emjkitazawa

Any experience with Packet 3 coming from Tokyo Embassy?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello All.

I would appreciate some help as I've been searching and haven't found any information specific to the Tokyo Embassy regarding Packet 3.

My fiance and I received our NOA-2 on Aug. 12th.

We want to prepare as much as possible for Packet 3, and I believe there are some basic forms everyone must gather and prepare before the interview process (I have found a bit of info about this, as in, he needs the health check, certificates etc.). However, I was wondering if anyone has a good check-list specific to the Tokyo Embassy that you could share?

So far I am pretty sure we definitely will need:

Forms- I-134, DS-230, DS-156 , and DS-156K

Documents- Police Certificate and Birth Certificate, two Visa style photographs

Anything else he can start to prepare now for the Tokyo Embassy?

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello All.

I would appreciate some help as I've been searching and haven't found any information specific to the Tokyo Embassy regarding Packet 3.

My fiance and I received our NOA-2 on Aug. 12th.

We want to prepare as much as possible for Packet 3, and I believe there are some basic forms everyone must gather and prepare before the interview process (I have found a bit of info about this, as in, he needs the health check, certificates etc.). However, I was wondering if anyone has a good check-list specific to the Tokyo Embassy that you could share?

So far I am pretty sure we definitely will need:

Forms- I-134, DS-230, DS-156 , and DS-156K

Documents- Police Certificate and Birth Certificate, two Visa style photographs

Anything else he can start to prepare now for the Tokyo Embassy?

Thank you!

Hello,

I too am wondering the same thing. We got our NOA2 on Aug 13. I am wondering where to get police report (local station?), My fiance' is Filippino and I was also wondering how to get police report from Phils too. Which hospital to go for medical? Will the embassy contact us or do we have to send them something first? We also have already prepared I-134,DS156,DS230 and DS156K.

Thanks

Timeline

Hello,

I too am wondering the same thing. We got our NOA2 on Aug 13. I am wondering where to get police report (local station?), My fiance' is Filippino and I was also wondering how to get police report from Phils too. Which hospital to go for medical? Will the embassy contact us or do we have to send them something first? We also have already prepared I-134,DS156,DS230 and DS156K.

Thanks

Sounds like a similar situation to us. I don't know if you have found this page yet, but it was helpful in explaining some of the Japanese documents you need to gather: http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=8982

Hopefully someone with more experience with Tokyo embassy can help us both out.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Here are my old posts regarding my experience at the Tokyo embassy.

This is the checklist I used. The main embassy web site seems to have moved but the checklist is still there.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-niv-kchecklist.html

I started filing all the paperwork right after we got the NOA2. I probably jumped the gun but it ended up working for us. I made the appointment myself (from the US) and I traveled to Tokyo and we did the interview together.

Tokyo US Embassy information here

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/301540-tokyo-us-embassy-information-here/?hl=+ds#8208156=&page

Getting a head start on post NOA2 activity

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/296798-getting-a-head-start-on-post-noa2-activity/?hl=%2Bds%26%238208156

Timeline

Here are my old posts regarding my experience at the Tokyo embassy.

This is the checklist I used. The main embassy web site seems to have moved but the checklist is still there.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-niv-kchecklist.html

I started filing all the paperwork right after we got the NOA2. I probably jumped the gun but it ended up working for us. I made the appointment myself (from the US) and I traveled to Tokyo and we did the interview together.

Tokyo US Embassy information here

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/301540-tokyo-us-embassy-information-here/?hl=+ds#8208156=&page

Getting a head start on post NOA2 activity

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/296798-getting-a-head-start-on-post-noa2-activity/?hl=%2Bds%26%238208156

Wow! You are awesome thank you.

So it looks like you don't need to actually mail any of these docs to the Tokyo embassy, correct? You just bring the whole mass of docs with you to the interview directly?

When you translated, did you just do your own personal translation of the Japanese docs (such as police and birth certificates)?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the help . I have checked those links. So it is my understanding that we wait for the embassy to contact us first. Although we already have a head start on docs. The japan police report cannot be translated if it cannot be opened, (sealed) correct? What about not having immunization records ? Are they required or just suggested? Also, how to know where to go for japan police report. Can she go to any of the "main" offices? Also, does anyone have any tips for getting the police report from the Phils? So many things from Manila seem to be complicated or difficult. She will have to get japan and Phil's reports.

Thanks again

Timeline

Wow! You are awesome thank you.

So it looks like you don't need to actually mail any of these docs to the Tokyo embassy, correct? You just bring the whole mass of docs with you to the interview directly?

When you translated, did you just do your own personal translation of the Japanese docs (such as police and birth certificates)?

That's right. I didn't mail anything to the Tokyo embassy.

I made the appointment online before we received any of the packets. It's probably a better idea to wait and make the appointment after you get the packet though.

We took all the documents to the embassy and they gave us a folder along with a specified order to put all the documents.

We used a professional translation service just to be on the safe side for the koseki. The police document was sealed and didn't require translation.

I took pounds of documentation to the interview (in addition to the forms) and honestly most of it wasn't really required. We did the interview standing up and my portion was only ~5 minutes. Then we went nearby for breakfast. :)

Timeline

Thanks for the help . I have checked those links. So it is my understanding that we wait for the embassy to contact us first. Although we already have a head start on docs. The japan police report cannot be translated if it cannot be opened, (sealed) correct? What about not having immunization records ? Are they required or just suggested? Also, how to know where to go for japan police report. Can she go to any of the "main" offices? Also, does anyone have any tips for getting the police report from the Phils? So many things from Manila seem to be complicated or difficult. She will have to get japan and Phil's reports.

Thanks again

Yes, you should wait until the embassy sends the packet. Although like I mentioned I went ahead

and made the interview before the packet was delivered but there might be some risk with that approach.

And yes the police report is sealed and doesn't need translation. I believe the immunization records are required. My wife got the police report so I don't really know the details on that.

Timeline

That's right. I didn't mail anything to the Tokyo embassy.

I made the appointment online before we received any of the packets. It's probably a better idea to wait and make the appointment after you get the packet though.

We took all the documents to the embassy and they gave us a folder along with a specified order to put all the documents.

We used a professional translation service just to be on the safe side for the koseki. The police document was sealed and didn't require translation.

I took pounds of documentation to the interview (in addition to the forms) and honestly most of it wasn't really required. We did the interview standing up and my portion was only ~5 minutes. Then we went nearby for breakfast. smile.png

Great! It is tempting to go ahead and try to schedule the interview appointment now. But I think I will hold off at least until he has his police and koseki certifications in hand. The rest of the forms seem pretty straight forward to complete.

Sorry one last question, if you don't mind, could you tell me where they required the medical check be completed? I don't know if it will still be the same location for us, but it would be good to know. I'm mostly concerned with him having to wait to schedule the medical check and then there being a long wait at that hospital.

Thanks a bunch!biggrin.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Asia/East & Pacific regional subforum -- queries are country-specific. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.