if anybody should be pissed, it is Anthony Hopkins. Considered one of the greatest actors ever and he wins for being a cannibal.