Becky and Les

US Citizen visiting UK Husband. Will there be problems at the UK Border?

23 posts in this topic

Do not lie to them about your marital status. Really. Do not lie.

It is poor advice to recommend that you are visiting a "friend".

When asked the question "what is the purpose of your visit", one can start out by saying "I'm on holiday". That is not a lie. But if they ask where you are staying or who with - better tell them it's husband/boyfriend. It is not a crime to visit a loved one in the UK. Honesty is the best policy.

Same when someone is coming from the UK to the US. Don't tell lies.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I thought this thread was about a USC visiting their fiancé in the UK?! This is the opposite.

Actually, if you'd bothered to read my post, you'll see it IS a USC visiting me in the UK for 4 months. Hence the "ME (UK citizen"). >.>

Also fully agree - do not lie about your marital status or who you are intending to visit.

Edited by QueenOfBlades

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Actually, if you'd bothered to read my post, you'll see it IS a USC visiting me in the UK for 4 months. Hence the "ME (UK citizen"). >.>

Also fully agree - do not lie about your marital status or who you are intending to visit.

My bad!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Never lie to an Immigration officer,two of my friends are IO's and both say that a lie found out signals a red flag and leads to heavy scrutiny and pisses them off big time,it really annoys them and they automatically think refusal , they then wonder what else you are attempting to deceive them about,they have the last word on refused entry so dont do it !! I visited my US fiance 3 times while the K1 was being processed and although nerves going through border control are a fact of life ( i got really nervous the 1st time), i never really had a problem.IO's are the same everywhere,they want to know if you will be leaving and the reason for your visit,so bring proof of ties to home,even a car parked at airport parking is good ( i never had to show my proof,i even offered my portfollio of proof the first time, but was told,'''no thats ok im satisfied with your answers,have a great time sirrrrr'').Several prior visits and returning home are good they will see that,they will ask questions like have you visited before ? remember the dates you came previously or the number of times,its on their screen but they like to check your answer,i was asked what work i do in the UK,so bring proof of your work,unemployed people in love can be an issue.Dress smart and be confidant,you are visiting your loved one and you intend to leave with your return ticket,and the date of the return is...? they have people in love coming through all day,every day,internet romances where the people havent yet met and havent been before are the ones that come up as red flags,the US isnt a country that is seen as high risk for illegals so try to relax,

best wishes

My USC fiance just entered to visit me on the weekend. I asked him if he'd been given a hard time (this is his 4th visit in the last year) and the answer was no. The only thing he was tripped up on was 'when did he last visit' and being jetlagged and groggy he couldn't remember until the immigration guy prompted him 'was it possibly in May...?'

I've had to answer a few questions from time to time but never had any issue or needed to provide the additional supporting documents showing I had a job, mortgage etc. I don't think saying you are visiting friends or anything other than the truth is a bad idea. We each travelled back and forth regularly when we were dating, I visited my husband after we wed and were waiting for his visa and we both go back regularly to see the family. I don't know why you would apply for a visa. It is not necessary. You just need a valid passport and a return ticket. You should be fine. You may be overthinking it. ;)

I've had to answer a few questions from time to time but never had any issue or needed to provide the additional supporting documents showing I had a job, mortgage etc. I don't think saying you are visiting friends or anything other than the truth is a bad idea. We each travelled back and forth regularly when we were dating, I visited my husband after we wed and were waiting for his visa and we both go back regularly to see the family. I don't know why you would apply for a visa. It is not necessary. You just need a valid passport and a return ticket. You should be fine. You may be overthinking it. wink.png

And an approved ESTA of course. They'll get stopped at Heathrow (or Gatwick, or wherever else) before they hit the Check-In desk if they don't have that or a valid visa.

"What's yours is mine!"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you're working on the Visa process for him to come to the states, bring copies of any documentation from USCIS that shows you're in the process.

I've visited my fiancee twice in England and not had a second glance and no hassle though.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.