4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone! Hubs and I started our process in July... We filed on July 3rd and we have our interview coming up on the 21st... As I am compiling everything together for the interview, I realized that my husband doesn't have his physical birth certificate... Just a copy of it that his mother sent to us and the translation of it. I'm kind of freaking out!!!! Do we need to have his actual birth certificate for the interview or is the copy/translated copy going to be okay???

Also, what has everyone else done to bring your documents/proof/pictures in??? I've been putting everything in a binder (with dividers, etc,) I'm a crazy organizer and I can't just have this big stack of stuff to take with me!!

Help!!! Thanks!

Edited by reynolk2

Hi everyone! Hubs and I started our process in July... We filed on July 3rd and we have our interview coming up on the 21st... As I am compiling everything together for the interview, I realized that my husband doesn't have his physical birth certificate... Just a copy of it that his mother sent to us and the translation of it. I'm kind of freaking out!!!! Do we need to have his actual birth certificate for the interview or is the copy/translated copy going to be okay???

Also, what has everyone else done to bring your documents/proof/pictures in??? I've been putting everything in a binder (with dividers, etc,) I'm a crazy organizer and I can't just have this big stack of stuff to take with me!!

Help!!! Thanks!

In the instructions it states that a legitimate photocopies are ok unless specificaly requested so you should be ok. For peace of mind whilst you are waiting for approval get his mother to obtain and post a certified copy?

I am not stressing a lot about the documents to bring in. Will probably grab few statements for our joint account, some wedding receipts, few pictures should we have an interview at all.

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am not stressing a lot about the documents to bring in. Will probably grab few statements for our joint account, some wedding receipts, few pictures should we have an interview at all.

Good idea about birth certificate!!! Thanks!!

And you're lucky to not stress about it :) it has consumed my thoughts since before we even filed. Can't wait until its over!

Good idea about birth certificate!!! Thanks!!

And you're lucky to not stress about it :) it has consumed my thoughts since before we even filed. Can't wait until its over!

So sorry just realised you are talking about the interview not the application. It seems that you do need originals as per instructions found here http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=2da73a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=2da73a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

"6. Go to your interview (if applicable)

You may be notified of the date, time, and location for an interview at a USCIS office to answer questions under oath or affirmation regarding your application. You must attend all interviews when you receive a notice.

When you come to your interview, you (and the family member that filed the Form I-130 petition on your behalf, if applicable) must bring originals of all documentation submitted with this application including passports, official travel documents, and Form I-94 regardless if they are expired."

Getting that certified copy by post seem to be the safest option!

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.