NH Man

Two Year Meeting Requirement Help

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I do not understand the concept of only with in the past two years of meeting requirement. It does not mean because I fall in to the category of not meeting the requirement, but here are myriads other that face the same problem and under some circumstances it is not possible to meet in person with in the prescribed time limit. I met my fiancé 3 years ago and after that my situation changed and I am involved in a small business where I have a a problem hiring help and pay, not only that I need trustworthy person where lot of cash is involved in the lottery. Have no other support or family help available to me, so this means if I can not meet my fiancé in person, the current situation I am in, can not get married and can not be unite and USCIS is going to dictate me what to do and what I can and cannot do with my personal life.

As Harpa explained to you why there is a 2 year meeting requirement and there is a regulation in place and just like any other regulation that goes with immigration such as having sufficient finance to support your spouse / fiancé is required to be met 2 year requirement is required to be met.

There is always an exception and waivers are granted based on hardship personally like others have suggested I do not think your situation falls in for waiver, you can always try who know might get an exception to meeting requirement but from what I know they are very strict about it.

The OP is from New Hampshire, if you were to look at a map, NH borders Canada. How exactly is it closer? I myself live in NH, it's a 2 hour drive. Fact of the matter is, the OP does not have a good excuse for not meeting his fiancé in the last 2 years(even though he thinks he does)he isn't going to be the exception to the rule. Plain and simple, he will be denied.

Um...the OP lives in Massachusetts (according to his "state" on his profile) and his fiancee lives in India (unless I'm missing something??)

A plane ticket across the ocean to another continent is much farther than a plane ticket from Massachusetts to Canada. A plane ticket from Boston to Montreal is about an hour and a ticket from Boston to India is about 18 hours. In the first scenario, the OP can go and see her and fly home in 1 day. In the second scenario, it would require at least 2 days (probably more with the time lag). The fiancee can arrive in Montreal before he gets there and leave after he gets there assuming she is not working as many hours as he is.

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Timeline

I do not understand the concept of only with in the past two years of meeting requirement. It does not mean because I fall in to the category of not meeting the requirement, but here are myriads other that face the same problem and under some circumstances it is not possible to meet in person with in the prescribed time limit. I met my fiancé 3 years ago and after that my situation changed and I am involved in a small business where I have a a problem hiring help and pay, not only that I need trustworthy person where lot of cash is involved in the lottery. Have no other support or family help available to me, so this means if I can not meet my fiancé in person, the current situation I am in, can not get married and can not be unite and USCIS is going to dictate me what to do and what I can and cannot do with my personal life.

I realize that your situation is difficult, and I'm sorry for that. However, the USCIS is set up the way it is, and none of us here on the forum, and no lawyer can change existing rules. The rules are set up for a reason, and while everyone's situation is different, the US justice system requires equality before the law. That means they aren't able to "tweak" the law in certain situations. Maybe they would be if if there weren't a bajillion petitions and applications being submitted each day, but there are. The K-1 visa is also one of the most suseptible visas to fraud, and the CIS is very weary about couples who have barely met each other before filing, and thus require an engaged couple to have met at least once during the last two years before filing. It's not the USCIS dictating your life, they aren't telling you you can't marry her, they don't care if you go to India to live with her or get married. They are simply saying that you currently do not fulfill the requirements to petition a K-1 visa for her. While I understand that your business may require you to be present in the US, this does not constitute extreme hardship. I wish there was something else I could tell you, but if this is the woman you want to marry, you will have to meet her again before filing any new petition. The current petition will be denied, and you will file a new one, after you've met again in person.

There are no loopholes here. Rather than worry about hardships etc., figure out how you can meet in person. It seems like you're in the New Hampshire/Mass area. You're close to Canada. If she cannot get a US tourist visa, she may still qualify for a Canadian tourist visa. If not, could you perhaps save up some money and hire someone to step in for you for a week? Can she help you out financially?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.