Saylin

NVC Filers - November 2013

879 posts in this topic

If the updated instructions no longer having that information, it isn't fair for the NVC to send checklists because someone didn't put "N/A or none".

I expressed this to the NVC phone reps multiple times. How can they send a checklist for something they don't tell you to do in the official written instructions? Otherwise, where does it end? Every time the NVC gets backlogged they could just start sending out erroneous checklists again like they did last month. I truly believe there was an intentional effort in September to create more processing time because of the DS-230/DS-260 transition and the subsequent problems. Quite a few people got caught up in that transition and have experienced unnecessary processing time due to invalid checklists.

Unfortunately, they can do whatever they want (up to a point). Remember, you're both asking USCIS and NVC to give you something (end game: a visa), so you need to go through whatever they throw at you if you want that. Yes, the process can be easier/more fair, but it's not. And since issuing a visa to spouses/family members isn't a right, it's a privilege, then you have to unfortunately put up with it all. I'd suggest just sending in the checklist response and put this behind you.

Unfortunately, they can do whatever they want (up to a point). Remember, you're both asking USCIS and NVC to give you something (end game: a visa), so you need to go through whatever they throw at you if you want that. Yes, the process can be easier/more fair, but it's not. And since issuing a visa to spouses/family members isn't a right, it's a privilege, then you have to unfortunately put up with it all. I'd suggest just sending in the checklist response and put this behind you.

I've sent everything back and somewhat put it behind me but it still bothers me that this kind of thing happens.

The USCIC and the NVC are mandated by U.S. law to provide this service to U.S. citizens. It isn't optional for them and it is actually a "right" to which you, me and everyone else on here are entitled to - they are not extending a privilege to us. If you apply for the Visa for your immediate relative and you meet the guidelines for approval, then they are absolutely obligated to provide you that Visa for your immediate relatives. Their only authority is to exam your case and determine if you meet the approval requirements. Issuing a Visa to other Visa categories, not involving the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, is where the discretionary "privilege" comes into play. A person who is not a citizen of the U.S. and who is not being petitioned as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen certainly doesn't have a "right" to a Visa, but I believe that if they are willing to contribute to our country, they should be extended that privilege and welcomed. Regardless, we as U.S. citizens are not being extended a "privilege", the USCIS and the NVC are mandated by Federal Law to provide us this service - which makes it a "right" and not a discretionary privilege.

The process is broken and failing. I will absolutely go through everything they throw at me, but I won't sit back and allow them to make mistake after mistake and negatively impact my life and others like me. Even if I get finished with this process in the next few weeks, I will continue applying pressure to right a wrong, if only because it helps someone coming behind me. The USCIS and the NVC are accountable to U.S. taxpayers. We can't forget that fact. They are also accountable to the Legislative Branch of our government - Senate and House. They know this fact too and that is why my case "magically" starting moving once my U.S. Senator got involved.

Listen, I'm not an unreasonable person. I realize that every process, whether within the government or private sector, has the potential for errors to be made and problems to be created. There will always be the extraordinary examples of things that went wrong and likewise there will be examples of a perfectly smooth experience. Mistakes are mistakes. They happen and we all make them but there is a huge difference between someone at some website messing up your order and someone at the NVC failing to properly review your documents, sending you a checklist, and then telling you that you need to wait another 6 weeks for someone to look at it again. That isn't acceptable to me, it wasn't acceptable to my U.S. Senator, it wasn't acceptable to the NVC supervisor who apologized and had my documents immediately reviewed again, and it shouldn't be acceptable to you.

Long story short, if anyone is reading this and you are filling out the I-864EZ, make sure you put "N/A or none" in any blank sections. It isn't anywhere in the written instructions for the I-864EZ, but thankfully we have sites like this to help us out and reduce delays. The thing is though, these sites wouldn't do anything for us without individuals like Saylin, who have helped out countless people on here for no reason other than goodwill. I know you get many "thank you" messages Saylin but I don't think you get enough gratitude from everyone in the community. Thank you for all the help you provide here!

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I've sent everything back and somewhat put it behind me but it still bothers me that this kind of thing happens.

The USCIC and the NVC are mandated by U.S. law to provide this service to U.S. citizens. It isn't optional for them and it is actually a "right" to which you, me and everyone else on here are entitled to - they are not extending a privilege to us. If you apply for the Visa for your immediate relative and you meet the guidelines for approval, then they are absolutely obligated to provide you that Visa for your immediate relatives. Their only authority is to exam your case and determine if you meet the approval requirements. Issuing a Visa to other Visa categories, not involving the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, is where the discretionary "privilege" comes into play. A person who is not a citizen of the U.S. and who is not being petitioned as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen certainly doesn't have a "right" to a Visa, but I believe that if they are willing to contribute to our country, they should be extended that privilege and welcomed. Regardless, we as U.S. citizens are not being extended a "privilege", the USCIS and the NVC are mandated by Federal Law to provide us this service - which makes it a "right" and not a discretionary privilege.

The process is broken and failing. I will absolutely go through everything they throw at me, but I won't sit back and allow them to make mistake after mistake and negatively impact my life and others like me. Even if I get finished with this process in the next few weeks, I will continue applying pressure to right a wrong, if only because it helps someone coming behind me. The USCIS and the NVC are accountable to U.S. taxpayers. We can't forget that fact. They are also accountable to the Legislative Branch of our government - Senate and House. They know this fact too and that is why my case "magically" starting moving once my U.S. Senator got involved.

Listen, I'm not an unreasonable person. I realize that every process, whether within the government or private sector, has the potential for errors to be made and problems to be created. There will always be the extraordinary examples of things that went wrong and likewise there will be examples of a perfectly smooth experience. Mistakes are mistakes. They happen and we all make them but there is a huge difference between someone at some website messing up your order and someone at the NVC failing to properly review your documents, sending you a checklist, and then telling you that you need to wait another 6 weeks for someone to look at it again. That isn't acceptable to me, it wasn't acceptable to my U.S. Senator, it wasn't acceptable to the NVC supervisor who apologized and had my documents immediately reviewed again, and it shouldn't be acceptable to you.

Long story short, if anyone is reading this and you are filling out the I-864EZ, make sure you put "N/A or none" in any blank sections. It isn't anywhere in the written instructions for the I-864EZ, but thankfully we have sites like this to help us out and reduce delays. The thing is though, these sites wouldn't do anything for us without individuals like Saylin, who have helped out countless people on here for no reason other than goodwill. I know you get many "thank you" messages Saylin but I don't think you get enough gratitude from everyone in the community. Thank you for all the help you provide here!

Hi there.

It seems there are quite a few of us post-September NVC filers who got a checklist for not putting 'N/A' on the I864EZ. That set us back 1.5 months of unnecessary waiting. But like Saylin says, immigration is a privilege to us (non-citizens) so we have to bear it.

I had told my wife (the petitioner) that "put N/A on blanks or we get checklist.". She's a smart woman, she reasoned that nowhere is it written to put N/A, on the contrary, there are explicit instructions to leave blank if answer is not applicable. I still told her, there are people on this internet board who have a lot of experience and they are saying put N/A or receive checklist. But obviously mine sounded like the weaker argument. But before she mailed it I did say "If we get a checklist and I have to wait 1.5 more months, I'm going to walk to Mt. Everest Base Camp" cause I'm a big fan of trekking while she hates it cause its basically 2-3 weeks of no connection (phone/internet). We did get a checklist, but now I still can't goto Base Camp. Sheesh.

Anyhow, I hope all of us get our case completes and interviews really soon! Hang in there.

PD - Jan 31st 2013

Local Field Office - Washington DC (Fairfax)

NOA2 - August 23 2013

======

NVC Received - 11th September

NVC Assigned - 17th September

DS261 Filled - 20th September

AOS generated - 20th September

AOS paid - 21st September

DS261 Rec'd - 23rd September

AOS Package Rec'd - 30th September

IV Generated - 7th October

IV Paid - 7th October

IV Package Rec'd - 18th October

Checklist For AOS - 29th October

Checklist Responded - 29th October

New AOS Package Rec'd - 30th October

=======

AOS Accepted -

CASE COMPLETE -

Interview -

POE -

owAmp5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Congo DR
Timeline

Hi there.

It seems there are quite a few of us post-September NVC filers who got a checklist for not putting 'N/A' on the I864EZ. That set us back 1.5 months of unnecessary waiting. But like Saylin says, immigration is a privilege to us (non-citizens) so we have to bear it.

I had told my wife (the petitioner) that "put N/A on blanks or we get checklist.". She's a smart woman, she reasoned that nowhere is it written to put N/A, on the contrary, there are explicit instructions to leave blank if answer is not applicable. I still told her, there are people on this internet board who have a lot of experience and they are saying put N/A or receive checklist. But obviously mine sounded like the weaker argument. But before she mailed it I did say "If we get a checklist and I have to wait 1.5 more months, I'm going to walk to Mt. Everest Base Camp" cause I'm a big fan of trekking while she hates it cause its basically 2-3 weeks of no connection (phone/internet). We did get a checklist, but now I still can't goto Base Camp. Sheesh.

Anyhow, I hope all of us get our case completes and interviews really soon! Hang in there.

Reading your comment really made me laugh because it sounds like a conversation that my husband and I would have!! :) I think we are equally stubborn!

Actually you do get an email from NVC letting you know that they have received your packages. Well that's for EP for sure, I don't know about the others.

Thanks Saylin & Sleepless_36.

I called yesterday and after much wait, the NVC rep told me she can not see our case in the system yet and that we must give them 30 days to review application. We received an automated reply after e-mailing the AOS & DS260 packages. So I guess we'll wait...

Married 01/11/2013

I-130 Filed: 01/25/2013

NOA-1: 01/29/2013

• 08/20/2013: Service Request Placed; Case transferred to NYC Field Office 06/11/13

• Congressman involved: 09/25/2013

• NOA-2: 09/27/2013

• NVC Received Case: 10/7/2013

• NVC Assigned Case #: 10/7/2013

• DS-261 Completed; OPT-IN E-mail Sent: 10/7/2013

• AOS (i864) Bill Paid: [$88] 10/09/2013

• IV Bill Paid: [$230] 10/27/2013

• AOS (i864) Package Sent [EP]: 10/30/2013

• DS-260 Completed & Supporting Documents Sent [EP]: 10/31/2013

• AOS (i864) Package Received by NVC: 11/13/2013

• DS-260 Package Received by NVC: 11/14/2013

• Checklisted: 11/27/2013

• Responded to checklists: 12/2/2013

• Case Completed at NVC: 12/30/2013

• Medical Exam in Toronto: 12/16/2013

• Interview in Montreal: 02/13/2014 (Approved)

• Visa in Hand: 02/19/2014

• POE in YYZ Terminal 1: 04/10/2014

• GC Received in Mail: 06/12/2014

--ROC--

I-751 Filed: 01/20/2016 (California Center)

I just receive a email with a checklist that says that we receive your DS260' please submit your civil documents. They have my civil document already, should I just ignore the email.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I just receive a email with a checklist that says that we receive your DS260' please submit your civil documents. They have my civil document already, should I just ignore the email.

I received the same email. When I called the NVC, they said that the letter was generated automatically when my I-864 was accepted and that I should ignore it.

Give them a call to be sure.

Timeline

I received the same email. When I called the NVC, they said that the letter was generated automatically when my I-864 was accepted and that I should ignore it.

Give them a call to be sure.

Here's the text from the last page of the checklist letter that I received. (I received it on Oct 11 and I got my case complete exactly 20 calendar days later.)

______CORRESPONDENCE INSTRUCTIONS:_________________________________

When responding to the National Visa Center, please include the bar code sheet that came with this

letter. Failure to include the bar code sheet may cause a delay in the processing of your case. The bar

code sheet should be placed on top of all documents being submitted for this case and mailed to the

address provided.

______1 - IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION PART 1:_______________________

The National Visa Center received your DS-260 form. We are waiting for the traveling applicant’s

supporting civil documents to be submitted to the NVC. Your online Immigrant Visa Application will be

reviewed upon receipt of your supporting documentation.

To view which documents the applicant must submit to the NVC, please go to:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html.

[A4S 10/11/2013] PRS2013******

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Like teach706 said, it's an automatically generated message. It assumes that the applicant hasn't sent any civil documents yet prior to getting the email checklist. Their automated messaging system isn't very adaptive. We got it too after we'd already sent the documents. In our case, we didn't call them.

Here's the text from the last page of the checklist letter that I received. (I received it on Oct 11 and I got my case complete exactly 20 calendar days later.)

When responding to the National Visa Center, please include the bar code sheet that came with this

letter. Failure to include the bar code sheet may cause a delay in the processing of your case. The bar

code sheet should be placed on top of all documents being submitted for this case and mailed to the

address provided.

The National Visa Center received your DS-260 form. We are waiting for the traveling applicants

supporting civil documents to be submitted to the NVC. Your online Immigrant Visa Application will be

Yes that's the same letter I got too! I called and they said to ignore it as well. Thanks!!

Timeline

Yes that's the same letter I got too! I called and they said to ignore it as well. Thanks!!

You're welcome, and hang in there! You're almost done smile.png

Just got off the phone with the NVC -- we have an interview date!!!! Dec 13 10am !!!!dancin5hr.gif

I had called earlier around 9 am and got connected to a grumpy robotic lady who was very evasive with my questions. She just kept repeating that my interview has not been scheduled and just sounded impatient and would not elaborate on her answers.

As I was totally frustrated with her attitude and general unwillingness to help, I decided to call again about an hour later. This time, I got connected with Kelley who I'm quite sure I had talked to before and who was always very patient and understanding. Before I could finish my question, she told me we were just scheduled for an interview!! Yayyyyy!!

So the moral of this story is to try calling NVC again and again (as Saylin had suggested before) until you get a satisfactory reply !!

Congratulations! I am glad you got answers. I think that's the same grumpy, rude woman I got last week. But, I'm glad your call back got you a better response. :)

Congrats! After reading your post, I called NVC and learned that our interview has been scheduled as well! good.gif It's on Dec 3.

Congrats!!! YAY! You will have it before Christmas! WOOOHOOO! :)

Jayjam...good points & I agree. I think it's important for our Senators and Representatives to be made aware and apply appropriate pressure. The wait times are ridiculous... in addition to even the wait times we sit on hold when we call. Totally agree with you 100%.

Also agree that Saylin has been a great help to me and many others. This site has salvaged my sanity through this process. Saylin in particular has been very helpful during this arduous stage of the process.

Glad you asked this....I'm trying to figure out what to expect. Still waiting for something after sending in my AOS and IV packages...

address provided.

The National Visa Center received your DS-260 form. We are waiting for the traveling applicant’s

Thanks also for posting...this helps me know what to look for!

Like teach706 said, it's an automatically generated message. It assumes that the applicant hasn't sent any civil documents yet prior to getting the email checklist. Their automated messaging system isn't very adaptive. We got it too after we'd already sent the documents. In our case, we didn't call them.

Thanks for the info.

I called and was told that my documents (IV and AOS) were received on the 4th and 8th, which isn't true...they both came one week before those dates (as in, Fed-Ex dropped them off one week prior.) Does anyone know what "received" means in NVC language? They want me to wait 30 more days to call back. Obviously, I won't. But, what's the likely timeframe for the docs to be reviewed based on what you all have been seeing/experiencing?

APPROVED 2/13/2014! dancin5hr.gif Day before heart.gif day. rose.gif

Congratulations! I am glad you got answers. I think that's the same grumpy, rude woman I got last week. But, I'm glad your call back got you a better response. :)

Congrats!!! YAY! You will have it before Christmas! WOOOHOOO! :)

Jayjam...good points & I agree. I think it's important for our Senators and Representatives to be made aware and apply appropriate pressure. The wait times are ridiculous... in addition to even the wait times we sit on hold when we call. Totally agree with you 100%.

Also agree that Saylin has been a great help to me and many others. This site has salvaged my sanity through this process. Saylin in particular has been very helpful during this arduous stage of the process.

Glad you asked this....I'm trying to figure out what to expect. Still waiting for something after sending in my AOS and IV packages...

Thanks also for posting...this helps me know what to look for!

Thanks for the info.

I called and was told that my documents (IV and AOS) were received on the 4th and 8th, which isn't true...they both came one week before those dates (as in, Fed-Ex dropped them off one week prior.) Does anyone know what "received" means in NVC language? They want me to wait 30 more days to call back. Obviously, I won't. But, what's the likely timeframe for the docs to be reviewed based on what you all have been seeing/experiencing?

It mean when someone actual input the documents in the system, not when it arrived at NVC.

Didn't realize it was actually a "right" in that sense. Although, unless they specify, there's probably no mandated time frame, so they can take as long as they wish. And as some people have speculated lately (since the Sept. 1 DS-260 policy change), NVC may be issuing checklists unnecessarily just to get more time. Whether this is true or not, who knows.

Besides that though, I agree that the entire immigration process is broken and is in severe need of fixing. I'll give NVC some points though as they are making the process easier in the sense that the DS-260 is now available to all (it was only introduced to a few select countries just about 3 years ago). And although EP is currently only available to a few countries, I'm sure sooner or later, it'll be available to all as well. But, this still isn't enough if they're going to take their sweet time with things. But, they do get thousands and thousands of packages every day. They need to find a way to automate things a lot better, as does USCIS. How soon that will be done, who knows. But, I just figured while I was going through the process, I wouldn't complain, and just get everything submitted and jump through whatever loops necessary. I figured there was just no point in arguing. But then again, my process was relatively smooth, with no checklists, unlike yours.

Anyways, hopefully you can finish up with NVC soon. And thanks for your kind words ^_^ I love to help people out, and get through this process as fast as possible.

Check the FAQ ;)

It mean when someone actual input the documents in the system, not when it arrived at NVC.

Oh that's good, then. Hopefully it means they're working on the packages....30 days...yikes! That takes us to mid-December. Ugh!

APPROVED 2/13/2014! dancin5hr.gif Day before heart.gif day. rose.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.