spgood&Kisses

Consent for Minors to travel - form question for their Dad's consent

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, my fiancée in the Philippines has two minor children. We're preparing our fiancée visa application so she can come to the US and would like to know if there's a standard format for the Consent to Travel form for their Dad to sign so they can join us too. We understand that we'll need their Dad's consent for them to immigrate to the US. We'll get their visa application going as well, of course.

Any help you can give us is greatly appreciated.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Unmarried mother has sole custody of the children in the Philippines, nothing is needed from the father. Exception would be if the court granted something different to the father, which is highly unlikely.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

If the father will sign a letter allowing her to take the kids out, I would get it just in case. If he's not willing, then you'll hafta take the chance without it. Having it may calm the nerves of a twitchy customs agent. But I doubt it would raise a single eyebrow at NAIA. You have ticket, you have airport fee, you travel.

Timeline

Thanks for the nice input DavenRoxy! :) We are confident that the father will sign the consent *finger-crossed* :-) Our main concern is, is there any standard format from US Embassy for the "Consent to Travel from Other Parent" for applying K2 Visa for the kids?

Timeline

Yeah, we don't have problem with DSWD & Immigration in the Philippines. But when my fiance called to US Embassy a month ago, the Consent to Travel from Other Parent is needed and better to prepare during the interview. Our laywer is asking if there's any standard format from US Embassy... which we are not sure. She was trying to call the US Embassy in the Philippines but no luck to talk someone yet...

Sorry I'm not much help, we didn't have to deal with kids coming over. But be patient, I'm sure someone here who has dealt with it will be around to advise you!

Timeline

Thanks Hank for the info. Is that also if the mother is annulled from the father, and the father's name is on their birth certificates too?

Many on here that had an annulment travel to the USA without issue. And many times even for those never married the father's name is on the BC... still not an issue. Normal practice is for the mother to have sole custody of the children.

To date I have never heard of any mother traveling with their kids having an issue.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thanks for the input Hank! :) My fiancee has been travelling abroad as a tourist with her kids 3 times already but not here in US yet tho. She didn't encounter any problem for bringing her kids, no travel consent needed in airport immigration at all. We asked our lawyer for the Sole Custody and it will take another 9 months to 1 year process :( I do really love to bring my fiancee & together with her kids here in US with me. We only want to know if there's a any standard format of Consent to Travel from Other Parent from US Embassy? As our lawyer is asking for it... if none... our lawyer is willing to prepare one for us so her ex-husband could sign it.

Timeline

We had same problem as you. My fiancee is annulled and has 6 year old son. We prepared letter of consent but at interview we were never asked for it. We just had interview aug 22. Embassy here knows mother has sole custody of children especially ones under 7 years old. Using a lawyer is just waste of time and money.

Timeline

Thanks for the input Kcbowhunter! smile.png Does it work also if my fiancee has a kids, 13 years old & 8 years old too? I hope! smile.png

Yes totally fine. Mother has sole custody. Embassy WILL NOT ask for anything (regarding custody) and there will be no issue at NAIA as long as they have their visa, CFO sticker and all the fees are paid (of course ... they always what their fees! ;) )

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.