spn1025

Can a student get a tourist visa?

11 posts in this topic

Here's the situation:

My wife (here on green card, from Philippines) wants her sister to come visit here. The sister is age 18, in Philippines, and a college student. Since she is still a student, she does not have a job yet or any properties.

Is it even possible for her to get a B2? I'm assuming that showing my income and savings will do nothing to help her, right? The intent would be that I would support her during her stay here.

If a B2 is not possible, what about a student visa? (Exchange student, J visa)

I got a B2 visa while I was still in college....

K1 PROCESS: AOS:

April 1, 2010 met in person in Czech Republic                                                   Sept 15, 2013 applied for SSN

May 2010 my first visit in USA                                                                            Sept 23, 2013 recieved SSN

June 2010 I spent 3 months in USA                                                                   Sept 26, 2013 Tdap, MMR vaccines

December 2010 my fiancé came over fo X-mas                                                 Sept 27, 2013 flu shot, Tb test

January 2011 I spent 1 month in USA                                                                Sept 28, 2013 blood test

March 2011 I spent 2 weeks in USA                                                                   October 1, 2013 I-693 completed

June 2011 I spent 3 months in USA                                                                    October 2, 2013 AOS sent

October 2011 I spent 2 weeks in USA                                                                 October 7, 2013 check cashed

December 2011 my fiance came over for X-mas                                                 October 10, 2013 NOA1

January 2012 I spent 1 month in USA                                                                 October 21, 2013 got biometrics appt.letter

February 23,2012 got B1,B2 Tourist visa                                                            November 7, 2013 biometrics appointment

March 2012 I spent 2 weeks in USA                                                                   December 6, 2013 EAD/AP approved

June 2012 I spent 3 months in USA                                                                   December 12, 2013 card mailed 

October 2012 I spent 2 weeks in USA                                                                December 14, 2013 EAD card recieved

December 2012 my fiancé came over for X-mas                                               February 21, 2014 Potential Interview Waiver Case January 1, 2013 got engaged                                                                                                                                letter received

January 23, 2013 I-129f filed                                                                               July 3, 2014 GC received

January 28, 2013 NOA1

February 2, 2013 Alien Registration Number

February 8, 2013 I spent 5,5 months in USA

June 21, 2013 petition transferred to Texas SC

July 3, 2013 NOA2 - approved

July 22, 2013 I came back from USA

July 24, 2013 package sent to NVC

July 30, 2013 medical exam

August 2, 2013 package left NVC

August 8, 2013 package recieved by the embassy

August 12, 2013 package 3 recieved

August 22,2013 interview....approved!

August 26, 2013 visa recieved

August 29, 2013 POE - JFK

Sept 12, 2013 GOT MARRIED

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Here's the situation:

My wife (here on green card, from Philippines) wants her sister to come visit here. The sister is age 18, in Philippines, and a college student. Since she is still a student, she does not have a job yet or any properties.

Is it even possible for her to get a B2? I'm assuming that showing my income and savings will do nothing to help her, right? The intent would be that I would support her during her stay here.

She will never be granted a tourist visa. You have nothing to do with her application and trying to get involved is a huge mistake but it wont matter anyway due to the level of fraud in the P I when it comes to these visas.

She must prove beyond a doubt she MUST return to the P I. That she can not do.

I got a B2 visa while I was still in college....

Please explain... How long ago was this, and what was your "stong ties" to your country as a student?

It was last year in February. The most important thing was that I still wasn't finished with college so I was planning to go back. They asked me what was the purpose of the visa and I said visiting my boyfriend (they told me in the US that I was coming too often on the visa waiver programe and they recomended me to get the visa). I was told I can't get married on that visa and I said I'm not planning to. I said I would get the right visa when it's the right time for us and the American lady actually explained to me the two different ways how we could get married.

I think they also asked me who will pay for my trips since I was a student... I said my I have a part time job, my Mom is supporting me and my boyfriends will pay for most of the trips and all my expences over there... But they really didn't want any proof of anything from me...I also had a letter from by boyfriend explaining to them why we are trying to get the visa but they wouldn't even read it. She said: " I see in your passport that you have been over there many times and never over stayed your time so I'm gonna issue it for you".

For me it was really easy... But it might be different for somebody from Philipines who has family over here...

K1 PROCESS: AOS:

April 1, 2010 met in person in Czech Republic                                                   Sept 15, 2013 applied for SSN

May 2010 my first visit in USA                                                                            Sept 23, 2013 recieved SSN

June 2010 I spent 3 months in USA                                                                   Sept 26, 2013 Tdap, MMR vaccines

December 2010 my fiancé came over fo X-mas                                                 Sept 27, 2013 flu shot, Tb test

January 2011 I spent 1 month in USA                                                                Sept 28, 2013 blood test

March 2011 I spent 2 weeks in USA                                                                   October 1, 2013 I-693 completed

June 2011 I spent 3 months in USA                                                                    October 2, 2013 AOS sent

October 2011 I spent 2 weeks in USA                                                                 October 7, 2013 check cashed

December 2011 my fiance came over for X-mas                                                 October 10, 2013 NOA1

January 2012 I spent 1 month in USA                                                                 October 21, 2013 got biometrics appt.letter

February 23,2012 got B1,B2 Tourist visa                                                            November 7, 2013 biometrics appointment

March 2012 I spent 2 weeks in USA                                                                   December 6, 2013 EAD/AP approved

June 2012 I spent 3 months in USA                                                                   December 12, 2013 card mailed 

October 2012 I spent 2 weeks in USA                                                                December 14, 2013 EAD card recieved

December 2012 my fiancé came over for X-mas                                               February 21, 2014 Potential Interview Waiver Case January 1, 2013 got engaged                                                                                                                                letter received

January 23, 2013 I-129f filed                                                                               July 3, 2014 GC received

January 28, 2013 NOA1

February 2, 2013 Alien Registration Number

February 8, 2013 I spent 5,5 months in USA

June 21, 2013 petition transferred to Texas SC

July 3, 2013 NOA2 - approved

July 22, 2013 I came back from USA

July 24, 2013 package sent to NVC

July 30, 2013 medical exam

August 2, 2013 package left NVC

August 8, 2013 package recieved by the embassy

August 12, 2013 package 3 recieved

August 22,2013 interview....approved!

August 26, 2013 visa recieved

August 29, 2013 POE - JFK

Sept 12, 2013 GOT MARRIED

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Your sister can apply for a visitor visa.

Whether she will get a visitor visa will depends on her overcoming the presumption that all applicants intend to illegally immigrate to the US. She needs to show strong ties to the PI that would indicate she would return rather than stay illegally in the US.

No one can tell you if she will qualify or not. The only way to know is to apply.

A student visa is always possible - however, you need to show $20,000 in a US bank to cover tuition and cost of living. That's $20,000 minimum per year. Living with a relative does not lower the required amount.

Filed: Timeline

Please explain... How long ago was this, and what was your "stong ties" to your country as a student?

His flag suggests he's Czech. Getting a visa in the Czech Republic vs. the Philippines are two entirely different ball games, and would be comparing apples to oranges.

I would ask in the Philippines regional forum. The problem many young Filipinos have is that they're considered a risk of overstaying. This largely due to economic reasons. Showing "strong ties" is often best done by providing financial reasons why it would be completely lunatic for her to want to live and/or work in the US illegally, rather than returning to the Philippines before her I-94 exipry date.

Edited by Jay Jay

• 1 month later...

It sounds highly unlikely that she'll get a visitor visa, for now. I suggest that the sisters spend some time together in the Philippines (GC holder sister visits Philippines instead) and they should travel to other cities where getting a visa isn't too gnarly for the younger sister. How about Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, or Vietnam? The younger sister can try applying for a US tourist visa after she has graduated and when she holds a steady, well-paying job, owns property, and has a family of her own. This is probably not what they want to hear, but its really best for the younger sister not to fixate on getting a tourist visa right now.

Blue Bianchi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

01/08/2020 Day 00 - Submitted N-400 online

01/11/2020 Day 03 - Received NOA online, Priority Date January 8, 2020

01/14/2020 Day 06 - Received notice of Biometrics appointment online.

01/31/2020 Day 20 - Biometrics Appointment (scheduled)
07/08/2020 Day 183 - Received online notice of citizenship interview 
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship interview
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship Oath (Same day as interview!)

Here's the situation:

Hi!

If she is only coming to visit, why are you looking at exchange student visa? The visa depends on how long she plans to stay, and what she plans to do in the country (basically, if you're there on a tourist visa, you can not work). But I guess it all depends on what she wants to do there while visiting.

She can apply, but sounds like she barely started college, which means little to lose if she abandons her studies to stay put in the US.....she might have a better chance if she had finished about three full years of education, because then there would be something to lose....sadly, far too many young, single Filipinas have scampered off into the sunset with tourist visas, and found 'true love' before the wheels even kissed the runway as they landed in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.