Statesbound

Flu Vaccine not available? Help!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I had my Medical Exam yesterday in Scarborough, ON at Dr. Lee's office for my K1 visa. Everything went well and all my vaccinations were up to date. The one thing he said was to go and get my flu shot because it is technically flu season and then fax him that I had it done. He then said that once I did that, he would complete my medical form and send it to me. I called my health unit and they said the flu vaccine isn't available until Nov. 5th. My interview is scheduled for Nov. 13th and I am kind of freaking out because that doesn't seem like there's enough time! So, I called Dr. Lee to tell him that and left messages with his secretaries and I faxed him saying that it wasn't available until the 5th. I am waiting for his response on the matter. My question is, will not having a flu vaccine on my medical paperwork hold up my visa? In other words, will I need to have the vaccine at the time of the interview? My thought was to have him put on my medical report that it isn't available yet and that I would get it done when it is. Then I can bring in proof of the flu shot when I go in for my interview. Please help! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I responded to your other post in my thread. I wasn't asked about any flu shot..

I don't think you even need it for the visa.. It wasn't even mentioned to me. May depend on your age though.

I think the Flu vaccine requirement depends on the season... not sure how far you are from the border, but the drugstores here (MA) have been adversitising the Flu shot for the last month (at least) - hop over the border and get some CVS coupons too! (just kidding, good luck finding a clinic with the vaccine available/maybe give a call to the public heath dept of your province to see when it's going to be available)

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Timeline

So what vaccinations do you NEED to have? None of the information I'm reading from official sources makes any sense. For example, if I get the Hep A and B shots, do I need to have them completed before I get my K1 visa or will one dose do?

I just read on on the USCIS website I need this -

• Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Polio
  • Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids
  • Pertussis
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B
  • Hepatitis B
  • Any other vaccine-preventable diseases recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices

But the Montreal Consulate has info I ALSO need all this -

Hep a and b vaccanation
flu vaccine
Meningococcal
Pneumococcal
Rotavirus
Varicella
Im in a panic over here...what the hell?

Timeline

Ok, did some digging and found this - THANK GOD. It looks like all I need at my age range in a flu shot and theres a clinic coming up very soon in my area -

Immunizations required for US:
Table: Requirements for routine vaccination of immigrants examined overseas who are not fully vaccinated or lack documentation. Vaccine Age Birth-1 Month 2-11 Months 12 Months-6 Years 7-10 Years 11-17 Years 18-64 Years ≥65 Years DTP/DTaP/DT NO YES NO Td/Tdap NO YES, if 7 years and older (for Td); if 10 years through 64 years (for Tdap- see ACIP schedule); if 65 years and older (for Td) Polio (IPV/OPV) NO YES NO Measles, Mumps, and Rubella NO YES, if born in 1957 or later NO, if born before 1957 Rotavirus NO YES, if
6 weeks to 8 months NO Hib NO YES, if 2 months through 59 months NO Hepatitis A NO YES, if 12 months through 23 months NO Hepatitis B YES, birth through 18 years NO Meningococcal (MCV4) NO YES, if 11 years through 18 years NO Varicella NO YES Pneumococcal NO YES, if 2 months through 59 months (for PCV) NO YES (for PPV) Influenza NO YES, 6 months and older (annually each flu season)

DTP=diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and pertussis vaccine; DTaP=diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis vaccine; DT=pediatric formulation diphtheria and tetanus toxoids; Td=adult formulation tetanus and diphtheria toxoids; Tdap=adolescent and adult formulation tetanus and diphtheria toxoids and acellular pertussis vaccine (Boostrix for persons 10-64 years old; Adacel for persons 11-64 years old); IPV=inactivated poliovirus vaccine (killed); OPV=oral poliovirus vaccine (live); Hib=Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine; MCV=meningococcal conjugate vaccine; PCV=pneumococcal conjugate vaccine; PPV=pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine.

Adapted from ACIP recommendations.

Please fax to our office at least one week prior to your visit your immunization records so that Dr. Zatzman can review them and let you know what vaccines you will require to get from your family doctor. Our fax number is 289-553-7722.

Immunization Requirements(by age):

Documented written proof of immunization is required in order to fulfill the requirements of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. These are the immunizations required even though they may not correspond to what your doctor or public health department feel are necessary. The Panel Physician has no authority to recommend an exemption from the required immunizations unless there is proof of a valid medical contraindication signed by your doctor. The Panel Physician will accept a verbal declaration that you had chickenpox. However the Panel Physician CANNOT accept a verbal declaration for the other immunization requirements.

Age 65 and Older

Combination Vaccine for:
  • Tetanus Diphtheria (Td)
An initial series of three immunizations a booster immunization within the last 10 years.

or

If you have no proof of a primary series you must begin an adult series of TWO doses of Td 4 to 8 weeks apart with a third dose 6 to 12 months after the second. You must be as up-to-date as possible with the series at the time of your immigration medical.

or

Proof of a Td booster within the 4 weeks prior to your immigration medical examination.

or

An antibody titers blood test showing proof of immunity to tetanus and diptheria.

Pneumoccocal Pneumovax vaccine. Chickenpox (Varicella) A verbal declaration of chickenpox.

or

Proof of immunization against chickenpox. Normally two immunizations 4 to 8 weeks apart or the first of the two within the 4 weeks prior to your immigration medical examination.

or

An antibody titers blood test showing proof of immunity to chickenpox (varicella).

Influenza Required for everyone over 6 months of age (during flu season only)

Ages 18 to 64 years

Combination Vaccine for:

• Tetanus Diphtheria (Td)
  • Tetanus Diphtheria Pertussis
An initial series of three immunizations, which are normally received in childhood at ages 2, 4 and 6 months and a booster immunization within the last 10 years must be documented.

or

If you have no proof of a primary series you must begin an adult series of TWO doses of Td 4 to 8 weeks apart with a third dose 6 to 12 months after the second. You must be as up-to-date as possible with your series at the time of your immigration medical.

or

You must have proof of a Td booster within the 4 weeks prior to your immigration medical.

or

An antibody titers blood test showing proof of immunity to tetanus and diphtheria.

MMR Combination Vaccine for:

• Mumps
  • Measles
  • German Measles (Rubella)
If you were born after 1956 you must show proof of immunization for mumps, measles and German measles

or

An antibody titers blood test showing proof of immunity to MMR (mumps/measles/rubella).

or

You must receive an immunization for MMR.

Chickenpox (Varicella) A verbal declaration of chickenpox.

or

Proof of immunization against chickenpox. Normally two immunizations 4 to 8 weeks apart or the first of the two within the 4 weeks prior to your immigration medical examination.

or

An antibody titers blood test showing proof of immunity to chickenpox (varicella).

Influenza Required for everyone over 6 months of age.(during flu season only) Meningococcal (Menjugate) Required for children age 11 to 18 years.

Pregnant women cannot receive MMR or Chickenpox immunization, but they can receive other vaccines like Td. Pregnant or breastfeeding women or women intending to become pregnant should consult their own doctors prior to attending their Immigrant Visa Medical to review the medically acceptable contraindications for immunization. We cannot exempt people from immunization unless there is a valid contraindication. You do have the option of proving immunity with the appropriate antibody titer blood test. Additional information may be found at various Web Sites. Please discuss this with your personal physician.

Ages 7 to 17 years

Hepatitis B Normally three injections. Dosing schedules may vary depending on brand of vaccine, age and health status of child. Hepatitis B Vaccination. A partial series is acceptable so long as the next injection in the series is not due at the time of the immigration medical.

or

Proof of vaccination not required when there is proof of immunity using an antibody titers blood test.

Combination vaccine for:

• Diphtheria
  • Tetanus
  • Polio
  • Pertussis
Proof of the first three vaccinations normally given at 2, 4, and 6 months, the 18 month booster and the age 4 to 6 year booster, and depending on the child's age, the 14 to 16 year old booster.

or

Proof that your child is as up-to-date as possible with the recommended series.

• Mumps
  • Measles
Primary booster with history of a reinforcing dose at age 4 to 6 years. If no primary vaccination, then must have a MMR within a month of the immigration medical. If history of a primary vaccination must have reinforcing dose prior to the immigration medical. Chickenpox (Varicella) Immunization required if the child has not yet had chickenpox. For those over the age of 13 at the time of initial vaccination, a reinforcing dose is due 4 or more weeks after the primary immunization.

or

A verbal declaration that the person had an infection with chickenpox. Meningococcal (Menjugate) Required for children age 11 to 18 years. Influenza Required for everyone over 6 months of age.(during flu season only)

Ages 4 to 6 years

Hepatitis B Normally three injections. Dosing schedules may vary depending on brand of vaccine and health status of child. Hepatitis B Vaccination. A partial series is acceptable so long as the next injection in the series is not due at the time of the immigration medical.

or

Proof of vaccination not required when there is proof of immunity using an antibody titers blood test.

Combination vaccine for:

• Diphtheria
  • Tetanus
  • Polio
  • Pertussis
  • Hib
Proof of the first three vaccinations normally given at 2, 4 and 6 months of age and the 18 month booster and the age 4 to 6 year old booster.

or

That your child is as far along with the recommended series as possible at the time of the immigration medical.

• Mumps
  • Measles
Age 12 months or older with a reinforcing booster usually given between age 4 to 6 years. If no history of a primary immunization, must have had a MMR within one month of the immigration medical. Chickenpox (Varicella) Immunization required if the child is over the age of 1 and has not had chickenpox.

or

A verbal declaration that the child has had chickenpox infection. Pneumococcal/conjugate Vaccine (Prevnar) Required for children age 2 to 59 months. Influenza Required for everyone over 6 months of age.(during flu season only)

Ages 12 months to 4 years

Hepatitis B Normally three injections. Dosing schedules may vary depending on brand of vaccine and health status of child. Hepatitis B Vaccination. A partial series is acceptable so long as the next injection in the series is not due at the time of the immigration medical.

or

Combination vaccine for:

• Diphtheria
  • Tetanus
  • Polio
  • Pertussis
  • Hib
Proof of the first three vaccinations normally given at 2, 4 and 6 months of age and if the child is 18 months or older, the 18 months booster.

or

That your child is as far along with the recommended series as possible at the time of the immigration medical.

• Mumps
  • Measles
Given as a single injection sometime after the child’s first birthday. Chickenpox (Varicella) If the child has had chickenpox, written documentation is not required. A verbal declaration from the parent or guardian is all that is required.

or

If no history of chickenpox then written proof of immunization against chickenpox is required.

Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (Prevnar) Required for children 2 months of age up to 59 months of age. Hepatitis A Required for children age 12 months to 23 months. Influenza Required for everyone over 6 months of age.(during flu season only)

Ages 2 to 11 months

Hepatitis B

Normally three injections. Dosing schedules may vary depending on brand of vaccine and health status of child. Hepatitis B Vaccination. A partial series is acceptable so long as at the time of the immigration medical the next injection in the series is not due.

or

Show proof of immunity to Hepatitis B on an antibody titers blood test.

Combination Vaccine for:

• Diphtheria
  • Tetanus
  • Polio
  • Pertussis
  • Hib

This series usually begins at age 2 months with a second booster at 4 months and a third at age 6 months. Your child must be as up-to-date as possible with the series at the time of the immigration medical.

Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (Prevnar) Required for children 2 months of age up to 59 months of age. Hepatitis A Required for children age 12 months to 23 months. Rotavirus Required for children age 2 to 6 months. Influenza Required for everyone over 6 months of age.(during flu season only)

Newborns Less than 2 months of age (Birth to 1 month of age)

Your newborn requires:

• Hepatitis B 1st vaccination

or
  • Antibody titer showing immunity to Hepatitis B

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies! So another question and just to clarify- I already had my medical exam and the Dr. said he would send my my med results (that sealed packet and my X-rays) once I get my flu vaccine. Well, the flu vaccine isn't available until about the week before my interview in my area. So, shouldn't the Dr. just put on my paperwork that it isn't available or check the box that says "insufficient time". Because I can get the flu shot before my interview its just, I couldn't get it by the time I had my medical. Will it be an issue at the interview to say "Well at the time of my medical it wasn't available but I got it done last week. Here is my flu vaccine record..." ?

I just don't understand why the Dr. would keep my medical which I NEED to bring to the interview, until I get the flu shot that isn't even available for another month! It will take a few days to get to me in the mail and I want to play it safe and have it on hand a few weeks before my interview date. Anyways, maybe he will just put that on my paperwork. Its not that I am worried about getting the flu shot before my interview, I'm worried that I won't get my completed med results from the Dr. well in advance.

Timeline

I forgot to mention in my earlier message to you that I received a waiver for certain vaccines not being age appropriate for me. It had all the vaccines listed and beside where it said "influenza" it says "not flu season" or something along those lines...I don't recall the number of the waiver and it is packed away now. But maybe something worth asking about.

I picked up my medical results 2 business days after my appointment and the copy of the waiver was attached to the outside of the envelope and I was told that it was for me to keep.

BTW, I think it's crazy that they are hanging on to your results for so long!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.