Cheryl-Hossein

USC traveling to Iran with Husband

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

We're just on the NOA2 stage of the K-1 visa process, but I'm thinking ahead to when I can travel to Iran after we are married. Here's what I've read and the particulars of our situation:

Though my fiancé is Iranian, he is not a practicing Muslim, and I am also secular. From what I've read, Iran will not recognize our marriage for purposes of travel and I will have to convert in order to travel with him as husband and wife and to get a visa. From what I understand, it's easy to get a Muslim certificate of marriage and just requires a few words and a signature. Is this done at a mosque? With the certificate, I'll still need a visa to travel, but it's also possible to apply for an Iranian passport through the Pakistan embassy in Washington DC.

I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through this process, and any pro/cons you may have experienced with getting either a Muslim certificate of marriage or an Iranian passport. It seems everyone who travels in Iran only has positive things to say, and I'm so hopeful for the positive steps our two countries seem to be making to heal old wounds.

Filed: Timeline

I don't know the answer or how's your relationship,

just out of curiosity since U are secular , do u know

the dress codes, state Dept warnings, and once in this

muslim marriage & country, he's in control?...oh'I wonder

don't spouses needs exit visas?....just wanting to learn

but I hope U do enjoy the trip if U should go

Timeline

I do know about the dress codes and State Dept warnings. Neither of those things concern me at all. Persian women are so very stylish. I'm also not worried about any control issues. When I say he's not a practicing Muslim, he's only considered Muslim because everyone's passports in Iran say they are Muslim. He's as secular as I am. And we're a partnership of equals.

Not sure about the exit visas. I assume the embassy or consulate can walk me through that. I really just want to do whatever is easiest for both of us. If that means getting an Iranian passport, that's what I'll do.

I'll definitely go once everything is legal. I'm learning Farsi too. I want to be able to communicate with his parents and friends.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

I don't think it's as complicated as it seems. Americans are welcome to visit but they just don't make it easy or roll out the red carpet (as the US also doesn't make it easy - fair is fair). Yes you will probably need to do a religious marriage and send that over to the "Consulate" (IE: Interests Section) for them to "officiate" it. This should be done by your husband anyway so that your marriage can be validated in Iran. The same is needed for my fiance's home country for a foreign spouse to obtain a visit visa. This is only so that you can prove you are religiously married for their purposes. You can do a simple ceremony with an imam - does not need to be in a mosque but you will need a marriage certificate from the Imam or the mosque he is affiliated with as you've discovered. Here are some links I found:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/iran/practical-information/visas

http://www.daftar.org/eng/ <- Interests Section of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Washington DC. These are the guys you want to contact about obtaining a visitor visa. According to Lonely Planet you may need to badger them a whole bunch and maybe apply more than once before you get it.

Obtaining an Iranian passport sounds like a whole big hassle but if you are legally entitled to it and you want it then why not. I wish you good luck!

Edit: I always ignore State Department warnings as a general rule. All the stamps on my passport attest to that. Best to always consult with local people because they'll give you the real deal rather than politically motivated BS.

Edited by Sarah and Adnan

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Timeline

Thanks Sarah --

That definitely helps ease my mind. I'm very excited about our future visits, and I just want to make the logistics as easy as possible.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Last Friday night I got married to my wife(Iranian Citizen) again, this time our Islamic Ceremony. I also had to become a Muslim, again, since I did not have the signed document with witnesses from when I reverted 5 years ago. It was all very easy and simple. We just contacted a Shia mosque and they were happy to help us with all the required forms. If you are interested in what you need to register your marriage and get your visa to go to Iran, please visit www.daftar.org. You should see the link to the English page on the upper right side if your Farsi is anything like mine, you will need the English language site. Then click on the Vital Records link.

I can help you as much as I know since I am currently trying to register our marriage and get my visa. It is a little different in my case with a Persian wife and foreign husband.

Good luck and best wishes.

Chuck

Edited by ChuckM

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

It's beyond easy, when you convert, you could get married the same day you go to the mosque to convert, there are forms on the Iran's office's website you can fill, you mail it in along with your husbands passport and birth certificate and required documents, get your iranian passport, and when you do get your passport, you won't need any visas or anything of that sort. By converting you will be doing the right way. You'll keep the traditional Iranians you might meet in Iran happy, and the seculars will understand your decision to convert for the sake of being able to visit and will appreciate your effort

Timeline

Thanks Chuck and The Last Petitioner ---

Your responses are exactly what I was hoping for. Just one last question -- do I need to take any classes to convert? I think I read on some website that we might be required to take some kind of marriage counseling classes.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Yw. When your fiancé comes here, you can go to the closest center or mosque around you and talk to the imam there. In Iran itself, they really don't care about the depth of your understanding of the religion , because Islam has gotten bashed for so long and so often that they assume if a foreigner wants to convert, they know what they are doing . It's not something people do on a whim. I don't know how it is in America tho, since I don't practice myself either .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Cheryl, visit this website: http://www.daftar.org - Hussain can call & talk to them also. They are helpful. This is website of the interest section of Iran in the USA. You can download all the forms and info that you need for registering your marriage in the Iranian way and stuff like that. Don't worry, you are not the first American woman that is married to an Iranian man. They know how to handle it.

I'm counting the seconds...

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

I-129F Sent : 2009-04-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-07

NVC Received : 2009-08-10

NVC Left : 2009-08-14

Consulate Received : 2009-08-17

Packet 3 & 4 Received : 2009-09-20

Interview Date : 2009-12-21

Rescheduled the date to: 2010-01-24

Interview Result :put on an AP

Visa Approved: 2010-02-11

Visa Received :2010-03-16

US Entry : 2010-03-18

Marriage : 2010-05-25

CHECK MY TIME LINE FOR REST OF INFO.

Timeline

We won't be doing this until after we're legally married in the US and well into his AOS. This is just for down the road when we go visit his family in Iran.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I don't know the answer or how's your relationship,

just out of curiosity since U are secular , do u know

the dress codes, state Dept warnings, and once in this

muslim marriage & country, he's in control?...oh'I wonder

don't spouses needs exit visas?....just wanting to learn

but I hope U do enjoy the trip if U should go

there is no "dress code" unless you are in Saudi Arabia. Hijabs and abayas do not need to be worn by non Muslim women, in fact where my husband is from, many Muslim women don;t wear them either. The only advice I can give is to dress conservatively. And what do you mean by he will be in control? You really need to stop believing everything you read on the internet. My husband is Muslim, I am Catholic, and our marriage is 100% equal. SMH

Edited by mimolicious

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.