USA Joe

(RFE) Need help understanding what exactly do they need

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Laos
Timeline

Background:
I submitted my wife's request to remove conditions a month before it was due. She got the appointment to do the Biometric - and went. We were happily waiting for her extended Green card. But instead, we just got a RFE yesterday.

It states: "Evidence of Good Faith Marriage. The conditional permanent resident (CPR) filed a Form i-751 with our office. the CPR provided a bank account status sheet as evidence, however, no transaction pages were submitted for 2013, 2012 or 2011. Furthermore, the income tax return evidence was insufficient. The income tax return evidence did not include earning statements. Finally, based on the evidence provided, a martial bona fide could not be clearly determined. To establish eligibility for removal of conditional status, it is requested that additional documentation be submitted. Documentations should reflect the names of both the conditional permanent resident and the US citizen spouse. In addition, the documentation should cover the period of time from the date of marriage to the present date, or the date when the marriage was terminated through divorce, separation or death."

What I did submitted (in terms to financial evidence):
- Tax returns filed as Married for 2011, 2012. I was the only one working.
- Bank letters stating dates our Joint Account were opened: June 2011.
- Life insurance showing my wife as beneficiary.

My question: Based on the RFE, what do they need?
Are they really, REALLY wanting 3 years worth of bank transaction statements??
There is NO earning statement for my wife, she didn't work during those tax filing.... so are they wanting earning letter from my employer???

Thank you all for any help or insight!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Background:

I submitted my wife's request to remove conditions a month before it was due. She got the appointment to do the Biometric - and went. We were happily waiting for her extended Green card. But instead, we just got a RFE yesterday.

It states: "Evidence of Good Faith Marriage. The conditional permanent resident (CPR) filed a Form i-751 with our office. the CPR provided a bank account status sheet as evidence, however, no transaction pages were submitted for 2013, 2012 or 2011. Furthermore, the income tax return evidence was insufficient. The income tax return evidence did not include earning statements. Finally, based on the evidence provided, a martial bona fide could not be clearly determined. To establish eligibility for removal of conditional status, it is requested that additional documentation be submitted. Documentations should reflect the names of both the conditional permanent resident and the US citizen spouse. In addition, the documentation should cover the period of time from the date of marriage to the present date, or the date when the marriage was terminated through divorce, separation or death."

What I did submitted (in terms to financial evidence):

- Tax returns filed as Married for 2011, 2012. I was the only one working.

- Bank letters stating dates our Joint Account were opened: June 2011.

- Life insurance showing my wife as beneficiary.

My question: Based on the RFE, what do they need?

Are they really, REALLY wanting 3 years worth of bank transaction statements??

There is NO earning statement for my wife, she didn't work during those tax filing.... so are they wanting earning letter from my employer???

Thank you all for any help or insight!

First of all it's better to send the IRS transcripts for your taxes.

Order them here:

https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do

Second, yes they need all the bank statements spanning the two years. All pages of the bank statements if possible.

-send in your drivers license or state ids showing same address

-send utility bills including water, power, trash, cable, phone with both of your names

- send insurance cards: health, dental, auto, property

-send credit card statements with both of your names

-send 401K beneficiary information

-send cards, pictures, itineraries for trips taken together

-send anything else you have with both of your names.

Make sure that everything you send spans the the 2-3 years of your marriage.

ROC:
07/2010....Attorney mailed I-751 divorce waiver
07/21/10...USCIS recvd I-751
07/21/10...NOA1
08/20/10...Bio completed
09/16/10...Recvd RFE, due 10/31
10/26/10...Mailed RFE
10/27/10...RFE delivered to VSC
04/26/11...Interview
05/11/11...APPROVED!!
05/18/11...Card production ordered
05/23/11...Received green card

N400:
04/29/13.. Eligible to file N400
04/26/13...Mailed N400..Dallas, TX
04/28/13...USPS delivered package (Priority mail)
04/29/13...NOA Priority date
05/02/13...Check cashed
05/10/13...Rcvd bio notice
05/30/13...Bio Appt
05/17/13...Walk in bio successful
06/28/13...Placed in line for interview scheduling
08/06/13...Recvd email interview has been scheduled
08/10/13...Recvd Interview letter
09/12/13...N400 Interview
09/12/13...Decision cannot be made
10/21/14...Biometrics (second time)
01/05/15...In line for oath scheduling

01/21/15...Oath Ceremony

01/21/15...Applied Passport

02/05/15..Received Passport

Journey Over!!

Sounds like the tax returns you submitted were incomplete.. did you include your W-2s in the original submission? Perhaps you should request tax return transcripts from the IRS. These will contain all the information they want. They are free and you can request them by phone, online or in person at an IRS office. We ordered them online and got them in the mail in about a week. Don't know if the government shutdown has affected this service, but the online request form is still up and running.

And yes, they want to see actual bank statements, not just a letter stating when your account was opened. Send them copies of full statements for each quarter since your bank account was opened.

It also sounds like they need more evidence to make a decision on your case so send them anything else you can think of that shows you live joint lives.

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

This was what I had, passed with flying colors:

• Letter from USCIS
  • Copy of I-797 NOA – Adjustment of status
  • (Green Card)
  • Marriage Certificate copy
  • Birth Certificate copy of child ()
  • Copy of 2010 Federal Tax returns
  • Copy 2010 State Tax returns
  • Copy Bank Checking/Savings joint account statements
  • Employer letter stating 401K and Life Insurance policy beneficiaries
  • Copy of Certificate of Group Health/Drug Insurance from Provider
  • Copy of our health insurance cards showing a joint policy.
  • Copies of Medical Bills
  • Two sworn affidavits by friends, attesting to our relationship and marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.