2,315 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm an October '13 filer. Just received my NOA 2 on April 4th with an approval for my I-130 filing notifying me that the case has been forwarded to the NVC. I called the NVC today to get an update on the status and was told that they received my case from the USCIS but have not logged it yet (ie: it does not have a case number yet) and that I should call back in 20-30 days, which is the latest expected time for a case number to be assigned and the next stage of processing to begin.

My question in the meantime is, is there anything I can do while I wait to prepare for the next step (and future steps, if possible)? If so, can you please point me to the resources for that (ie: a checklist of documents I can begin filling on now, miscellaneous information I need to prepare ahead of time, etc.)?

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

""Whoa! Lucky! I also got case number Monday but still can't log in! Did they just tell you that you had one? Or did they actually tell you it had been assigned that day? ""

I want to get some timing. For the people who have a case number and INN. How long did it take to get them? from the time the NOA2 was approved.

I believe it's taking on average 6 weeks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

""Whoa! Lucky! I also got case number Monday but still can't log in! Did they just tell you that you had one? Or did they actually tell you it had been assigned that day? ""

I want to get some timing. For the people who have a case number and INN. How long did it take to get them? from the time the NOA2 was approved.

I believe it's taking on average 6 weeks

I haven't gotten either yet, but based on spreadsheet data, it takes approximately 10-14 days for NVC to receive it.. Then almost exactly a month for the case number and IIN (I've seen a lot of cases where it's been either exactly a month or one/two days around that). Some people who also had K3's that made it NVC got their case number and IIN immediately, but that's a gamble.

I am the beneficiary.

July 2010: Met in Germany

Sept 14th 2012: Started Relationship (visited each other 20+ times since then)

May 1st – Aug 31st 2013: J1 Stay in US

Dec 23rd 2013– Jan 4th 2014: Trip together to Germany

Jan 30th, 2014: Married in VA!

Feb 11th, 2014: Back in Montreal

USCIS Journey

Feb 13th, 2014: Sent I-130 packet overnight (delayed by DC storm)

Feb 18th, 2014: I-130 received by USCIS (PD)

Feb 20th, 2014: NOA1 (email)

Feb 25th, 2014: NOA1 (paper)

June 11th, 2014: NOA2 (email)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

So we can say. From the time NOA2 gets approved until the interview date could take approx. 4-5 months ...all depends if we don't get a checklist and everythings goes as planned.

NVC is more direct as they just review the documents, making sure we fill out the documents corectly and pay the fees and everytthing in order.

The workload is increasing as they are getting more applicants.

Compare to USCIS which they depend on other peple reviewing/checking backgrounds and other checks they do before approving the documents, it takes longer.....

Hope all of our visa journey is done soon and we can be with our spouses and children togetther and continue with our lives

So we can say. From the time NOA2 gets approved until the interview date could take approx. 4-5 months ...all depends if we don't get a checklist and everythings goes as planned.

NVC is more direct as they just review the documents, making sure we fill out the documents corectly and pay the fees and everytthing in order.

Compare to USCIS which they depend on other peple reviewing/checking backgrounds and other checks they do before approving the documents, it takes longer.....

Hope all of our visa journey is done soon and we can be with our spouses and children togetther and continue with our lives

Their workload suddenly decreased since the F2A priority dates retrogressed by about a year and a half. All those poor people are now stuck waiting for their dates to become current again before they can continue with the process.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Their workload suddenly decreased since the F2A priority dates retrogressed by about a year and a half. All those poor people are now stuck waiting for their dates to become current again before they can continue with the process.

NVC has been reducing the backlog since most applicants who applied from Feb to June are done with the NVC stage, correct? :rolleyes:

I noticed that it took 5 weeks to get a case number 2-3 months ago, but now we can get a case number in 4 weeks. :yes:

Naturalization

N-400 Sent: Aug 22, 2017

NOA: Aug 24, 2017

Biometrics: Sept 22, 2017

Interview: Oct 22, 2018 (Approved)

Oath Ceremony: Oct 23, 2018

Removing Conditions

I-751 Sent: Aug 22, 2016

NOA1: Aug 25, 2016

Biometrics: Oct 12, 2016

I-130 Application

NOA1: Oct 4, 2013

NOA2: Apr 11, 2014

NVC Received: Apr 30

Case Number: May 23

DS-261 / AOS Fee: June 5

AOS Package (Scan): June 16

IV Fee: July 18

IV Package (Scan): July 25

DS-260 Form: July 25

AOS Package (Accepted): July 29

Case Complete: Sept 16

Medical Exam: Oct 16

Interview: Nov 10

Visa Received: Nov 19

POE: Nov 20, 2014

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

NVC has been reducing the backlog since most applicants who applied from Feb to June are done with the NVC stage, correct? :rolleyes:

I noticed that it took 5 weeks to get a case number 2-3 months ago, but now we can get a case number in 4 weeks. :yes:

Glad to know that! My husband has not called NVC yet, since it has been only 3weeks and 3days since NOA2.

I hope all of people here will finish this annoying and long visa stuff soon:)

Timeline

Glad to know that! My husband has not called NVC yet, since it has been only 3weeks and 3days since NOA2.

I hope all of people here will finish this annoying and long visa stuff soon:)

Well, you might want to call NVC to make sure they've received your file. :unsure:

Your timeline doesn't indicate your file has arrived at NVC... :time:

I don't want to jinx this, but some files go missing or take 2-3 months to arrive at NVC. :oops:

So you're not really at NVC until your file has arrived at NVC. :wacko:

Naturalization

Removing Conditions

I-130 Application

Well, you might want to call NVC to make sure they've received your file. :unsure:

Your timeline doesn't indicate your file has arrived at NVC... :time:

I don't want to jinx this, but some files go missing or take 2-3 months to arrive at NVC. :oops:

So you're not really at NVC until your file has arrived at NVC. :wacko:

Oh god... I remember reading about that bunch of people who were sent to NRC instead of NVC. What a balls-up :blink:

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I haven't gotten either yet, but based on spreadsheet data, it takes approximately 10-14 days for NVC to receive it.. Then almost exactly a month for the case number and IIN (I've seen a lot of cases where it's been either exactly a month or one/two days around that). Some people who also had K3's that made it NVC got their case number and IIN immediately, but that's a gamble.

Yes- that's what happened with me. I had filed a K3 alongside and I got case/IIN right away. I don't really know why it makes a difference though?

Timeline

Yes- that's what happened with me. I had filed a K3 alongside and I got case/IIN right away. I don't really know why it makes a difference though?

Really makes me wish I had filed the I-129f as we'd originally planned. O well.

I have a theory that it's because they try to fast-track K3's through NVC, as they likely used to back when K3's weren't systematically closed, so they immediately issue the relevant numbers to the K3 visa applicants and, because it's paired up with your I-130, the same account can be used for the IR1/CR1 visa.. then they close the K3 and all that remains is the CR1/IR1 and you're good to go. That could totally be wrong though :D Either way, lucky you!

I am the beneficiary.

USCIS Journey

Timeline

Actually I think a lot of how long it takes will depend on what embassy you are interviewing at and how long it takes to get an interview there. I have heard Egypt can be 4-6 months after you case is complete at NVC only to schedule one. Not even until when it will be. But every country is different.

Timeline

Oh god... I remember reading about that bunch of people who were sent to NRC instead of NVC. What a balls-up :blink:

Someone posted a message on the NVC thread about a missing case. :bonk:

Her case has been missing for 3 months since USCIS shipped it to NVC, and nobody (USCIS or NVC) knows where her case is. :wow:

Naturalization

Removing Conditions

I-130 Application

Timeline

Really makes me wish I had filed the I-129f as we'd originally planned. O well.

I have a theory that it's because they try to fast-track K3's through NVC, as they likely used to back when K3's weren't systematically closed, so they immediately issue the relevant numbers to the K3 visa applicants and, because it's paired up with your I-130, the same account can be used for the IR1/CR1 visa.. then they close the K3 and all that remains is the CR1/IR1 and you're good to go. That could totally be wrong though :D Either way, lucky you!

Yeah who knows! I did not realize that would be the case. I was approved on 4/11 at VSC and so far have been able to do Ds261, pay the AOS, and send in the AOS packet. Still can't do IV though, not available. However, I am sure everyone will have their visa in hand before me anyway because of the time it seems it takes to get an interview scheduled in Cairo. But for now trying to think positively :)

Timeline

Yeah who knows! I did not realize that would be the case. I was approved on 4/11 at VSC and so far have been able to do Ds261, pay the AOS, and send in the AOS packet. Still can't do IV though, not available. However, I am sure everyone will have their visa in hand before me anyway because of the time it seems it takes to get an interview scheduled in Cairo. But for now trying to think positively :)

I'm sorry, it must be so difficult waiting that long for an interview. Do you happen to know why it takes so long? Either way, chin up; you're at the home stretch! Good luck :)

I am the beneficiary.

USCIS Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.