Dane and Liuda

K1 Fiancee arrived ill what about extensions?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have not been able to sleep and I am again out of bed and searching for information about a unique situation.

For background I went to the Ukraine in 2002 and returned in 2005, last Fall I met Liuda and we really fell in love almost instantly, but we are both extremely slow and cautious people who have both been hurt before so want always to be really more sure than is even possible! We dated 15 times in her home city of Kharkov only because I stayed an extra 2 weeks, and even then we got engaged the last day. Actually I asked her the night before leaving and she answered yes when she came to go along to the airport to see me off. We went through 11 months of agony missing each other horribly even after I got an immigration lawyer to help go through the complex process for a fiancee visa. That is called a K1 and her 15 yr old son is here also on what is called a K2 visa.

Like any couple first living together we had a few bumps since we were living together but not same bedroom immediately, plus she was always tired and felt lousy most days while over there she had worked 70 hrs while we dated. We now know most of the problem since she arrived and even now were because she arrived with walking pneumonia, she has been on antibiotics for 3 weeks now but is not that much better. She is of course scared and homesick like anyone is when in a new Country and thpse feelings are increased many fold by her being ill and feeling so bad. They only give you 90 days and ours is up Christmas Day, but according to the Dr she could not medically even travel back now if she wanted to return and she has been and is too sick to date normally and think about the wedding let alone get married.

The lawyer keeps saying to protect myself you must marry by the 90 days or it will be a real mess, but we have no choice now with her illness anyway we would decide. Unless we marry on Christmas and then end it later maybe if we decide? But the lawyer even wanted me to "cut her loose" when she went to a friends to be near a doctor friend treating her for free, the lawyer is worried about tricks that could land me in trouble, but that stuff happens mostly in big cities and is not really our situation. We are both just going nuts about the deadline and she is pretty weak still

We are both just going nuts about the deadline and she is pretty weak still

I don't quite understand why you two can't just get married in a small ceremony (even in your own home if your wife can't leave) now- and have a nice big wedding later when she's feeling better?

That at least would take the deadline- stress away...

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

There is no way to extend the visa beyond the 90 days, you either marry or she becomes out of status.

If she becomes out of status, and you marry her when out of status, you will then have to file and I-130 at the same time as the I-485, and the process will take a bit longer and cost more $$.

See: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would go with the lawyer.

A K1 is not for dating.

Unfortunately you will find many similar cases posted on here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
The lawyer keeps saying to protect myself you must marry by the 90 days or it will be a real mess, but we have no choice now with her illness anyway we would decide. Unless we marry on Christmas and then end it later maybe if we decide? But the lawyer even wanted me to "cut her loose" when she went to a friends to be near a doctor friend treating her for free, the lawyer is worried about tricks that could land me in trouble, but that stuff happens mostly in big cities and is not really our situation. We are both just going nuts about the deadline and she is pretty weak still

Unfortunately your lawyer might be right - protect yourself. There very well could be "tricks". And that stuff can happen anywhere, not just in big cities like you believe. I would suggest not marrying now and when she is well enough to travel, send her home to finish getting over her illness and if you are still in a long distance relationship, see how it goes. I get the impression you are not getting along well - that is not a good place to be in when gettting married.

I am sorry to hear of your situation. I hope everything works out for the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The phrase "walking pneumonia" refers to a group of pneumonias that, even if untreated, would not confine someone to a hospital, or even to a bed. They can, however, make someone feel miserable with a severe cough, fever, chills, headache, and abdominal pain. Dr. Green's Website

I don't see how this would stop someone getting to a Courthouse is you were head-over-heels in love with someone. The ceremony only takes 15 minutes and I know that I could have been dying and I would have made it to marry my husband.

It sounds to me that you two are just not ready for marriage. Your "courtship" was rushed, IMO, and unless she is a very religious person, then I don't see why you are not sharing a bedroom if your intention is to marry within the requried 90 days.

You also have the boy to think of. If his mother isn't happy, for whatever reason, and she is missing home, she will be passing that feeling on to her son. It is not fair on him to drag him through this - it just doesn't sound like a particularly happy scenario, from what you have said.

I wouldn't marry any time soon - I just don't think either of you are ready. I would send her home, when she is well enough to travel, and if you two are really meant to be things will work out fine.

Good luck!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

No extensions. Get her to the courthouse and get married. I'll bet if you arrange it with them in advance, it won't take more than 15 minutes, and surely she can muster up enough strength to do that. Its a better alternative than not meeting the 90 day requirement and possibly having her sent home.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
(F) Her system being strained she wont respond until she is more content and happy. I would think some quick ceremony could take place even if in the house, dont belive this was a time for LETS SEE HOW IT GOES either you do or you dont. Once i also had this and was still working, takes a while but not usually a forever thing.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Like any couple first living together we had a few bumps since we were living together but not same bedroom immediately, plus she was always tired and felt lousy most days while over there she had worked 70 hrs while we dated.
I do not get this one. If your are so in love and asked her to marry you then waited 11 months for the K1 process for her to get there, why the separate bedrooms and what does her working 70 hours a week before she got there have to do with anything?

We now know most of the problem since she arrived and even now were because she arrived with walking pneumonia, she has been on antibiotics for 3 weeks now but is not that much better.
You mention later that she went to a friends to see a doctor for free? Are you sure she is sick? Or is this possibly a scam... this and the separate beds are two red flags to me! You also stated "MOST" indicationg there are more issues???
They only give you 90 days and ours is up Christmas Day, but according to the Dr she could not medically even travel back now if she wanted to return and she has been and is too sick to date normally and think about the wedding let alone get married.
Everyone here gets the same 90 days and the K1 is in good fait approved because of your intention to marry, not date and wait and see 90 day trial period. Again, what doctor? I have had walking pneumonia and while I was tired, I was not bed-ridden and it did not keep me out of work more than the first 72 hours of taking meds.

But the lawyer even wanted me to "cut her loose" when she went to a friends to be near a "doctor friend" treating her for free, the lawyer is worried about tricks that could land me in trouble, but that stuff happens mostly in big cities and is not really our situation. We are both just going nuts about the deadline and she is pretty weak still

Who is this "doctor friend" have you met him/her? What doctor treats people for free in the U.S.? I agree with your lawyer, this is the 3rd Red Flag in this post that you have let us know about. 1) Separate bed after 11 months of waiting 2) A friends doctor for free treatment 3) Too weak to marry someone you are in love with....

If she was really going nuts, she would make this happen. I have made 5 trips to see my fiancee this year alone... I scraped every dollar and scammed every day off I can get to get there.... she is not putting enough effort and not displaying good faith in the relationship you think is going so well. I think you already know the answer and that is the reason you posted this here. JMHO Payato

Edited by Ken_Maria

"Better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!"

Timeline:

22 Jul 06 - Received NOA-1

18 Sep 06 - Received NOA2 in mail

11 Oct 06 - Case MNL783xxx received by Manila Embassy... guess NVC lied

26 Dec 06 - Received Packet 4

18-19 Jan 07 - Medical complete early, scheduled 8 Feb

19 Jan - CFO completed after SLE shots... have to go back for the stamp after visa approval

15 Feb 07 - Interview Approved

24 Feb 07 - Arrive at Honolulu POE

2 Apr 07 - Married, civil ceremony, mailed AOS

17 Apr 07 - Checks cashed for AOS & AP

22 Apr 07 - Filed Expedite for AP

8 May 07 - Biometrics Appt

8 May 07 - Filed complaint with local USCIS for no action on Expedite request

9 May 07 - AP Expedite approved via email

14 May 07 - received AP I-512L documents in the mail

25 Jun 07 - AOS Interview scheduled but cancelled due to deployment and family emergency

29 Nov 07 - Visited local USCIS to reschedule AOS interview

15 Jan 08 - Local USCIS finally forwards reschedule request after formal complaint

8 Feb 08 - Received new Interview date

28 Mar 08 - AOS Interview ..investigation reopened due to incorrect birthdate that was identified 05/07

16 Apr 08 - CRIS Notice of GC approval and welcome notice via email

25 Apr 08 - GC received finally!

15 Jan 10 - Mailed Lifting of Conditions Package

19 Jan 10 - Package received at VT USCIS

22 Jan 10 - Checked cashed by USCIS

26 Jan 10 - Received NOA dated 20 Jan 10

29 Jan 10 - Received NOA for Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It seems to be that the biggest issue here is that you are having second thoughts on marrying her, as yourlself stated that "should we marry now and end it later if it goes that way?". If you two are sure about what you two want I'd think her being sick wouldn't prevent you two getting married but if there are other issues present, you need to work on that and decide on what's best.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Do not get married if you are not ready for it. Marriage is more important than a visa or being in compliance with the rules. K1 is not for dating but assumes you are reay for marriage but if you are not, then let her go back and refile if and when you are both ready or look for another person. Whatever you do, do not get married if you are not ready - that will be worse than trying to refile for K1 or K3 etc. later on

I had walking Pneumonia once - It is extremely weakening and I do not agree with Girona's definitions - when I had it, I could not even hold a glass of water in my hand (dropped it on the sink trying to lift it - don't ask me how I drank the water and swallowed my pills) - only after 2 and a half days was I able to walk and function. But no matter what - Do not get married if you are not ready, most people seeem to be stuck on the visa angle and not the 'life' angle. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

YOur situation sounds fishy. I would just send her home. As the others have said K-1 visa is not for dating it is to get married. Don't marry her if you are not sure. It sounds like she doesn't want it very much either. Sometimes the truth is right infront of our faces. :blink:

11/27/2006 Filed I-129F

12/01/06 received at CSC NOA1

12/09/06 checked cleared

02/28/07 touched!

02/28/07 NOA2 via email 3 of them!!!!

03/01/07 touched

03/09/07 NOA2 received via snail mail

03/20/07 Received email from Sydney that packet 3 should be mailed out tomorrow

03/26/07 Fiance received packet 3

4/26/07 Fiance medical appointment

5/01/07 New date of medical appointment

5/14/07 Fiance interview date!

VISA APPROVED!

6/8/07 My fiance arrives in America

7/14/07 Wedding day!

If they chose to sleep in seperate beds that's their perogative and doesn't say anything about the validity of their relationship, it just says something about their values/morals/belief system. Perhaps they'd be living in seperate apartments if things were different, but this visa process and finances usually don't leave too much room to make that possible.

Anyway. Dane, there's no way out of marrying her in the 90 day time period unless you want her to go out of status or to go home. See if you can arrange for someone who can marry you two coming to the home, or see if you can set up a quick courthouse marriage - she can even sit down the whole time. Make it romantic and carry her to and from the car - ok I'm kidding on this one, trying to make you laugh a little. Worry about the big, elegant, romantic ceremony later... for now just do what you need to do to keep her here. If you do still want her to be your wife, that is. :) If you don't, then that's a whole different ballpark all together.

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

WOW! Many responses for you Dane. NONE of them are really encouraging you to "stay the course". All I can add is :yes:. I agree with everyone of them. Too many red flags here. I think I would be running scared if I were you.

When I think of my beloved coming here, I think of days and nights full of passion and happiness that we are together at last. :jest::jest: I think nothing short of a coma could stop the feelings of joy we will share. I do NOT think of seperate bedrooms and her going to stay with a "friend" (for ANY reason). If this happned to me, I would let my logic over ride my emotion, and get her on the next plane home before she was out-of-status and creating the chance she could not stay here. Then decide if there was anything to salvage.

Best of luck to you!!!

Randy

6/14/06 - I-129f packet ready to send

6/15/06 - Decided to delay sending and use new form when available

6/28/06 - Finally mailed to Nebraska Service Center

7/20/06 - NOA1

9/20/06 - Touched for the very first time

9/21/06 - Email NOA2 wooohhooo faster than we had hoped for

9/25/06 - Snail Mail NOA2

9/25/06 - Received at NVC, verified with phone call

9/27/06 - Sent to embassy in Bangkok! Hoping my love will be here for the holidays!!!

9/30/06 - Arrived at embassy and waiting for packet 3

10/24/06 - Finally recieved packet 3

11/22/06 - Packet 3 sent to BKK embassy

11/24/06 - Embassy received packet 3

01/08/07 - Received packet 4 from BKK embassy

01/29/07 - Embassy Interview

01/30/07 - VISA in hand!!

02/05/07 - Returning to states with POE @ SFO

04/05/07 - Filed AOS

04/13/07 - NOA for I-485

06/15/07 - Biometrics

03/25/08 - Interview Date

04/04/08 - GC Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

my fiance was sick too when he got here. it started with a cold then a neverending cough. he was on antibiotics for about 1 week and then another 2 weeks when the first set of antibiotics did not do its job. we were suppose to get married about 3 weeks when he got here but we decided to wait until he's off his meds and feeling better. your fiancee's reasons to wait to get married before she gets better is valid...although the sleeping in separate beds (unless she has a highly communicable disease) and her staying away and living with a friend to be close to a doctor that gives free medical assistance (how lucky she is to have that. my fiance did not have insurance so everything was paid up front in cash. =( )...is somewhat suspect. even you yourself has some doubts about it. think this over many, many times. good luck!

Fate is building a bridge of chance for the one you love...

K1 (I-129F) to CSC to Manila Embassy, Philippines

Sent : 01-28-2006 / Interview: 09-14-2006 / POE: 10-11-2006 / Applied for SSN card: 11-17-2006 / Received SSN card: 11-27-2006 / Got Hitched: 11-09-2006 !!!

AOS and EAD Application

Sent via USPS Priority: 11-28-2006 / Received @ Chicago: 12-01-2006 / NOA1 AOS & EAD: 12-06-2006 / Biometrics Appt: 12-22-2006 / Interview Date: 03-13-2007 / EAD Card Production Ordered: 02-15-2007 / EAD Card Sent: 02-20-2007 / EAD Card Received: 02-22-2007

[Approved: 03-13-2007 / GC Received: 03-22-2007 / CA License Issued: 04-12-2007 / Removing Conditions: 12-13-2008]

Removing Conditions

Sent via USPS Priority: 12-19-2008 / Received @ CSC: 12-22-2008 / NOA: 12-25-2008 / Biometrics Appt: 01-14-2009 / Card Production ordered: 02-13-2009 / GC Received: sometime in March 2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.