misa

POE with K3 - just curious

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just curious about something. If someone has a K3 that needs to be activated at a POE, can they activate it at a local POE airport without actually having to travel?

For example, here in Toronto, there is a POE at the pre-clearance area of one of the Terminals. When I eventually get my K3, can I just go there and activate it without actually travelling at that point in time since the K3 is a multiple entry visa?

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

why would you want to do that?

married Dec '03 in US

Feb 04...... I 130 filed......................approved August 04

March 04... I 129F filed....................approved October 04

August 04...I 130 for children filed....approved September 04

Interview: Jan 19 2005 in Sydney

~~~~K3/K4 Visas granted~~~~~

Leave for New Hampshire 27 January 05

We are Home!!!!! :o)

AOS timeline....round 1

2/16/05 I-765 mailed to Chicago

5/24/05 EAD approved

7/11/05 Started work!!

AOS....round 2 (to finally finish things off)

10/25/06 NOA1 for AOS/EAD

11/16/06 Transferred to CSC

11/17/06 Biometrics appt

11/27/06 Touched "Case now pending at CSC"

1/12/07 EAD "touched"

1/16/07 EAD "touched"

1/17/07 EAD approved "Card production Ordered"

1/20/07 I 485 "touched"

1/22/07 EAD card received

6/13/07 Transferred back to Missouri....grrrrrrr

7/23/07 Interview date! FINALLY!

7/23/07 AOS APPROVED!!! :o) 10 yr Greencard I 551 stamp in passport.

7/28/07 Welcome letter received

7/28/07 Card production ordered.

8/1/07 Approval notice senT

8/3/07 Greencards received in mail!

~~~WE ARE DONE~~~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just curious about something. If someone has a K3 that needs to be activated at a POE, can they activate it at a local POE airport without actually having to travel?

For example, here in Toronto, there is a POE at the pre-clearance area of one of the Terminals. When I eventually get my K3, can I just go there and activate it without actually travelling at that point in time since the K3 is a multiple entry visa?

I do not know how exactly you would pull that off but in any situation, you cannot get to the pre-clearance area unless you have a ticket and boarding pass. So in order to do your idea, it would cost you some money.....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Why not just take a road trip to Niagara Falls NY and visit the American side, it would be much easier the POE does not need tob an airport, though I don't quite understand your question.

The Visa is valid for 2 years, you can plan your entry for any time during the validity period.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
I do not know how exactly you would pull that off but in any situation, you cannot get to the pre-clearance area unless you have a ticket and boarding pass. So in order to do your idea, it would cost you some money.....
Doh! I totally forgot about that... You'd think I'd remember from flying so damn much... It's just that I can get to the airport really easily from where I live but you're right about showing a boarding pass to get into pre-clearance.

Anyway, I was asking because I don't drive and I just wanted to activate it ahead of travelling to avoid delays when actually going on my next trip. I will be activating it before I actually move since when I do, I'll have my 3 cats and my dog with me and I'd rather not get held up at the border when I cross.

Sorry I'm tired and wasn't thinking too clearly. :whistle:

Edited by misa

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

No.. you can't just activiate it and go home... to activate the visa, you have to be admitted into the US...

If you want to get it done ahead of time either have a friend drive you to Queenston and cross over or rent a car and do it...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline
No.. you can't just activiate it and go home... to activate the visa, you have to be admitted into the US...

If you want to get it done ahead of time either have a friend drive you to Queenston and cross over or rent a car and do it...

Thanks for the info! I did not know that activation needed you to be admitted.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep.. while you're over there, you can file your I-765 for your EAD...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Other Timeline
Doh! I totally forgot about that... You'd think I'd remember from flying so damn much... It's just that I can get to the airport really easily from where I live but you're right about showing a boarding pass to get into pre-clearance.

Anyway, I was asking because I don't drive and I just wanted to activate it ahead of travelling to avoid delays when actually going on my next trip. I will be activating it before I actually move since when I do, I'll have my 3 cats and my dog with me and I'd rather not get held up at the border when I cross.

Sorry I'm tired and wasn't thinking too clearly. :whistle:

You're going to be held up anyway when you move across the border. Especially with pets with you, they'll require paperwork too! Its rare that they'll just wave you thru if you have animals with you.

When you go to move permanently, are you driving or flying across? You'd better check the Customs and Border Patrol website for their requirements regarding pets. Plus, you'll need to have your personal items itemized and boxes labeled as well. There's tons of info about what you'll need in the Canada forum, go have a look around.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
You're going to be held up anyway when you move across the border. Especially with pets with you, they'll require paperwork too! Its rare that they'll just wave you thru if you have animals with you.

When you go to move permanently, are you driving or flying across? You'd better check the Customs and Border Patrol website for their requirements regarding pets. Plus, you'll need to have your personal items itemized and boxes labeled as well. There's tons of info about what you'll need in the Canada forum, go have a look around.

Oh yeah, I know I'll be held up a little bit with animals though not as long as if I'd have to activate a K3 at the same time. I've already checked the requirements for "importing animals" across the border (not much to it actually). Certificates of vaccinations and they may or may not be visually inspected. I've already talked to my vet about this in advance. None of them are under 3 months old or are sick so they won't need to be quarantined. Funny, 2 of my cats were originally from Detroit and were rescued about 1.5 years ago. I guess they'll get their citizenship back when I move. :P

The bulk of my move will be done using a trucking service. When I go across to move, I'll just have my animals and some fragile stuff with me, not much at all.

Thanks! :)

Edited by misa

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Oh yeah, I know I'll be held up a little bit with animals though not as long as if I'd have to activate a K3 at the same time. I've already checked the requirements for "importing animals" across the border (not much to it actually). Certificates of vaccinations and they may or may not be visually inspected. I've already talked to my vet about this in advance. None of them are under 3 months old or are sick so they won't need to be quarantined. Funny, 2 of my cats were originally from Detroit and were rescued about 1.5 years ago. I guess they'll get their citizenship back when I move. :P

The bulk of my move will be done using a trucking service. When I go across to move, I'll just have my animals and some fragile stuff with me, not much at all.

Thanks! :)

Acitvating the K-3 should not take all that long either.

My husband came from Turkey thru Chicago, the officer looked at his passport, the big envelope and all the documents inside and except for the civil surgeon not signing his medical form he was done and received his I-94, he an extra trip to the doctor they had at the airport she signed him off and he was free to enter the country....even with going to the doctor it took maybe 30 minutes total.

Good Luck!!!

Michele

OUR K-3 INTERVIEW WAS ON NOV. 1ST @ 10:00!!!

VISA APPROVED!!!

WE ARRIVE IN THE USA ON NOV. 10TH!!!

Timeline

Whoops, I forgot to mention that when I go across with the animals, it will be a land crossing. My stuff will be moved separately with a trucking/moving service.

I'm thinking that I will probably go for a visit (without animals, and maybe a few suitcases of clothes) and fly across to activate my K3 the first time. The POE would be here in Toronto at Pearson airport. I'd probably avoid an early flight since the pre-clearance seems to be the busiest in the mornings with all the business class passengers.

Edited by misa

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Timeline

misa,

What do you mean "activate"? What is it that you are trying to accomplish by visiting a POE without entering the USA?

The function of a visa is to request admittance to the USA, yet you indicate that you do not wish to be admitted - so what is the purpose of visiting a POE?

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

because she wants to activate her visa and then a little later when she moves to the US with all her belongings and pets she won't have the extra hassle of activating her visa.... at least that is what I understood...

misa,

What do you mean "activate"? What is it that you are trying to accomplish by visiting a POE without entering the USA?

The function of a visa is to request admittance to the USA, yet you indicate that you do not wish to be admitted - so what is the purpose of visiting a POE?

Yodrak

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

MarilynP,

Same question for you - what do you mean "she wants to activate her visa"? What is it that takes place when a visa is "activated"?

Can you tell me what it is that she wants to accomplish without using the words 'activate the visa'? What more does she want to accomplish besides have a conversation with a CBP officer and then turn around without entering the USA? She can do that by telephone (and doesn't need a visa to do it).

Or lets say that she does want to be admitted to the USA, and will step across the border before turning around and heading back to her home in Canada. A Canadian doesn't need a visa of any kind to do that.

Yodrak

because she wants to activate her visa and then a little later when she moves to the US with all her belongings and pets she won't have the extra hassle of activating her visa.... at least that is what I understood...
misa,

Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.