Tradewind

Birth certificate question

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife's birth certificate is in Colombia at her family's home. Can her father scan it and send it to us so we can use that in the I-130 application? That would be a copy, correct?

It needs to be a certified copy which means from whichever officials deal with the register of births. That would include the original birth certificate or an official copy, the best thing to do is probably to get the family to send it. I think most couriers offer a document service.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

NO FRIKING SCANED . you can have it in your hand in short time , a friend of mine contacted AVIANCA and this airline from Colombia help him to have a document quick

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My wife's birth certificate is in Colombia at her family's home. Can her father scan it and send it to us so we can use that in the I-130 application? That would be a copy, correct?

Okay for your I-130 petition the beneficiary does not need to submit Birth certificate (even though I have heard some local offices ask).

At the USCIS level a copy of birth certificate is fine. So yes they can scan it. HOWEVER a few months down the road you will have to have that original sent to NVC they REQUIRE the original or certified copy of original.

But again yes with your I-130 submission a photocopy/scan copy is fine.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Okay for your I-130 petition the beneficiary does not need to submit Birth certificate (even though I have heard some local offices ask).

At the USCIS level a copy of birth certificate is fine. So yes they can scan it. HOWEVER a few months down the road you will have to have that original sent to NVC they REQUIRE the original or certified copy of original.

But again yes with your I-130 submission a photocopy/scan copy is fine.

Another question, does the birth certificate have to be translated at the USCIS level need to be translated from Spanish? She has her passport here and we can copy the pages easily for the 1st stage but does it have to be translated (the passport) too. I know we have to do all this later (translate the birth cert.) but want to get it in within a few days. I hate paying $50.00 to get a few lines translated on the passport when the birthdate, picture and name are obvious.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Another question, does the birth certificate have to be translated at the USCIS level need to be translated from Spanish? She has her passport here and we can copy the pages easily for the 1st stage but does it have to be translated (the passport) too. I know we have to do all this later (translate the birth cert.) but want to get it in within a few days. I hate paying $50.00 to get a few lines translated on the passport when the birthdate, picture and name are obvious.

You don't have to send anything but the G325A and passport pic of the beneficiary. Her passport and birth certificate is not asked for.

Read instructions you will see. You can send in now if you have all your stuff together.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

On the VJ website it shows on #7 proof of birth is needed for the I-130. Is this up to date?

Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist
Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.):

1. Payment as required by USCIS. Use a money order so you can track the payment. If a personal check is allowed, use that instead. 2. Cover Letter. Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-130), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet. 3. Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative 4. Copy of the Full Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport. This is used to establish citizenship. 5. A copy of petitioner's proof of naturalization. (If applicable) 6. A copy of petitioner's proof of permanent residency. (If applicable) 7. A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate and/or passport along with English translation. (If in any language other than English) 8. A certified copy of your certified marriage certificate (again, translated if not in Engligh) 9. A certified official copy of the petitioner's and/or intending immigrant's divorce documents. (If one or both of you have been divorced before) 10. A copy of a prior spouse's death certificate. (If filing for a spouse, and one or both have you were married before, and the prior spouse died) 11. G-325A filled out by the US Citizen, signed and dated. 12. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the US Citizen. Write the full name on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a. 13. G-325A filled out by the foreign spouse signed and dated. 14. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign spouse. Write the full name of the beneficiary on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a. 15. Evidence of a bonafide marriage (see note below for what to include)

Timeline

I went to the instructions for I-130 at the USCIS and it does not require proof of birth for my spouse. VJ checklist shows you need it for the I-130. hmmmmmmmm

I know we till eventually need the birth certificate for my wife

We are filing the I-130 now and then in a month or 2, filing the remainder. We dont have everything together yet to file everything at once. We just want to get the process started.

Timeline

i sent a scanned copy to USCIS. and got approved. its in NVC stage where you need originals

But it appears by the USCIS requirements you did not need to send it in with the I-130. In the VJ list you do but I believe you do not have to at first.

But it appears by the USCIS requirements you did not need to send it in with the I-130. In the VJ list you do but I believe you do not have to at first.

i didnt send it first but i got RFEd . then i had to send it(3 weeks ago). got NOA2 today

Timeline

i didnt send it first but i got RFEd . then i had to send it(3 weeks ago). got NOA2 today

REALLY, glad I wrote this ...did you have it translated ???

Its NOT ONE OF THE REQUIREMENTS ON THE USCIS SITE. I wonder why the rfed you.

Edited by Tradewind

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.