Leo7777

Why the Vitriol toward those who follow K-1 procedures.

60 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Leon & Mylen your signature almost made me smack my screen!! rofl.gif

Ok Off-Topic2.gif

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

The thing with the current climate of I-130 frustration is that it is based mostly on misinformation and blaming. I do have empathy for March filers who are not yet approved. It looks like they will wait 8 months which is longer than normal. That sucks, but at least, they are almost there.

But many others who just filed don't understand immigration. It is frustrating that the USCIS site has a date in 2012, but it's not true. And the cry "there is no end in sight!"from very new petitioners isn't true either. They probably won't wait very long. The wait is not doomed to be compounded on top of eachother, which is something I don't think people understand. One of these days, I-130s are going to pick up speed and they will approve a ton in a short span of time. When the I-129Fs were at 7-8 months, USCIS picked up and approved around 4 months worth in a week or two. The same will happen to I-130s, and I expect soon. New filers will not have to wait years for a NOA2.

It's just chance, it does suck, but blaming others, or trying to say you are better and worth more because you are married, and many other nasty comments have been coming out of certain poster's mouths, are just gross.

Spot on as usual Harpa.

I still think the op has his designations mixed up as far as who is giving who a hard time. But either way we all have the same goal in mind and that's to be with the people we love. Arguing and bickering amongst ourselves over who is more worthy of a visa is nothing but counterproductive.

But many others who just filed don't understand immigration. It is frustrating that the USCIS site has a date in 2012, but it's not true. And the cry "there is no end in sight!"from very new petitioners isn't true either. They probably won't wait very long. The wait is not doomed to be compounded on top of eachother, which is something I don't think people understand. One of these days, I-130s are going to pick up speed and they will approve a ton in a short span of time. When the I-129Fs were at 7-8 months, USCIS picked up and approved around 4 months worth in a week or two. The same will happen to I-130s, and I expect soon. New filers will not have to wait years for a NOA2.

How many months did it take for USCIS to begin to clear the backlog of I-129Fs, from the time the delay started ballooning to the time it started sharply decreasing? Please educate me.

Married in Edinburgh, Scotland: 07-06-2013

I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox: 09-04-2013

NOA1 from the National Benefits Center: 09-05-2013

I-130 Package Transferred to California Service Center: 02-25-2014

NOA2: 03-05-2014

NVC Received: 03-17-2014

Case # and IIN Assigned: 04-18-2014

DS-261 Generated and Completed: 04-26-2014

AOS Fee Invoiced and Paid: 04-29-2014

IV Fee Invoiced and Paid: 05-01-2014

AOS Fee Shows as Paid: 05-01-2014

IV Fee Shows as Paid: 05-05-2014

AOS and IV Packages Sent via UPS: 05-08-2014

AOS and IV Packages Received: 05-12-2014

AOS and IV Packages Input Into System: 05-14-2014

DS-260 Completed: 05-16-2014

Case Complete: 06-11-2014

Medical Exam: 07-08-2014

Interview in Warsaw, Poland: 08-28-2014 @ 8:30AM - APPROVED!

Visa Package Received: 09-01-2014

POE at Chicago O'Hare International Airport: 09-23-2014

I-751 Package Received: 07-11-2016

NOA1: 07-16-2016

I-751 Biometrics Apointment: 08-01-2016

ROC Approval (during citizenship interview): 12-20-2017

10-Year Green Card Received: N/A due to approved N-400

N-400 Filed Online: 08-28-2017

N-400 NOA1 Date: 08-29-2017

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 09-22-2017

Status Changed to Interview Scheduled: 09-22-2017

Status Change to Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed: 11-15-2017

N-400 Interview: 12-20-2017 - APPROVED!

Oath of Allegiance Scheduled: 12-29-2017

Oath of Allegiance: 01-18-2018 

I think what it equates to at the end of the day is that we are all going through the same anxiety, stress and worry!!!! Some more than others.

Basically this. It's easy to be annoyed with other's joy when you are so obsessed with your own unhappiness.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

To OP, do it the right way and go back to own Country? How is THAT the ONLY RIGHT way? If adjusting status from within US, was the WRONG way, it wouldn't be available... you kinda have it backwards, it's concurrent filers who get crapped on the most around here... threats of frauding the system etc without even knowing the story behind the adjustment *steps off my soapbox*

2008 Met on FB through mutual friends (platonic)
05/2012 Decided to "give it a try" after some mutual flirtations
07/2012 Met in person
08/06/2013 Proposed
21/06/2013 Married
10/09/2013 Sent I-130/I-485
19/09/2013 Cheques Cashed
23/09/2013 Hard copy NOA1
21/10/2013 Biometrics Appt Lawrence MA

21/10/2013 RFE for I-864 only, send tax transcripts and a bunch of other redundant info due to missing tax forms..ugh...

29/10/2013 Send in all required RFE Documents (hold up waiting for IRS transcripts)

31/10/2013 Online status changed to RFE response review

12/12/2013 Status changed to Testing and Interview and EAD sent out 10th, AP approved the 5th FINALLY!!!!!

14/12/2013 EAD/AP Combo received in mail smile.png

18/12/2013 Online Interview date of January 23/2014, instructions sent in mail.

23/01/2014 APPROVED...Green Card being sent in mail, no stamp in passport

29/01/2014 Received Welcome Letter

30/01/2014 Green Card Received babayyyyy!!

01/02/2014 Returned Green Card...Mistake on dates

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Well explain this then:

When I was grilled by an immigration officer coming in to see my girlfriend, and I told him we had no plan to marry and adjust, THAT WENT AGAINST ME. That was what set off all the alarm bells. He just didn't want me coming in on a tourist visa and overstaying without adjusting it. Then when I backed down and said "okay, we'll marry and adjust", he called my girlfriend to ask if she had any plans to marry me (which she couldn't confirm). He would have been perfectly happy had I told him we were going to marry and then she'd confirmed that on the phone. All he wanted to know was that our relationship was legitimate, that we planned to marry and pursue the correct visa, and that I wasn't working illegally on a tourist visa. Had I said we planned to marry (on the tourist visa) and I had proved that via a phone call from my girlfriend, he was prepared to let me through no problems.

You all have this "intent" issue wrong. It's the intent to come in on a tourist visa and ACTIVELY LOOK FOR A WIFE to abuse the system.

Let me remind you of what you posted in a thread you, yourself created.. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/465883-my-story-should-i-marry-while-in-the-usa/

Well it took me 2 hours to convince him that, and he only let me in after stipulating that I leave in Dec and pursue a fiance visa. On the other hand, my passport is stamped until January, and I doubt what he said is set in stone anywhere. It gives me hope to hear people say I can AOS. Thanks.

You are now saying that the only reason the CBP officer let you in was because you promised to marry your girlfriend??!!

The "intent" as you mentioned before is not for a "sham marriage" but the "intent to migrate".

Don't change the facts to suit your own situation, it is misguiding to others.

Here is the official statement of the US Customs and Border Protection.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/study_exchange/difference_visa_adrecord.xml

Visa Free Travel

U.S. policy permits citizens of certain countries as identified below to travel to the United States without a visa. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) permits nationals from designated countries to apply for admission to the United States for 90 days or less as nonimmigrant visitors for business or pleasure without first obtaining a U.S. nonimmigrant visa.

At the time of application for admission, a VWP applicant must:

• Be in possession of a round-trip ticket that will transport the individual out of the United States to any other foreign port or place as long as the trip does not terminate in contiguous territory or an ; except that the round trip ticket may transport the traveler to contiguous territory or an , if the traveler is a resident of the country of destination or if arriving at a land border, provide evidence of financial solvency and a domicile abroad to which the traveler intends to return;
  • Be arriving on designated carrier that is signatory to a Visa Waiver Program Agreement, if applicable;
  • Have a machine-readable passport valid for 6 months beyond the period of intended stay, or essentially 9 months (90 days + 6 months). The Department of State's 6-month list extending the validity of certain foreign passports can be found on the Department of State Website. ( Countries with Agreements with the United States to Extend Passport Validity for an Additional Six Months ) (A traveler with an expired passport is ineligible for VWP admission); and,
  • Complete an Arrival/Departure Form I-94W. Travelers arriving at a land border will be required to pay the required Form I-94W processing fee.

In addition, VWP visitors may not file an application to change status to an immigrant or another nonimmigrant classification or extend their stay beyond the 90-day timeframe. VWP applicants waive their right to proceedings before an Immigration Judge, unless they make an asylum application.

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just to clarify my original intent a little, and update to include some learning. And yes, I am still learning

As I understand it, there are basically three groups here doing the marriage to non-USA citizens bit.

K-1 Filing for partner to be allowed to enter USA and marriage within 90 days.

IR-1 / CR-1 Marriage occurs outside USA and then file for partner to be allowed to enter USA.

Marry within USA to someone who is on a visitors or student visa (or H type, etc.) and then file for AOS.

My main point was that those in the 3rd category have a HUGE advantage over the first two categories . . . they are with their loved ones during the entire process, regardless of how long the process takes.

It is my contention and feeling that those in the 3rd category should give the other two categories a HUGE amount of slack in their responses . . . even when those in the first two categories say hurtful things toward them.

Everyone is waiting for various time periods. But some are waiting with warm bodies in their beds.

Note: I am not aware of the bad feelings between K-1 and IR-1/CR-1 folks, and my thread was not intended to address that issue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

It is my contention and feeling that those in the 3rd category should give the other two categories a HUGE amount of slack in their responses . . . even when those in the first two categories say hurtful things toward them.

Ok Dr. Phil. laughing.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It's hard to show empathy when the choice of visa means you are open to attacks, relationship is attacked as lesser because the marriage will happen after the visa. Empathy posts shot down because how can your wait for your K1 give you any idea about spousal waits. Posts about trying to do petitions or get the word out attacked because the poster just filed and hasn't suffered the wait so who are they to be outraged at the potential wait? Just because we haven't been through the wait doesn't mean we have no idea what it's like. I'm sure we understand more than a random person who has never dealt with the immigration system or been forced to be apart because of any wait. My heart hurts seeing the wait times for spousal visas and I would love to do what I can to help. The problem is my empathy will be attacked because my wait was only 5 months and I filed K1, my help is unwanted because I didn't do spousal or wait +1 years, and my relationship will be insulted because I'm not yet married.

Well if you aren't happy about the responses that your empathy is getting then you will have to stop posting in CR1 threads I'm afraid. I'm sure that like me most of the posters appreciate the empathy and useful ideas some people may have but there are obviously a minority who respond badly, just as there are some K1 filers who are trying to get a reaction. Don't take the "attacks" so seriously, it's an internet forum not the western front!

Edited by Hotter Otter

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

I am relatively new here, but have noted the extreme vitriol directed toward those who are (or have) following the time consuming and lengthy process of the Fiance visa route.

These people are under the tremendous stress and heartbreak of being away from their loved ones during the process.

These persons see others who marry their loved ones while in USA on Student or Tourist visas.

Those following the K-1 route note that those who marry the students and tourists get to spend the AOS process IN THE COMPANY OF THEIR LOVED ONES, while they must be content with emails, phone calls, Skype and a possible expensive trip.

Surely the Student and Tourist visa marriages must understand the extreme asymptotic treatment that the K-1 folks are being subjected to compared to their own treatment.

And yet, when the K-1 folks advise the Student and Tourist marriages to return back home and do it the proper way . . . the Student and Tourist folks become enraged when it is suggested they undertake something as difficult and heart breaking as the K-1 folks are going through.

Sure, the Student and Tourist folks fall back on the idea that they had no 'prior intent.'

But we all know this is a load of hoooeeey in a percentage (neither I nor anyone else knows the percentage) of the cases.

What it seems to boil down to is this:

Those who can easily get tourist visa to come to USA, or who come from countries not needing a tourist visa; they take the tourist visa route to come to USA to marry their loved ones, and live together with their loved one while going through the AOS process.

Those who are in countries where it is difficult to get tourist visa to come to USA are forced to follow the K-1 route.

So is it asking too much that the privileged Tourist or Waiver folks who did, in fact, have prior intent show a HUGE amount of empathy for their K-1 brethern?

And isn't the empathy called for even from those folks who truly had no prior intent?

Sure, those with prior intent aren't going to admit that here . . . but can't the righteous indignation be toned down a bit?

Just asking.

Amen!!

Um... no.

No one on VJ 'deserves slack' for saying hurtful things about anyone else, their loved ones, their relationships. People in your third category made the choice to pursue their visa in the method that they have through free will, just the way everyone else has done. If some feel those people are 'luckier', made better choices (that just HAVE to be dodgy) , have less of a genuine relationship,or are being preferentially treated, then they need to do a little growing up. Life ain't fair, and neither is the playing field.

NO visa class on VJ should be labeled a second class group of posters, who have to forgive incredibly rude ####### tossed at them, tug their forelocks, and slink away onto the sidelines for having the temerity in getting a faster approval. Post and say YAY!, but only if it's a yay and you apologize first for having the nerve to do that in a K1 forum.

As far as 'waiting with warm bodies in their beds' I sure hope your spouse means a lot more to you than that. And understand, K1's have already done their waiting, and some of it for a lot longer than recent trends indicate.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I HATE that people on tourist visas are allowed to adjust, when intent is clear in 99% of the cases. Student visas are different.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

I HATE that people on tourist visas are allowed to adjust, when intent is clear in 99% of the cases. Student visas are different.

That figure is ridiculously high. Source is?

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.