5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
I've been lurking around here and decided to post our own AOS journey from filing to decision. If it helps just one couple out there like us then I'll be very happy. Thank you VJ.
Our story :
I am a USC and my wife is Japanese with an F1 visa . We met online November 2012, fell head-over-heels and got married March 2013 . We started reading up on this AOS thing, joined Visajourney of course and saved enough money to mail in our concurrent applications. Below I will just give the highlights and lowlights ,things that stick out in my head and what I guess I've learned form the whole experience. Here goes …
2013-04-24 : mailed concurrent AOS,I-130,AP & EAD package
Thanks to VJ I was able to put together a package that went from mailing to interview without an RFE. One thing I should mention is my wife's Japanese and they don't have birth certificates but instead have a family registry called "KOSEKI". My wife translated it herself and attached a certification.
2013-04-26 : NOA on 4 receipts
Enrolled all 4 receipts on the USCIS website and immediately started refreshing every 5 mins. ,lol.
2013-04-30 : ASC appointment notice for biometrics at USCIS Buena Park,CA for 2013-05-16
My wife tried to walk in but was turned away at the Buena Park,CA office.
2013-05-07 : successful walk-in biometric in USCIS Gardena, CA
We actually found on YELP a review that the Gardena,CA office is lenient and usually allows walk-ins so wifey went there and biometrics was done ,no problem.
2013-05-23 : AOS interview appointment notice received for 2013-06-26
2013-06-26 : AOS interview at Santa Ana,CA office with no decision and "notice of continuance" letter given saying case is "being held for review" (i-94 removed from passport by IO)
I brought in the standard proofs of the bona fides of marriage like pictures,insurance docs , copies of correspondences and based on the questions the IO kept asking I believe his main issues were :
A) we we married so quickly right after meeting ( 5 months)
B) we brought him one savings account statement with one deposit from when we opened account a few weeks earlier which hindsight is really not enough evidence of co-mingling of funds
C) It was just 2 of us in the wedding in Vegas and almost all our pictures were of the 2 of us and maybe a couple with my parents
D) He asked "Did you guys make any major purchases after wedding and if I asked for proof would you have it?" and "If I sent someone to your house after 6PM would you both be there?"
He then took my wife's i-94 and handed us the " Notice of Continuance" (ATTACHED HERE ON THIS POST) saying he could not make a decision but will let us know in 180 days or less. That same day the USCIS website put my AOS and I-130 receipts back to "Initial Review". I was hoping this is due to background checks . Oh how naive I was,lol.
2013-08-27 : Second interview notice ! Received USCIS Form G-56 notice (ATTACHED HERE ON THIS POST) saying "reason: aos interview" for 2013-09-16
Please see attached G-56 to see what IO requested . Upon receiving the notice we were not sure if it meant a second interview like a Stokes interview as I've learned here or if it was just a general call-in to bring additional docs.We decided to consult a couple of immigration lawyers to get some advise and figure out what they are looking for. First atty. said most likely it will just be to review bank statement and affidavits from friend and family and unlikely a Stokes . He said bring only what they asked for . Second atty. we saw said be ready for a Stokes interview and bring not just what he asked for but more proofs you can get your hand on. Both said affidavits have to be personal, letter format not templates and from USC or LPR with proofs attached. I paid $ 100 and $ 50 respectively.
2013-09-16 : Stokes interview from 2:30PM to 5:00PM

---I.O. called my name and as my wife was standing up to come with me he said "oh,only you " and immediately my heart sank ,lol

---I.O. swore me in and then took about 2 seconds to look over everything I brought plus some

---I.O. then said "ok, this is voluntary... you don't have to do it..but I am going to ask you a few questions about 15-30 ...is that ok..do you consent" . I ,of course said yes

---My portion took about 50 minutes and here's how it went as best as I can remember...

What is your name,wife name?
When were you born ,your wife?
Where were you born ,your wife?
What is your address ?
Where do you work,where does your wife work ?
What company do you work for,your wife?
When did she start working there (on first interview my wife was not working yet)?
How much is your salary?
What is your pay period ?
What is your schedule ?
Do you ever work weekends?
What is your work phone number?
Have you recently traveled outside the US?
Has your wife recently traveled outside the US ?
What car do you drive,is it paid off?
What car does your wife drive ,is it paid off ?
How did you celebrate your wife's birthday,where, any gifts ,where did you eat?
How did you and your wife celebrate your birthday,any gifts,where did you eat?
How long was it between the time you met your wife til you got married ?
How many people in the house ?
What are the names of the other people that you live with?
AFTER ALL THESE QUESTIONS HE PAUSED,LOOKED AT HIS CALENDAR AND AS SOON AS I THOUGHT WE WERE DONE HE SAID " NOW LET'S START ON FRIDAY... "
So on Friday,who woke up first?
What time?
Did you take a shower?
What time did your wife wake up?
Who came home first,what time?
Did you have dinner together ,what time ?
What did you eat ?
Who cooked ?
Did you go out afterwards ?
HE WENT ON TO DO THE SAME FOR SATURDAY AND SUNDAY AND IT JUST SO HAPPENS ALL 3 DAYS WERE HECTIC
He was typing everything I was saying and he printed about 4 pages. He asked me to read each page,make sure everything he typed is what I said and initial bottom of each page and sign. I made one correction but he was pretty much verbatim. He then asked me is there anything I wanted to add . I said I love my wife..I wanna spend my life with her etc. He then said that is not really related to the interview " but I will take that into consideration".
He then went over my pics that I brought and asked me when some were taken. I kinda wanted to go over the bank statements and other docs I brought in but he said it was getting late and he needed to get us done and he will review them later . He needed to talk to my wife. It was 3:30 at that point.
I came out and made sure I gave my wife a big smile to kinda calm her down a bit. I was really nervous because at that point I was thinking I gave too much detail. There's no way my wife can remember all of that,especially the times ( I made sure though that whenever he asked me what time I answered 'from about this time to this time' to kinda give my wife a buffer zone and he was ok with it)
My wife was in there for about 45 minutes. I was ready to go back in there when she came out . I read somewhere that if there are discrepancies they may give us a chance to explain them . But then he came out with our passports, said " I will review your documents and either make a decision or request additional documents" . Again my heart sank. I really wanted a decision at that point ,good or bad. Me and my wife compared our answers on the drive home and we were pretty spot on except for about 3 to 4 details which is pretty good for a full account of what we did for 3 days hour to hour.
9/18/13 4:00PM :
I received this notificaiton :
"Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS
Your Case Status: Card/ Document Production
On September 18, 2013, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283. "
2013-09-19 : APPROVED letter received dated 2013-09-18
So there it is. Our AOS journey. Let it be a cautionary tale if you will . Again thank you VJ for being a mouse click away during those nerve-wracking ,long 6 months .

post-158270-0-66795800-1380001288_thumb.png

post-158270-0-58327100-1380001305_thumb.png

Edited by noodles

AOS

2013-03-31 : F1 Student and USC got married

2013-04-21 : Joined Visajourney.com

2013-04-24 : mailed concurrent AOS,I-130,AP & EAD package

2013-04-26 : NOA on 4 receipts

2013-04-30 : ASC appointment notice for biometrics at USCIS Buena Park,CA for 2013-05-16

2013-05-07 : successful walk-in biometric in USCIS Gardena, CA

2013-05-23 : AOS interview appointment notice received for 2013-06-26

2013-06-26 : AOS interview at Santa Ana,CA office with no decision and "notice of continuance" letter given saying case is "being held for review" (i-94 removed from passport by IO)

2013-08-27 : Second interview notice ! (received USCIS Form G-56 notice saying "reason: aos interview" for 2013-09-16)

2013-09-16 : Stokes interview from 2:30PM to 5:00PM and afterwards still no decision

2013-09-19 : APPROVED letter received dated 2013-09-18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from AOS/Family-Based main forum to the "AOS from WS&T Visas" Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am so nervous after reading this. Congrats though!

J-1 student for 2007-2008, F-1 student since 2008 for high school, then full-time undergraduate degree from 2009-present, renewed F1 early on in 2013.

06/26/13 No more DOMA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/14/13 Mailed out the packet with (I-130, I-485, I-131, I-864, I-693, I-765)

09/16/13 (day 2) Arrived at Chicago Lockbox

09/23/13 (day 9) Received Hardcopy of receipt for I-485, I-765, and I-131

10/3/13 (day 19) Biometrics given to USCIS

11/27/13 (day 63) Interview Appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.