johntheman

Change visit visa to Green Card?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Dear Sirs,

I am a Jordanian citizen and married to an American. We got married in 2001 in Greece and we have lived in the Middle East since then. We never applied for an immigration visa for me because we were told that my wife, the American, has to be residence in the US and has to have a job, properties ...etc in the US before she could be eligible to fill papers for me.

We applied for a visit visa for me and I got it two years ago. It is still valid until March 2007. My wife was diagnosed with cancer three months ago and was given 6 to nine months to live. We don't have children. We are planning to come to the US to seek alternative therapy for my wife.

I am trying to find out what we can do for me while we are in the states. Could we apply for a green card under the circumstances? What if my wife passes away before the interview? Would I be granted a visa again after my wife passes, given the fact that I was denied a visit visa four times before I got it in 2005?

Edited by johntheman

Filed: Timeline

It is very sad to read about your ailing wife.

I pray to God she recovers.

In case God takes her back, you can still apply; Read this note from a US embassy website;

Spouse of a Deceased United States Citizen

A widow/widower of a U.S. citizen may file an immigrant visa petition, form I-360, on his/her own behalf in the immediate relative category if he/she had been married to the U.S. citizen for at least two years, was not legally separated at the time of death and has not remarried. To qualify, the petition must be filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) within two years of the death of the U.S. citizen.

Dear Sirs,

I am a Jordanian citizen and married to an American. We got married in 2001 in Greece and we have lived in the Middle East since then. We never applied for an immigration visa for me because we were told that my wife, the American, has to be residence in the US and has to have a job, properties ...etc in the US before she could be eligible to fill papers for me.

We applied for a visit visa for me and I got it two years ago. It is still valid until March 2007. My wife was diagnosed with cancer three months ago and was given 6 to nine months to live. We don't have children. We are planning to come to the US to seek alternative therapy for my wife.

I am trying to find out what we can do for me while we are in the states. Could we apply for a green card under the circumstances? What if my wife passes away before the interview? Would I be granted a visa again after my wife passes, given the fact that I was denied a visit visa four times before I got it in 2005?

Edited by kind_heart

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Although I have no advice I can offer you, I am sorry to hear about your wife and wish you the best of luck in getting access to the care she needs in the USA.

19 Apr 07: ARRIVED JFK POE and got the temp EAD stamp!!!!

27 Apr 07: Got Married

14 May 07: Received SSN

04 June 07: GOT A JOB!!

16 June 07: Wedding Reception in San Francisco

13 August 07: Got new EAD

23 November 07: Adjustment of Status approved

25 December 07: First white Christmas EVER!!!!

27 Apr 08: First Wedding Anniversary

4 July 08: Mt Rushmore for 4th July

27 April 09: Second Wedding Anniversary

October 09: Hoping to visit Australia

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your wife's illness...

Your spouse is permitted to file an I-130 petition at the consulate in Amman... Do this ASAP... explain the situation and you should be able to have them expidite the visa interview for you. Get eveything that you will need for the interview including the I-864 Affidavit of Support... you'll probably need a co-sponsor in your case since your wife wouldn't be able to support herself in the US...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.