Soul Froosh

My Story - should I marry while in the USA?

41 posts in this topic

Thanks mate!

Just the one lawyer I mentioned above, which was free local advice through a charity.

I would like more professional opinions, but I think the only legal advice I'll get is to go home and do K-1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Many lawyers have free consultations... Instead of speculating, do a few consultations and see what you find out... I have a suspicion many will suggest Marry and AOS...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Timeline

what i do not really get is that they asked you why you were getting back there after a break of 6 weeks??

why the immigration was so picky if you respected the delay of stay there?

from what i've heard about getting married (cause i wonder my self which one is the best, getting married or just find a sponsor or go into studies so i can wait for getting married with my boyfriend) is that B&G is right ! his 3 solutions are what happens right now, so just follow your intuition and see what's the best according to your situation in the UK first (things sold out or resolved before a movins) and what 's the best for the two you U

best wishes

Yea, it was annoying. If I wanted to break my visa waiver rules (90 day) I could have done that in my initial visit in the summer. I came home respecting the limitations of the visa waiver, and also because I have a life in the UK and also kids. Their main concern was "how are you supporting yourself for all these trips?"...I came through POE carrying a guitar case, so I guess it did look suspicious - like I was gigging and supporting myself in the US.

I got really nervous with the guard and could barely talk. I'm thankful he let me through.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

You should leave in December becuase you stipulated (agreed to) that your would leave by December as a condition for entering. If it weren't for that stipulation, I would say marry and stay here and adjust status. But you already stipulated to leaving, so there may be consequences later for not following through with your stipulation, which I am sure is in writing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Returning and waiting for the K1 is by far the safest solution, but admittedly not the fastest. UK petitons might go a bit faster since there is far less likelihood of admin processing.

Yes, I don't think we had a single day of AP. Results may vary, of course, but with UK being low fraud it's more or less a waltz through.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

AP? Lots of terms and abbreviations thrown round the forums and it's hard to keep up!

Administrative Processing. It's before the visa is actually issued where they do additional background checks and such on the beneficiary. It goes quickly in low fraud/risk countries, but can last for months or years in others.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Just to update: I got this opinion from a lawyer locally who is positive I can AOS. I think I'll be taking this route.

"Based on what you have told us, you certainly can adjust (get your green card) here in the U.S. We will have to prove that you didn’t form the intention to marry (although you may have been talking about marriage) until after you arrived in the U.S. It is perfectly legitimate to say that you had discussed marriage but had no firm plans; it was only after you realized that you would have difficulty seeing one another that you decided to go ahead and get married. There are various types of documentation that you can use to establish when you decided to get married, including statements from people who know both of you and know that you didn’t actually decide to get married until after you entered the U.S. The good news is that you were truthful with CBP when you entered the U.S. That is very helpful."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We got there in the end.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.