RosaMystica7

France/America couples

2,690 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Bonjour!

Today, i received my family book, i didn't do the "publication des bans", they didn't request for an interview.

We send all the papers and we received our family book after 10 days.

Good luck

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Anglilla ran into this months ago. I didn't think I would... but I did.

This week-end I was in my husband hometown and my mother in law decided to take us to a seafood place.

I was stunned when I saw on the erasing board that instead of French fries they had written down Freedom Fries. Same on the board above the counter.

I was shocked and really really pissed off and offended.

We're in 2008, the reasons of the Freedom fries was because France was protesting the Irak war saying that there were no weapons of mass destructions. Well guess what? It was proven that there are none!

I didn't make a scene because my mother in law likes to eat there and she had no idea what the freedom fries meant. But I am never eating there again.

I have an interesting subject for us to talk about... I didn't think it'd be one that we'd run up against. Predjudice against French. :mellow: SC and I have had to deal with nasty remarks about French a few times lately. Like at a garage sale we ran at mom's house, one guy rambled on for about a good 20 minutes about how the French didn't help Americans in the war however many years ago and all these other reasons that he hates French people... AFTER SC told him that he's from France! And today while driving the car in front of us had a bumper sticker that said "Boycott France" with a French flag with a line through it. I thought the days of the "freedom fries" instead of "french fries" were over but I guess not. Has anyone else run into this?

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline
Bonjour!

Today, i received my family book, i didn't do the "publication des bans", they didn't request for an interview.

We send all the papers and we received our family book after 10 days.

Good luck

Lucky you! I submitted all my paperworks back in march and am still waiting. I called the consulate on Friday and they told me it could take up to 5 months. Yikes. My consulate is not in any rush as it seems.

Congrats to you!

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Timeline
Anglilla ran into this months ago. I didn't think I would... but I did.

This week-end I was in my husband hometown and my mother in law decided to take us to a seafood place.

I was stunned when I saw on the erasing board that instead of French fries they had written down Freedom Fries. Same on the board above the counter.

I was shocked and really really pissed off and offended.

We're in 2008, the reasons of the Freedom fries was because France was protesting the Irak war saying that there were no weapons of mass destructions. Well guess what? It was proven that there are none!

I didn't make a scene because my mother in law likes to eat there and she had no idea what the freedom fries meant. But I am never eating there again.

I have an interesting subject for us to talk about... I didn't think it'd be one that we'd run up against. Predjudice against French. :mellow: SC and I have had to deal with nasty remarks about French a few times lately. Like at a garage sale we ran at mom's house, one guy rambled on for about a good 20 minutes about how the French didn't help Americans in the war however many years ago and all these other reasons that he hates French people... AFTER SC told him that he's from France! And today while driving the car in front of us had a bumper sticker that said "Boycott France" with a French flag with a line through it. I thought the days of the "freedom fries" instead of "french fries" were over but I guess not. Has anyone else run into this?

I am sorry, Cecy. It sucks big time. Weird that they still have freedom fries. I thought we were over and done with those.

Timeline

Can't they just call them "fries"? that would solve the problem.

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

I just realized that Bryan probably didn't change the address on the new intent of letter he sent me last week. From what the guides said, it should be addressed to the US embassy in Paris, but he probably left the address of USCIS.

Should I ask him to send a new one or will this one be good enough for the embassy?

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline
I just realized that Bryan probably didn't change the address on the new intent of letter he sent me last week. From what the guides said, it should be addressed to the US embassy in Paris, but he probably left the address of USCIS.

Should I ask him to send a new one or will this one be good enough for the embassy?

I haven't gone through that process, but my though would be that it's ok because the date is more important and that all and all it's for immigration anyway. But those who went through the embassy might tell you different.

I-751

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline

I have a question.

I am the USC. John works and lives and France. But is a Dutch Citizen... Does this cause any issues? Or is it more residence? He has been in France 3 years. Thanks guys. All your stories help so much!!! We will be filing the soon :)

Also seems depending where the fiance is from, the approvals seem faster. Maybe it is all circumstance.

Thanks!

Timeline
I have a question.

I am the USC. John works and lives and France. But is a Dutch Citizen... Does this cause any issues? Or is it more residence? He has been in France 3 years. Thanks guys. All your stories help so much!!! We will be filing the soon :)

Also seems depending where the fiance is from, the approvals seem faster. Maybe it is all circumstance.

Thanks!

If he is living in France I believe he will go through the Paris Embassy. They wouldn't require people to go back to their home country for it. Imagine if you are from Thailand and you live in Brazil ....

I-751

French Thread I

French Thread II

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Oh and i forget to mention: We got our interview notice in the mail on June 6th.

Interview in July.

Very exciting :)

I-751

French Thread I

French Thread II

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I received my "livret de famille", was all excited till i realized that they mispelled my dad's first name, they wrote "Jean, Claude" instead of "Jean-Claude".

I am not sure if it matters or not but will call the Consulate on Monday. :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

How long did it take them to send it to you?

I-129F Sent : 2007-07-12

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-07-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-12-12

NVC Left : 2008-01-17

Packet 3 Received : 2008-02-01

Packet 4 Received : 2008-03-05

Interview Date : 2008-03-20

Visa Received : 2008-03-26

US Entry : 2008-05-04

Marriage : 2008-05-23

Timeline
How long did it take them to send it to you?

4 months but i didn't do "la publication des bans".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
I received my "livret de famille", was all excited till i realized that they mispelled my dad's first name, they wrote "Jean, Claude" instead of "Jean-Claude".

Hello,

I'm curious, i would like to know what they replied you when you called.

I have the same problem with my new name, i chose to hyphen my maiden name and my husband name, but they just add the 2 names without the hyphen, when we called USCIS, they said us, that it is not a big problem, that they receive a lot of calls concerning that and they added that i can write my new name with the hyphen.

I'm a little disturb about the fact that USCIS removed the hyphen.

Thank you

Timeline

Hello,

I'm curious, i would like to know what they replied you when you called.

I have the same problem with my new name, i chose to hyphen my maiden name and my husband name, but they just add the 2 names without the hyphen, when we called USCIS, they said us, that it is not a big problem, that they receive a lot of calls concerning that and they added that i can write my new name with the hyphen.

I'm a little disturb about the fact that USCIS removed the hyphen.

Thank you

USCIS and the Consulat of France are two different things.

For USCIS I wouldn't worry about it too much. They tend to get rid of hiphens and usually skip also the middle name. As long as the social security has it right it's not a problem.

Plus you haven't had an interview yet and it will be a while anyway. When comes the interview, talk with the immigration officer and see if they can put the hyphen on your green card.

With the French Consulate it's a bit different because the livret de famille is also were you write down the name of the children and if the last name is not done write it could mess things up with the children's (not sure though).

Edited by Cécy

I-751

French Thread I

French Thread II

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.