Andrew83

RFE, needed joint sponsor passport page or birth certificate

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

We got what I guess is an RFE today. It's just a yellow sheet of paper stating that they are unable to continue until the following is corrected and we have 87 days to mail back to them.

It was that they needed proof that the joint sponsor is a US citizen. Funny since my dad is a long time Federal employee and the supporting evidence he sent should be proof enough since it could be easily verified, but it's ok, it's my fault in the end.

It says a birth certificate, but will a notarized copy be ok?

Also our Biometric appointment is Oct. 8th, and hopefully we'll get the EAD a month after if this doesn't slow that down. At least they're looking at our case.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We got what I guess is an RFE today. It's just a yellow sheet of paper stating that they are unable to continue until the following is corrected and we have 87 days to mail back to them.

It was that they needed proof that the joint sponsor is a US citizen. Funny since my dad is a long time Federal employee and the supporting evidence he sent should be proof enough since it could be easily verified, but it's ok, it's my fault in the end.

It says a birth certificate, but will a notarized copy be ok?

Also our Biometric appointment is Oct. 8th, and hopefully we'll get the EAD a month after if this doesn't slow that down. At least they're looking at our case.

Honestly, a regular copy should work unless they specifically requested otherwise.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You need to send documents that he is a US citizen. A photocopy of his US passport or US birth certificate. It does not need to be notarized or be a certified copy. A regular photocopy is fine.

Out of curiosity, what was the proof that you sent it that was deemed insufficient?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It states in the I-864 instructions that a joint sponsor must provide proof of being a USC or LPR and what is accepted as proof. It is on Page 4 of the I-864 instructions, #5. Citizenship/Residency. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

thanks for the help everyone...

Should this slow things down or not you think? We have the biometric Oct 8th so I'm guessing they'll receive my dad's birth certificate the same day we do that. I dunno...Hopefully we'll get her AP by the end of November that's all we care about short term

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

thanks for the help everyone...

Should this slow things down or not you think? We have the biometric Oct 8th so I'm guessing they'll receive my dad's birth certificate the same day we do that. I dunno...Hopefully we'll get her AP by the end of November that's all we care about short term

Not from personal experience but from what I've read around here it should only be a small delay. The time it took you to respond to the RFE and a few more days for its processing, that's it.

Good luck.

AOS Timeline coming from a K-1 Visa:

08/28/2013 - Sent AOS+AP+EAD

08/30/2013 - Delivered to USCIS Chicago

09/05/2013 - Received Email and Text for NOA1 (x3)

09/10/2013 - Received hard copy NOA1 (x3)

09/20/2013 - Biometrics appointment letter received (scheduled for 09/30)

09/23/2013 - Biometrics walk-in in Aurora’s office successful

10/04/2013 - Changed address for all pending forms

10/08/2013 - AOS and EAD touched (address change). AOS status: acceptance->initial review

10/15/2013 - AP touched (address change)

10/30/2013 - AP approved. EAD card in production (bio + 37)

11/05/2013 - EAD card sent

11/07/2013 - EAD/AP combo card received in the mail (71 days since filing for AOS)

11/18/2013 - Changed address for I-485

12/05/2013 - EXPECTED interview/approval of AOS (bio + 73)

12/20/2013 - Potential Interview Waiver received at original filing address

03/03/2014 - Green Card in Production, to be mailed within 30 days

03/06/2014 - Received I-797 for I-485 (AOS), “Welcome to the USA”

03/07/2014 - GC sent by USPS

03/10/2014 - Got 2 year GC in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.