RosaMystica7

France/America couples

2,690 posts in this topic

Hi Fred,

First, good luck with your interview on the 11th. Please let us know how it goes! My husband (fiance at the time) said that it was pretty easy. You can read my review of the interview in the Embassy Reviews for Paris, as well as POE experience.

As far as your questions:

1. My husband bought a round trip ticket because it was cheaper. Just didn't use the return.

2. My husband went through JFK in order to get the temp EAD stamp. He got the stamp, but no place would hire him because it was only a "temporary" work stamp, and he couldn't guarantee when the EAD or green card would arrive. So, to us, it wasn't worth the 7 hour round trip drive from Boston.

3. As soon as my husband got the EAD, he interviewed and was offered a job within the first week. He is in the hospitality industry, so they may be more "tolerant" of foreigners. I honestly believe his French accent helped secure him the job! (He was offered a job during his interview!)

Good luck!

Hello everyone,

Well, not that anyone really care about this but I have my interview at the embassy schedule for December 11th. I am spending thanksgiving with my fiancee in the US so that's good. The turkey is in the oven and football is on, ahahah!

I have a couple questions for those who made it through the VISA journey:

- Did you take a one way ticket when you came to finally move in with your fiance? I am getting confused because I found one way ticket for like 3000 euros and round trip tickets are like around 500 euros so I don't know what to do.

- Is it really worth it to try to go through JFK to have that temporary work stamp that I heard about? Did anyone do that? Are companies willing to hire you with that stamp?

Oh and I would also like to know how hard it was to find a job for you. I know we all have different backgrounds, skills etc and that the jobmarket depends on where you are but I'd still like to know.

Well, happy thanksgiving to all of you!

Fred

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hi BostonParis,

How current was the employment letter and affidavit of support that your husband took to his visa interview? I have those for Fred already, but they were dated back in the beginning of September, the last time he was visiting me. I was just wondering if I should get him more current ones before he goes back for the interview, of if they even care.

Thanks,

Kim

K-1 Timeline

04/26/07 - I-129F sent

05/23/07 - NOA1

09/07/07 - NOA2

10/09/07 - NVC

10/20/07 - Packet 3

10/27/07 - Packet 4

11/07/07 - Medical

12/11/07 - Interview

12/25/07 - POE Chicago

AOS Timeline

01/18/08 - Wedding

01/24/08 - AOS Packet Sent

01/27/08 - NOAs for AOS, EAD, and AP

03/27/08 - AP Received

05/01/08 - EAD Received

08/06/08 - RFE for I-485

08/18/08 - Case Resumed

08/26/08 - Card Production Ordered (no interview)

08/29/08 - Welcome Letter Received

09/02/08 - Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

I am new on this website.

I met my boyfriend two years ago and after two years of long-distance relationship, we are ready to marry each other. We haven't started sending the forms for a K-1, because right now we are still looking for the different options we have (which are K-1 or J-1 + waiver since I found a company over there that wants to hire me), we want to make sure which option is the best. In both cases, we will have to make a decision very soon so... the process will be started in a few weeks.

Anyway... I just want to say that it is good to know that there are many people in the same situation as us :)

I hope to read from all of you soon!

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
because right now we are still looking for the different options we have (which are K-1 or J-1 + waiver since I found a company over there that wants to hire me), we want to make sure which option is the best. In both cases, we will have to make a decision very soon so... the process will be started in a few weeks.

hello,

Be careful of the J-1 thing... i think if u got one and want to do a k1 or k3 visa after you might have to wait 2 years after the end of the J-1....but i'm not sure..... check it out

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Timeline

Yes, that is why I wanted to take the time to read everything and find all the information I need.

Apparently the J-1 visa I would have wouldn't be subject to the 2 year rule. But even like this, it seems that it would be a lot 'easier' to do the K-1 instead! (and we'd really like to get married too!!)

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline
Yes, that is why I wanted to take the time to read everything and find all the information I need.

Apparently the J-1 visa I would have wouldn't be subject to the 2 year rule. But even like this, it seems that it would be a lot 'easier' to do the K-1 instead! (and we'd really like to get married too!!)

I've done a j1 before. The basic rule that I remember is that you are subject to the 2 year weaver if you get financial help from your government or the American government (and you have to prove your financial status at the interview).

Don't hesitate to compare the fees since the J1 also requires insurance and all kinds of things. I'm not sure which one is the best, but it seems to me that coming with a k1 things run a bit more smoothly and can be faster in the AOS process than when you come with an other visa, I might be completely wrong but that's how I feel about it.

Let us know if you have questions. I came on a B2 (tourism) visa this time and I'm now adjusting to AOS.

By the way there are way to get a waiver for the 2 years in case you are getting married and all that, not sure how though, but I heard it's feasable.

Good luck on your journey.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline
it seems to me that coming with a k1 things run a bit more smoothly and can be faster in the AOS process than when you come with an other visa

Yes that's exactly what I am thinking now. The AOS process after a J-1 seems to take very long in some cases (even without the need of a weaver for the 2 year rule)!

We have decided that we are going to start getting everything for the K-1. I still have 2 days to make a decision since I told the company that I would give them my decision Friday, but I think I already know what we are going to do :)

Good luck on your journey.

Thank you :)

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

Fred had his interview yesterday and he was approved! He said it went pretty smoothly and that nothing strange came up. His visa was mailed out to him today so hopefully he gets it in the next couple days and he can book the last plane ticket here! I'm so glad that this part of the process is almost over and we don't have to live apart anymore. Thanks for all who offered us advice!

K-1 Timeline

04/26/07 - I-129F sent

05/23/07 - NOA1

09/07/07 - NOA2

10/09/07 - NVC

10/20/07 - Packet 3

10/27/07 - Packet 4

11/07/07 - Medical

12/11/07 - Interview

12/25/07 - POE Chicago

AOS Timeline

01/18/08 - Wedding

03/27/08 - AP Received

05/01/08 - EAD Received

08/06/08 - RFE for I-485

08/18/08 - Case Resumed

Timeline

Congratulations !!!

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Congrats on the interview! (And I apologize, I didn't see your question to me until just now... there hasn't been movement on this thread in forever, so I forgot all about it!)

Remove Conditions

Timeline

Hi everyone,

It sure feels good to have the VISA in hand and thank you so much for those who helped, this site is very useful eventhough some posts just make me want to kill myself... However this whole thing is not done. Though we finally have the right to spend our lives together, which is the mail goal, I still need to be able to work and having to sit on my ### for 3 months is not something I particularly look forward to but oh well...I'm wondering what people do while waiting for their EAD but I'm guessing they sit on their ###, drink mountain and watch football, ahahaha!

For those who went through AOS, I'd like to know how you got your birth certificate translated and what is the cheapest way to do it. I also looked through the AOS process and I want to know what did you do for vaccination records. Did you have the I-693A enclosed in the "do not open" VISA envelop or did you have to see a civil surgeon to get that form?

Thanks a lot

Fred

K-1 Timeline

04/26/07 - I-129F sent

05/23/07 - NOA1

09/07/07 - NOA2

10/09/07 - NVC

10/20/07 - Packet 3

10/27/07 - Packet 4

11/07/07 - Medical

12/11/07 - Interview

12/25/07 - POE Chicago

AOS Timeline

01/18/08 - Wedding

03/27/08 - AP Received

05/01/08 - EAD Received

08/06/08 - RFE for I-485

08/18/08 - Case Resumed

Hi everyone,

It sure feels good to have the VISA in hand and thank you so much for those who helped, this site is very useful eventhough some posts just make me want to kill myself... However this whole thing is not done. Though we finally have the right to spend our lives together, which is the mail goal, I still need to be able to work and having to sit on my ### for 3 months is not something I particularly look forward to but oh well...I'm wondering what people do while waiting for their EAD but I'm guessing they sit on their ###, drink mountain and watch football, ahahaha!

For those who went through AOS, I'd like to know how you got your birth certificate translated and what is the cheapest way to do it. I also looked through the AOS process and I want to know what did you do for vaccination records. Did you have the I-693A enclosed in the "do not open" VISA envelop or did you have to see a civil surgeon to get that form?

Thanks a lot

Fred

We had his birth certificate translated through a translation service here in Boston.

For the vaccination records, we actually just submitted the vaccination worksheet.

As far as not working for 3 months, try to enjoy it. You'll never have an opportunity to not work for 3 months again, so take advantage of it. Do nothing, or do everything you want to do but never seem to have the time. Trust me, those three months will fly by, and all of a sudden you'll say, "OMG, I can't believe I have to go to work tomorrow!!"

Remove Conditions

Hello French Group.

I have a question for anyone from France. My Sos niece lives in Le Havre and wants to come live in the United States. My husband has been telling her how great it is to live in the United States and that the racism is less than France. I don't think she is used to working the way we do here and she does not drive either. I have told her that without having the proper VISAS she won't be able to work etc. and she should visit before attempting to stay. As a French national, how much time is usally given on a visitor's visa?

Thanks,

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Timeline
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot

Fred

I translated it myself. So far they don't seem to mind, other people did the same and had no problems with it at all.

I didn't come with a K1 so in my case all the medical was done together and all of it was in a sealed envelop.

As far as the 3 months, don't hesitate to volunteer around you. Volunteering is legal and it's a great way to meet new people and create a network that will be helpful when comes the time to work.

Enjoy being together again.

Chispas: A French person can go to the US and visit for 90 days through the Visa Waiver Program (no visa required). If she wishes to obtain a visa it will be a visa that allows 6 months visit and that you can use during a 10 year period.

I definitely agree that visiting the US is a first good step for her. Obtaining a working visa isn't easy, but there is the J-1 option to consider.

She should also try other cities in Europe before the US though. Moving through Europe is a lot easier than going to the US.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everybody!

Our petition for K1 has just been approved and I'm starting to prepare for the next step which is the Embassy interview.

I have a few questions regarding the Paris US Embassy.

I have spent 9 months in England in a university and I was wondering if they would require a police record. I've heard that they require one if you have spent more than 6 months abroad but I've heard the same if you've spent more than a year there.

I would like to know which medical exams I'll have to do, which vaccinations and which ones I can do where I live before going to the appointment and to the medical in Paris.

I also have a few questions about the move to the USA. It seems that a round trip is cheaper but I'd like to know if you're allowed more lugguage if you say you're moving to the USA.

Has any of you shipped stuff by boat?

Edited by caro06

I-129F Sent : 2007-07-12

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-07-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-12-12

NVC Left : 2008-01-17

Packet 3 Received : 2008-02-01

Packet 4 Received : 2008-03-05

Interview Date : 2008-03-20

Visa Received : 2008-03-26

US Entry : 2008-05-04

Marriage : 2008-05-23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.