sarah and hicham

What would you do

166 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Yes, I do agree. I was just kinda joking about that. I can't picture my husband working at McDonald's but wouldn't have a problem with him working there. You gotta start somewhere :thumbs:

But wouldn't you agree that wearing that 'uniform & cheesy hat' could lead them to a acheive a larger dream? I am proud that my man could 'step down' from being a business owner to taking a food job. It is this job that will enable him to realize his ambition of owning a business here in America.

Many of our MENA SO's are wearing uniforms and cheesy hats. I applaud them for wanting to provide for their families.

Jackie

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if you were the immigrant? would you want your husband to force your azz to work at the golden arches? I was an immigrant in another country before and my husband never forced me to get any job or certainly nohting demeaning. I would certainly extend the same respect to my husband. we are not so bad off he has to down grade- hell yeah he is too good for wal mart and mc ds god dayum it..

shon.gif

My husband was never forced to go to work. It was all I could do to keep him at home the first 3 months. He WANTED to work and did the day his EAD card arrived. Yes, he started just cooking chicken, but with his work ethics he is now the manager of that restaurant and controls every aspect of that business.

If you believe that your man is too good for something, he may be sitting home for a long time on his broke azz.

Jackie

I have been in the situation where I took employment because I needed a paycheck. Not a job I would ever have sought in any other situation and I was definitely overqualified. You do what you have to. I never really felt it fair to judge someone based on where they work. I admire anyone willing to support themselves and their families and doing what's necessary. I also have no intention of pushing Mohammed to do anything. I know I don't need to.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't see anything wrong with starting at the bottom. Yes, it hurts the pride to settle for less than you did in the country you are from, but that degree doesn't mean squat here to employers. If your husband has ambition he will take himself back to school and work towards his new future here in the US. We can't expect the employers here to turn away experienced potential employees over immigrants that don't have the knowledge of the way we do things here. The opportunities are out there for all, but it isn't going to be handed out on a silver platter. We all have to work towards our goals.

Look at it this way. I had a career already set in place from the time I was young. I nurtured it and eventually opened my own business. This career took a lot of standing. About 10 years from the time I started my business I ran into problems with my feet that forced me to change careers. Now I had owned a business for 10 years and in the process I learned accounting. Since I already had knowledge in the field of accounting I decided that this would be my new career. If I was to go out and apply for a job in accounting why would they hire me, with no formal training, over a qualified person with a degree? They wouldn't. So I went back to school, and started back at the bottom again. I am happy to say I am back on track with a lucrative job, but it did take time, and I did need to lower my standards for several years to get where I am at now.

I will be by my husbands side to support him as he starts at the bottom, I will be by his side as he struggles through school, and I will be by my his side when he lands himself that first "great job". I won't leave him on his own to do it alone like I did.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

But wouldn't you agree that wearing that 'uniform & cheesy hat' could lead them to a acheive a larger dream? I am proud that my man could 'step down' from being a business owner to taking a food job. It is this job that will enable him to realize his ambition of owning a business here in America.

Many of our MENA SO's are wearing uniforms and cheesy hats. I applaud them for wanting to provide for their families.

Jackie

Jacque where is your siggy flower that accompanies ur name :crying: i hope you did not take any disrespect from my post at all. the bit about McDonald's was me pointing out i believe MY man would be one who refuses work not in his field. it may be arrogance on his part, but certainly not being lazy.

siggy flower plays an important role in determining wether you are getting irritated or not :innocent: /lol

Filed: Other Timeline
I wonder if you need a EAD or green card to sell things on eBay? :unsure:

I know in Algeria the wages are VERY LOW. Similar to Morocco. There are a lot of men, with degrees or no degrees, that are unemployed in Algeria and would jump for the chance to have A job. So, from a NA prospective I believe they would take that lower paying job, regardless of their educational background, and start from the bottom and work their way up. :yes:

Sarah...to answer your initial question...I would probably just add him as a dependent on my 2007 tax return. :lol:

To sell on ebay you need a ss#, address, phone #, and credit card. As far as EAD, I'd assume you would need it because work is work.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

My husband decided a week ago that he wasn't going to work at his old job anymore. But after he started finding better jobs he realized the only way he would make it in the company is not to go to Morocco until the end of next year. So with reluctance he went back to his old job until we get back from Morocco.

I am glad that my husbands pride doesn't get too much in the way, but he can still be extremely stubborn when it comes to getting something he wants. But if he didn't want to work, I would give him two optinons, either we end up living with my dad and not having any privacy, or he gets a job and helps pay rent to have a roof over our heads.

That's really nice your dad would let you live with him if your husband wasn't working. My dad would let ME live there, but tell my husband to GTFO. And my dad really loves my husband.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

When Amed came here, he was dying to work right off of the bat. He didn't want to sit at home while I was at work every day. A lot of places wouldn't even talk to him because he only had a temp EAD, so he went to this day labor place and worked. After one day there (12 hours) in the blistering sun, they tried to pay him for 9 hours of work and he went home with only $50. I saw how miserable he was and I said "we don't need the money that badly."

Now he's working at a very tough job, and it's not what he wants to do by any means, but he goes there every day and works his butt off and doesn't complain. I feel really bad that he has to do that, especially since he absolutely loved his job in Paris, and only moved here to be with me, but I know he wants to contribute, and honestly, we really need the money. I can't imagine him not wanting to work, and I think it would have been a real problem if he had refused to do so. We'd have to move back in with my parents, and obviously wouldn't have the money to travel or add to our savings.

I couldn't really say too much, though, because when I lived abroad with him, I had a hard time finding a job and my savings ran out about 4 months before I was supposed to come back to the U.S. I was just going to go home early, but he didn't want me to and ended up paying all of my bills so I could stay. I will never forget how generous he was, and how he still is.

Every day I think of how lucky I got when I met him.

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

Jackie

I agree, I'm not sure why the mocking tones? God help us all the minute something tragic happens and the only potential for work might just be something we'd never see ourselves doing, but to feed kids and keep a home we must.

what if you were the immigrant? would you want your husband to force your azz to work at the golden arches? I was an immigrant in another country before and my husband never forced me to get any job or certainly nohting demeaning. I would certainly extend the same respect to my husband. we are not so bad off he has to down grade- hell yeah he is too good for wal mart and mc ds god dayum it..

I dont' know that anyone is forcing anyone to do anything, however, plenty of mena men have never held a job or only have had sporadic work, so they dont' necessarily have skills immediately...they need to build them. Furthermore, we are talking about women with kids here who might not always have the same earning power as say, a sponsor husband like yours might have had when you came to live with him.

My husband was never forced to go to work. It was all I could do to keep him at home the first 3 months. He WANTED to work and did the day his EAD card arrived. Yes, he started just cooking chicken, but with his work ethics he is now the manager of that restaurant and controls every aspect of that business.

If you believe that your man is too good for something, he may be sitting home for a long time on his broke azz.

Jackie

My father owned 4 KFCs after starting out cooking chicken at age 17, in 1968. It made him quite well off and able to do lots of things he might not have had since he never went to college.

Opportunities are everywhere, the worst thing you can do is disregard something out of hand without consideration.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.