ladyt84

B2 Visa and getting a SS#?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Niger
Timeline

Hi-

I am writing on behalf of a friend, and my visa experience has only been through getting my husbands work visa switched over to a green card, so I am not really famillar with B2 visa's.

My friends son and his 2 children came from Syria on a B2 visa. They can stay for 6 months, then must return, but over all the visa is for 3 years. The boys are enrolled in public school, and the school sent home paperwork to get them health insurance, however, this says they all (the son and the 2 grandkids) needs Social Security numbers.

Can you get a social security number while on a B2 visa? So far the research I have done says no, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any helpful advice?? The grandparents are elderly, and only have medicare (which ever part is for hospital visits) and do not have full coverage. The Grandparents are US Citizens.

Thank you for any assistance you can give!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

On B2 tourist visa kids cannot go to school, that is not allowed.

They cannot get SSN either, I am surprised that school did let them enroll with B2 visa.

B2 is for tourist purpose, maximum they can stay is 6 months at a time and then need to return back home. 3 year visa means they can come to US anytime during that 3 year, cannot stay in US for 3 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

They are violating the terms of their visa. The children are not permitted to attend school. They cannot obtain social security numbers. They should not be applying for government paid health insurance. By enrolling the children in school they have endangered their visitor's visa. It is possible it will be cancelled.

Timeline

Thank you for letting me know. Like I said, I don't know anything about this type of Visa. I will let them know. I know they are working to get the Visa type changed now that they are here, but I don't know how often that is sucessful.

In order to be in legal status to attend school, the kids would need to change their status from B2 to F1.

This link may help explain it all to you.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1269.html

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Timeline

In order to be in legal status to attend school, the kids would need to change their status from B2 to F1.

This link may help explain it all to you.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1269.html

And, the F1 is not possible for a public elementary school. The only F1s for that level require attendance in private schools.

Hi-

I am writing on behalf of a friend, and my visa experience has only been through getting my husbands work visa switched over to a green card, so I am not really famillar with B2 visa's.

My friends son and his 2 children came from Syria on a B2 visa. They can stay for 6 months, then must return, but over all the visa is for 3 years. The boys are enrolled in public school, and the school sent home paperwork to get them health insurance, however, this says they all (the son and the 2 grandkids) needs Social Security numbers.

Can you get a social security number while on a B2 visa? So far the research I have done says no, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any helpful advice?? The grandparents are elderly, and only have medicare (which ever part is for hospital visits) and do not have full coverage. The Grandparents are US Citizens.

Thank you for any assistance you can give!!

To put this into perspective:

The B-2 is a tourist visa, and is meant for tourism purposes only.

Enrolling your kids into a US public school while on vacation is very illegal. This is why they're asking for the boys' social security numbers. A tourist in the US cannot get a social security number, as they are only in the US for vacation.

If they are currently attempting to change their status in the US, either through immediate relatives or through asylum, my suggestion is to pull them out of public school, or expect to reimburse the state for their educational expenses if they get asylum or family reunification approved.

This is why B-2 visas are notoriously difficult to get in some countries..

Edited by jaycali

Thank you for letting me know. Like I said, I don't know anything about this type of Visa. I will let them know. I know they are working to get the Visa type changed now that they are here, but I don't know how often that is sucessful.

On what basis?

The only two ways are through asylum or petition from an immediate relative. If the father's parents are US citizens, this may or may not work - Again, enrolling the kids in public elementary school while on vacation is a very big no no.

Timeline

I don't know on what basis. Like I said, I don't much about any of this, and they asked for help filling out some papers for health insurance. I know they are working with a lawyer, and that is all I know.

But I do know they aren't in public elementary school.

But thank you everyone for your insight.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My money is that they know exactly what they are doing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Well I will be taking this information and passing it along. Like I said, I am not involved in the intimate details of their situation, and I don't know what their lawyer has in the works. I would imagine some type of asylum because of the war or switching to a work visa as the father is a professional and could be gainfully employed here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A work visa needs a Sponsoring Employer and most likely a wait.

My money is on asylum.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The school should report them when they can't collect their money for their attending school , this should in turn cause their visitors visas to be revoked and then to recieive a lifetime ban for misusing their visas.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.