3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am super stressed out as due to stupidity I made a huge mistake.

My wife is a USC, we got married in 2005 in London and she has been here ever since. We have had a child who is now 7 and who is also a USC.

I used to live in the States for study and have been married before in the States but got divorced as it wasn't working. Applied for the process at the Sacramento immigration office. We never got the interview letter as we moved, so they said we have to reapply. That't when we just left ways as I mentioned, it wasn't working out.

We have now applied for my visa so we can move to the States. Everything was going fine up until i admitted to smoking pot at the London medical. It was very recent and she made me take a urine test (which will come positive).

I now know that this is a huge thing and most likely will deny me a visa. I am waiting for my interview date which should hopefully be withing the next month.

If denied, then I have been made aware of the I-601 Waiver. I know that one must show extreme hardship. My wife just can't bear it here in the UK anymore and if finding it depressing. She is starting to get anxiety. The relationship between her and my family (we all live together) is not good. My daughter has Vitiligo (condition that causes depigmentation of sections of skin) and the doctors say that to be in a county which a lot of sunlight is good. This is one of the main reasons in moving.

Now you know a little, my questions are:

1. Any advice when I am at the Interview?

2. Have you heard of someone smoking pot but has been approved?

3. If i have to file the I-601, do you know of any really good attorneys that could help?

4. Does anyone have any examples of filing this?

5. If denied, can i travel to the US as a visitor?

6. Should I start preparing personal statements for the waiver and get doctor reports together?

Any other info would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Laurel Scott specializes in waivers. This page (scroll down) has good info about hardships and evidence for supporting. http://www.scottimmigration.net/content/i601memo

You can't use VWP but could apply for a visitor visa, which they deny frequently in London, especially since they ask about substance abuse.

You could get into rehab and document drug tests for a year or so and maybe try again.

Just curious--did you not know that drug users are inadmissable to the United States when you raised your hand at Knightsbridge and said you were a user?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.