Talong

Problem with ex

53 posts in this topic

Hi evryone. I need advices to you especially who are on thesame boat with me.

My problem is regarding my ex. I got married to a US citizen. I got my greencard a year ago. My ex who is in the Philippines is giving me hard time after he found out that our kids are being petitioned by my US citizen. He said he is going to hold the kids and he said he wrote a letter to the immigration( don't know if it is the Philippine immigration or US immigration) of his complaints against me. He wanted me to get deported or when I go back home, he makes sure I would not be able to come back to US. Is it possible the immigration will entertain him? Anybody who could enlighten me as far as what they have known in the past or personal experiences? By the way my ex is trying to ask money from me. And he wanted to deny me with my kids.

I would appreciate it if you could share your insights on this matter. Thanks.

Presumably you will need either his consent or a court order from the Philippines in order to bring your children to the US.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably you will need either his consent or a court order from the Philippines in order to bring your children to the US.

That is the way it normally works.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Move to the Philippines forum, Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America - as this will also need Philippine specific custody related information~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

If your children are under the age of 9 - You DO NOT need consent from the ex to bring your children to The U.S. This is the Philippines and under Philippine Law the MOTHER has complete custody of the children and may do whatever she likes. You can ask for his blessing but other than that YOU DO NOT NEED PERMISSION. We and others I know have simply removed the children from the Philippines. You must (of course) have physical custody of them.

It's extremely easy !!

Edited by SoCalMark

journey.jpg

Yikes.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

as far as i know, if you are not married to your ex, then full custody will be given to you as the mother. There was a post about this before. He can't have a hold departure ordered against you, not unless you are a criminal or is accused of a serious crime. Goodluck with your kids.

Hi guys, thanks for the answers. I was married to him and filed divorce here. He can't move on and he keeps giving me hard time with the kids. He was even trying to extort money from me. He really though that people in the US are just picking money everywhere.

If your children are under the age of 9 - You DO NOT need consent from the ex to bring your children to The U.S. This is the Philippines and under Philippine Law the MOTHER has complete custody of the children and may do whatever she likes. You can ask for his blessing but other than that YOU DO NOT NEED PERMISSION. We and others I know have simply removed the children from the Philippines. You must (of course) have physical custody of them.

It's extremely easy !!

Parental authority and custody is exercised jointly unless husband and wife are separated (judicially or de facto) and are decreed custody over children by the court. The Court shall take into account all relevant considerations, especially the choice of the child over seven years of age, unless the parent chosen is unfit.

Hi guys, thanks for the answers. I was married to him and filed divorce here. He can't move on and he keeps giving me hard time with the kids. He was even trying to extort money from me. He really though that people in the US are just picking money everywhere.

Divorce is not recognized as a means of legally dissolving marriages between Filipino nationals even one legally recognized abroad. As far as the Philippine jurisdiction is concerned, you are still legally married. Unless, divorce is acquired after the Filipino spouse is naturalized, hence, no longer Filipino.

If you yourself are filing to petition your children to come to the US and they are subsequently approved and granted visas, and if it is by your children's own choice to come and live here with you-- your husband cannot stop them from coming here. There does not seem to be an item in the forms relevant to acquiring the other parent's consent when filing for petitions so you should be ok.

Sorry about your ex, you can't shake off that mentality over there that people living int he US are swimming in money. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Were you married to him before the children were born? If yes, he has rights over the kids because they are his legitimate children. Unless, you were granted sole custody by the Philippine court after your divorce/annulment.

He cannot have you deported though.

Where are the kids now?

Hi, i have tried to be civil on him but he is such a selfish guy who has a small mind. I got threats from him through messages and spreading issues about me Nd bragging that if I'll get back home to PHilippines, my gc will be cancelled and i will no longer can enter US. So i don't think to talk to him and being civil works. So i d ather go on my way. And vesides, my desires for the kids to come here is not just for my own sake but for my kids future as well. He should be broad minded but sad.

Parental authority and custody is exercised jointly unless husband and wife are separated (judicially or de facto) and are decreed custody over children by the court. The Court shall take into account all relevant considerations, especially the choice of the child over seven years of age, unless the parent chosen is unfit.

Divorce is not recognized as a means of legally dissolving marriages between Filipino nationals even one legally recognized abroad. As far as the Philippine jurisdiction is concerned, you are still legally married. Unless, divorce is acquired after the Filipino spouse is naturalized, hence, no longer Filipino.

If you yourself are filing to petition your children to come to the US and they are subsequently approved and granted visas, and if it is by your children's own choice to come and live here with you-- your husband cannot stop them from coming here. There does not seem to be an item in the forms relevant to acquiring the other parent's consent when filing for petitions so you should be ok.

Sorry about your ex, you can't shake off that mentality over there that people living int he US are swimming in money. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi, my US citizen husband petitions my kids since i am a temporary greencard yet and it is faster. Thank you for your reply and i appreciate it. I will keep vjourners posted once i get my kids here. Actually they already have interview schedule. Hopefully we will be able to exit PI with no problems.

Were you married to him before the children were born? If yes, he has rights over the kids because they are his legitimate children. Unless, you were granted sole custody by the Philippine court after your divorce/annulment. @@ yes, i was married to him . He is in PI. He always out of the country due to his job and his only means of living. He comes home after 7 to 1 yr contract.

He cannot have you deported though. @@@ he is bragging that i will be deported kr when i come home, my gc will be revoked. He told the oeople that he wrote a letter to the embassy of his complaints againsts me. He also said that

He will not allow my kids to co e here and he will hold their departure.

Where are the kids now?[/quote@@ the kids before i came here i left them with my mom's care. Then he took the other one and leave the kid to her sister's care. The other one is teenager and did not want to stay with the aunt.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.