WifeOHunkyJohn

travelling with AP

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Ok so we got our AP in the post yesterday and I am so excited at the prospect of seeing my family again after almost 18 months. Anyway, I have used the search function on VJ and tried to find people who used AP and their experiences of it, but the search feature kept coming up with just regular questions posted on AP or any instances where Advance and/or Parole was typed in the forum - maybe it just doesn't like me, I don't know.

Anyway, I would really really appreciate it if people would post their experiences of using AP and would particularly like to hear from anyone who came in through LAX.

Look forward to the feedback and thank you all in advance.

:)

2005 August 27th Happily Married

Filed: Timeline

Well, I used mine twice. Nothing to be scared of. Left the US for two months. Came back. Left again for three months, came back. No problems at POE. Went through the visitors line as I hadn't received my GC at that point in time. I work internationally so it's vital that AP or, subsequently, the GC works without any hitch and I'm happy to say it does.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Oh I could hug you

Thank you for the reassurance. When I first posted and nobody replied I wanted to cry as I was so excited about seeing my family after so long, and then started to worry that the AP was a nightmare to use or something.

Thank you once again for your success story and for letting me know it's easy to go in and out on AP.

2005 August 27th Happily Married

Filed: Timeline

WifeOHunkyJohn,

I don't think the problem is your search ability or the VJ search engine - the majority of VJers seem to ask questions in advance but not return to the issue and report the experience they had afterward.

Yodrak

Ok so we got our AP in the post yesterday and I am so excited at the prospect of seeing my family again after almost 18 months. Anyway, I have used the search function on VJ and tried to find people who used AP and their experiences of it, but the search feature kept coming up with just regular questions posted on AP or any instances where Advance and/or Parole was typed in the forum - maybe it just doesn't like me, I don't know.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I used my AP once (later I travelled with the green card). And I did post my experience, but before I travelled I did a search, and I guess it works better with travel permit instead of advance parole, but anyhoo... this is what goes on when you travel with AP.

First of all, issue your travel tickets in the same name that is shown in your PASSPORT, then when you're leaving the country you have to turn in your I-94. When you're coming back, the airline is most likely to ask to see your AP document, since your passport does not have a valid visa). When you come thru customs/immigration at your POE, you have to show your passport and your AP document, you probably received two copies, they are going to stamp and date both of them, and you will receive ONE back, you can travel later with that same document until the validity of the document. You dont have to fill the I-94 when you come back.

Just for back up, bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate, and if you have your interview letter also bring a copy, or if you dont have an interview letter, bring the NOA's for your AOS and EAD.

It's really not complicated to travel using your AP, I had absolutely no problems, so good luck and congratulations on going back home... :)

Ana

PS: If the officer does not have the proper stamps, they will send you to 'secondary inspection' or just send you to whomever has the right stamps. Dont freak out if they tell you to go somewhere before stamping your AP. I got a lil nervous, cause I didnt know what was going on. But I think it's pretty normal to be sent elsewhere for the correct stamp.

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
We just got my wife's AP in the mail today but it in there somewhere it gives the impression that the border person can just yank you if they want to...the wording makes me uneasy about us going to Canada for the holidays...

I know...

That's why you travel with marriage certificate, ID's and all the NOA's from your AOS. I dont think many people have had trouble using the AP, at least they are not posted here.

Dont worry too much, but be prepared with your documentation...

Good luck and Happy Holidays....

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I used my AP twice as well - I was pulled in on both occasions, first time was a 5 minute wait and the second time was a hour and a half wait. Both times was at Newark. I was just asked a couple of simple questions. I also took a copy of my marriage licence with me because my passport had my old name on it.

But all in all, it was nothing to worry about :thumbs:

Pauline (F)

My NEW UK Website!!!

[/b]K1 Visa Timeline. USA - England. Through VSC[/b][/b][/u]

30th Dec - Sent I-129F to Vermont

31th Dec - Vermont Received Package

8th Jan - NOA1

16th Jan - NOA2 (8 days)

23rd Jan - NVC receives file

28th Jan - NVC sends petition on to London

02 Feb - London received petition

09 Feb - Packet 3 received from Embassy in London

11 Feb - Package 3 returned to London Embassy (Holds breath now)

4th Mar - INTERVIEW DATE!! - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

8th Mar - Flight booked to Newark NJ

8th Mar - ARRIVED IN MY BABES ARMS!!!!

10th Apr - MARRIED at Niagra Falls (USA Side)

26 Apri - Received Social Security Number

23rd Apr - Posted AOS and EAD

14 May - NOA for AOS (online 11 May) (and rejection for EAD (forgot to tick a box))!

17th May - sent EAD back

7th Jun - NOA1 for EAD

25 Jun - (AOS & EAD) Fingerprints and bio's at Philly

8th Jul - E-Filed for AP - NOA1 given 3 hours later

4th Aug - RFE for AP (via e-mail) documents lost!

6th Aug - RFE for AP via e-mail

9th Aug - Resent AP with new documents

16th Aug - NOA1 for AP received by post

24th Aug - AP APPROVED (via e-mail)

2nd Sep - AP arrives in mail!

10th Sep - EAD transferred to Vermont

16th Sep - Received NOA1 transfer to Vermont

20th Oct - DENIED EAD! :( entered wrong code -20th May - AOS Interview Date - NOT going. 28th June - GOING HOME TO UK

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I used my AP twice as well - I was pulled in on both occasions, first time was a 5 minute wait and the second time was a hour and a half wait. Both times was at Newark. I was just asked a couple of simple questions. I also took a copy of my marriage licence with me because my passport had my old name on it.

Pauline (F)

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Used my AP once, went through JFK POE, had relatively easy time of it -- was sent to secondary processing for about 20 minutes by a cranky officer, but that's about it.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Anthony traveled twice on his AP, as well. Both times, we went through Dublin POE. the second time we traveled was right after the london bomb plot was foiled, so the airline was extra-cautious about his documents, and they had to get their supervisor to look at the AP, as the girl working the counter had never seen one. :blink:

both times traveling on AP, Anthony was pulled to secondary inspection, but it was nothing to worry about. Just be sure you allow extra time for connecting flights, etc.

Use that AP and go see your family!! have a wonderful holiday!

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My hubby went through JFK POE and he had no trouble. He had to go to a different room because they needed the proper stamp for the AP so don't worry if that happens. I warned him ahead of time that they might do that so he wasn't surprised when they did.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Pauline (F)

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Hi, Cassie,

thanks for the feedback. Did you ever drive into Canada with AP?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.