bryman

filed i-130 - do I have to wait?

30 posts in this topic

Hi Bryman,

They won't reject you... just send you an RFE. Then you just send in the necessary things.

Here's a link to the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Yes you are being harsh on him. He's new and maybe didn't know about this. It's not like the official USCIS website spells it all out.

No, he won't lose the $420. They'll just ask him to send in the missing stuff by way of an RFE.

Not necessarily. There have been people on the board who have been denied and have had to refile. Presuming what the USCIS will or won't do isn't the best way to give advice. Had it been some relationship evidence, maybe just an RFE, but because they're missing all the documentation and forms as required by the I-130 instructions, a denial is plausible.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm sorry if I come across as harsh... but why did you not even look into this before sending everything off? It's so easy to find out what to do and now you've probably wasted $420 and a lot of months before they even get back to you to deny it.

There is no need to judge the OP, I am sure they feel bad enough without you rubbing salt on the wound. Not everyone is aware of this site and the guidelines provided here. I didn't find this site until after I received our noa2. I happened to pay for a consult with an attorney before we started the process( we didn't use him), had I not had that consult I would have had no idea what was required to send with the petition. He/she asked for guidance and advice, I am sure if the OP was aware of what was needed to be sent he wouldn't be asking in the first place. The USCIS site is long and confusing.

I agree that this site is an amazing resource, with easy to follow guides and example forms. However, filing the I-130 without all the required documents is just careless. It doesn't matter if you didn't know about this site until after the fact. The point is, the instructions for the I-130 (avaliable from http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130instr.pdf ) tell you what you need to include.

To the OP, just sit and wait. At best you will get an RFE, at worst you will get a denial and will have to refile.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Oh gosh. This happened to me when we applied for our k-1 visa. I messed up and didn't send evidence, they sent us an noa-1 then waited 7+ months to send us a denial notice. No RFE, nothing. It was tragic. Hopefully they will send you an RFE for the info, but call them as frequently as you can until you know what to do..

Good luck.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

And to all of you being rude to the OP, may I remind you that not all of us find this lovely resource before we begin our journey. Your judgement is not appreciated.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hopefully the OP gets a RFE but with that much evidence missing I've read about denials. That would be a huge shame especially considering how long CR1's are taking at present. If this happened to me I'd consider cancelling and refiling to mitigate against this but I'd certainly want a lot of advice to weigh up the chances before doing so. It's easy to make mistakes... luckily my wife noticed that I'd put my date of birth on my G325a as March 2013 before we sent it!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

I just figured, you're filing incredibly important legal documents without the aid of a lawyer, surely you would look up all the resources you could before sending everything off. It's not hard to find out what to do beforehand.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

I agree that the USCIS website is incredibly unhelpful;

For your petition to be accepted, you must:

- Properly sign the form. As the petitioner, you must sign Part E.

- Submit the correct filing fee of $420.

- Complete the entire form. You must complete Part A. You must provide your name, complete address, marital status, and country of birth in Part B; and the beneficiarys name, complete address, marital status, and country of birth in Part C.

I wonder if they want to hand out RFEs.. Edited by Yang-Ja

I agree that the USCIS website is incredibly unhelpful;

I wonder if they want to hand out RFEs..

USCIS has instructions hosted on their website detailing exactly what needs to be included. http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi guys, I'm new here. I (US citizen) married my wife (Japanese national) in August, and I filed the i-130 and received a 797C, notice of action. It is just the receipt however.

I'm wondering if I can file the things I need for the CR-1 now? Or do I have to wait until I get an approval? Please advise - thank you!

Bryman one thing I would strongly suggest and I have read some doing this successfully is to call USCIS and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain to them your error and how you can send the missing documents to them NOWish because you have heard its a 12 to 16 month wait and you would hate to wait that long only to get a RFE or denial. More than likely they will tell you to send in with coverletter.

Give it a shot report back.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Bryman one thing I would strongly suggest and I have read some doing this successfully is to call USCIS and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain to them your error and how you can send the missing documents to them NOWish because you have heard its a 12 to 16 month wait and you would hate to wait that long only to get a RFE or denial. More than likely they will tell you to send in with coverletter.

Give it a shot report back.

Good advice.

I should add, when you call the USCIS, the first person to answer the phone will be a script bot contractor, reading off a screen. This person has no special knowledge of the immigration system or its laws. Ask for a tier 2 human - Leave out "human."

Edited by Yang-Ja

Hi guys, I'm new here. I (US citizen) married my wife (Japanese national) in August, and I filed the i-130 and received a 797C, notice of action. It is just the receipt however.

I'm wondering if I can file the things I need for the CR-1 now? Or do I have to wait until I get an approval? Please advise - thank you!

Wait.

Good advice.

I should add, when you call the USCIS, the first person to answer the phone will be a script bot contractor, reading off a screen. This person has no special knowledge of the immigration system or its laws. Ask for a tier 2 human - Leave out "human."

Agreed.

Also, it can't hurt to go ahead and send all the evidence with a cover letter plastered in your case number. The worst thing that will happen is that they will send you a denial. It's worth the effort.

Well, from my point of view, they won't give you a RFE because its not extra documentation they need, it's one of the needed documents you did not send.

Overall, try calling and emailing USCIS and telling them your situation before its too late, they might still let you send it in with a note or something.

July 28 2011- Married :dancing:

April 1 2013- Sent I-130

April 2 2013- NOA1

Nov 14 2013-Transferred to NSC

Nov 21- File touched

Jan 10, 2014- Approved! (NOA2)

Jan 13, 2014- Shipped out to NVC

Jan 27, 2014- Received by NVC

March 6,2014- Received Case Number and requested Case Number Change

March 9, 2014 -Sent in DS-261

March 10,2014 - Paid AOS Fee

March 22, 2014 - Sent in AOS Package

March 25,2014 - Paid IV Fee

March 26, 2014 - AOS Package picked up by a B.Standish

March 28, 2014 - IV fee shown as PAid

March 31, 2014 - Send corrections to AOS Package

April 1, 2014 - Corrected Aos Package received and signed by N Visa Center

April 5, 2014 - Case number changed finally

April 11, 2014- Got checklist for AOS

April 17, 2014- Submitted DS-260

April 18, 2014- Sent in IV package and AOS checklist

May 14, 2014- IV Checklist

May 16, 2014- Sent in IV Checklist

May 23, 2014- IV Checklist received

June 25, 2014- Case Complete

July 2, 2014- Receive CC email

July 11, 2014- Interview email received

July 21, 2014- Medical Done

Aug 26, 2014- Interview

Case in AP :ranting::ranting:

Oct 23, turned in needed documents

Case Updated- July 22, 30, Aug 5, Nov 2, Nov 4, Nov 8, Nov 15+16 (2015)

Nov 16-told to go to Embassy

Update Nov 29 + 30

Nov 29 - Gave Refusal Sheet :cry:

Informed that Case is being sent back to USCIS with intent to revoke :ranting::ranting::ranting:

Jan 12-13, 216 Case Date Update on CEAC

Feb 12,2016-Update on USCIS, case under review

Oct 14, 2016 NOIR sent out, received OCT 18, 2016

Dream-dj.png

There is no need to judge the OP, I am sure they feel bad enough without you rubbing salt on the wound. Not everyone is aware of this site and the guidelines provided here. I didn't find this site until after I received our noa2. I happened to pay for a consult with an attorney before we started the process( we didn't use him), had I not had that consult I would have had no idea what was required to send with the petition. He/she asked for guidance and advice, I am sure if the OP was aware of what was needed to be sent he wouldn't be asking in the first place. The USCIS site is long and confusing.

man you are exactly right with what you said here. I hired an immigration lawyer to help

me because when I started the CR1 process I had no idea where to start the process.

I have heard many people on here say an immigration lawyer was a waste of time but

for me it was the best thing I had ever done although knowing what I know now I could

do it myself. I felt terrible for the guy when he said he only turned in the I-130 and that

was all. That's why earlier on this thread I left him a list of things he was supposed to turn

in. If I hadn't had my immigration lawyer I would have had no idea what forms to fill out or

what all needed to be turned in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.